7 Replies Latest reply on Jul 21, 2014 11:41 PM by Charlie Groh

Photoshop CS-6 does not open images from Lightroom 5

derMueller Level 1

I do have Photoshop CS-6 and Lightroom 5.  Nearly all images were created in a Windows 7 (64 bit) environment.  I have moved platforms to MAC. I have moved all images and the Catalog. I have changed platform to MAC. I am now using MAC OS-X (10.9.1).

I am able to see all images in Lightroom, I am able to modify all images in Lightroom. I can export the images to Jpeg (for example) from Lightroom.  I do have a warining at several images in Lightroom = "metadates have been changed - would you like to overwrite data or import ?"

First time I have tried to open an Image from Lightroom (hand over) Photoshop opens, but does not show any picture and no error message. But when I then look to recently opened files, the image is in the list. When I do click on this, Photoshop shows and error message: "the datamodule can not handle the file format" (which is either RAW or jpeg).

Another expirience is, when I try to open directly from Photoshop any other image, Photoshop ignores the XMP and opens the original file without any modification.

• 1. Re: Photoshop CS-6 does not open images from Lightroom 5
          D Fosse Adobe Community Professional & MVP

derMueller wrote:

Another expirience is, when I try to open directly from Photoshop any other image, Photoshop ignores the XMP and opens the original file without any modification.

That's normal if the raw files were originally edited in Lightroom. Lightroom stores all edits in the catalog, not the xmp sidecar. You can set Lightroom to write to xmp as well, but that slows it down a little and so it's off by default. The Lightroom shortcut ctrl/cmd+S will also save to xmp.

I do have a warining at several images in Lightroom = "metadates have been changed - would you like to overwrite data or import ?"

That's related to the above, and also normal if you go the other way - edit in ACR and then move to Lightroom. It'll then be in xmp, but not the Lightroom catalog.

As for the missing on-screen image, that's a common video driver bug (although I suppose other causes are possible). For Windows you can download updated drivers directly from the manufacturer's website, but that's not possible with Mac. You'll have to wait for Apple to fix it.

• 2. Re: Photoshop CS-6 does not open images from Lightroom 5
            derMueller Level 1

Thanks for the quick response. I thought I have selected that Lightroom stores the changes in xmp, but I am not sure and I will check it. 

As long as there is a "bug in the video driver" do you have a "work arround".  I want to open in Photoshop in image already modified in Lightroom. Thank you

• 3. Re: Photoshop CS-6 does not open images from Lightroom 5
              D Fosse Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I'm not a Mac user, and not really up to date on video card issues anyway...but one thing to try is always to uncheck "Use Graphics Processor" under Preferences > Performance. It can also be set to "Basic" rather than "Normal" or "Advanced".

• 4. Re: Photoshop CS-6 does not open images from Lightroom 5
                derMueller Level 1

Unfortunately both tipp's have not helped.  I am still not able to open images in Photoshop.

• 5. Re: Photoshop CS-6 does not open images from Lightroom 5
                  Markota99

Hi - I'm having the exact same problem going from Lightroom 5 to Photoshop CC. I got them both on the photographers package through the creative cloud, and rather naively expected them to be compatable.

If I select a RAW file in Lightroom then 'edit in' and select photosop CC, photoshop opens but no image appears.  I've searched the internet and the only thing I've discovered is that many other eople have the same issue, no one seems to have a solution though!

• 6. Re: Photoshop CS-6 does not open images from Lightroom 5
                    derMueller Level 1

Somehow there must be a bug, I have tried everything without success.  But now I do have a good "workarround". I created an export preset in Lightroom which exports my image into psd, the last step open the image in Phtoshop. The only thing which you need to do is to delete the psd file, when you do not need it anyymore (e.g. when I only use an export function of Photoshop). But the "workarround" is quite comfortable.

Bildschirmfoto 2014-02-09 um 21.16.03.png

• 7. Re: Photoshop CS-6 does not open images from Lightroom 5
                      Charlie Groh

...the solution is to find the CC Photoshop uninstaller and do that.  Then restart Creative Cloud Manager and re-install.  This *after* making sure your LR edition was the CC version.