18 Replies Latest reply on Jan 30, 2014 8:18 AM by A.T. Romano

Premiere Elements 9.0 will not open

DavidBrum

In August 2011 I purchased Adobe Premiere Elements 9.0 with a new Dell PC using Windows 7 64-bit. Since then I have used Premiere Elements many times for video editing without problems. The last time I used it was about 3 months ago. This week I tried to use Premiere Elements, but was unable to load it. The software would start to load up to the point of displaying the full screen with task bar, but without showing the individual “panes”, at which point it appeared to freeze. If I then tried to use the drop down menus (File/New/Project or Files/Open Project) an error message would pop up saying “Sorry, a serious error has occurred that requires Adobe Premiere Elements to shut down. We will attempt to save your current project.” after which the program would shut down. I have tried unistalling and reinstalling Premiere Elements, but it has not solved the problem. Any ideas how to fix it?

• 1. Re: Premiere Elements 9.0 will not open
          the_wine_snob Level 9

David,

Welcome to the forum.

One of the most common causes of PrE not launching is an obsolete video driver. This can happen via several means, but one is an OS update.

1. What is your video card/chip (both make and model)?
          2. What is the installed version of your video driver?
          3. Is that the latest from the nVidia, or AMD/ATI (or with a Dell, from their Web site)?

If you do not have the latest video driver, I would download and install that, from the mfgr's. Web site, and test.

Good luck, and please report back.

Hunt

• 2. Re: Premiere Elements 9.0 will not open
            John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

What is your exact brand/model graphics adapter (ATI or nVidia or ???)

What is your exact graphics adapter driver version?

Have you gone to the vendor web site to check for a newer driver?

-If Windows, do NOT rely on Windows Update to have current driver information

-you need to go direct to the vendor web site and check updates for yourself

ATI Driver Autodetect http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/auto-detect-tool

nVidia Driver Downloads http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

• 3. Re: Premiere Elements 9.0 will not open
              DavidBrum Level 1

Thanks for your reply. My graphics card is 1GB AMD Radeon HD 6670. As you suggested, I downloaded the latest driver from the AMD website, but it has not fixed the problem - Premiere Elements 9.0 still will not open.

I wonder if there is a conflict with other software on my PC. New software that I have recently installed on my PC includes: Amazon Cloud Player 2.2.0, Steam Client Application v012, Cakewalk Music Creator 6.0, Serif DrawPlus X4, and Serif PagePlus X5. There have also been regular Windows updates from Microsoft.

Do you have any suggestions?

• 4. Re: Premiere Elements 9.0 will not open
                A.T. Romano Level 7

DavidBrum

If the Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1 problem set in after the installs of any one of the programs installed, then you should rule that factor in or out for each systematically. Each would be a prime candidate for troubleshooting exploration.

But, before you do that, let us try deleting the Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1 settings file. In Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit, it can be found in the path

Local Disk C

Users

Owner

AppData

Roaming

Adobe

Premiere Elements Folder

9.0 Folder

and in the 9.0 Folder is the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file that you delete. If that does not correct the problem, then deleted the whole 9.0 Folder in which the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file exists.

IMPORTANT

a. Make sure you are working with Folder Option Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives active so you can see the complete path.

b. Do not detour or get lured into a Premiere Elements 9.0 Folder instead of the Premiere Elements Folder/then 9.0 Folder.

Please let us know the outcome.

Thank you.

ATR

• 5. Re: Premiere Elements 9.0 will not open
                  DavidBrum Level 1

A T Romano

Many thanks for your advice. Deleting the file Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs did not make any difference. However, after deleting the 9.0 Folder I was able to start Premier Elements for a NEW project, but I could not load any previous projects. Also, after starting Premiere Elements the 9.0 Folder and its constituent files were reinstated, so I would need to keep deleting the 9.0 Folder every time to start a new project.

This seems to be some progress, but the inability to load previous projects and the need to keep deleting the 9.0 Folder are serious limitations.

Do you have any further suggestions?

DavidBrum

• 6. Re: Premiere Elements 9.0 will not open
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

DavidBrum

Thanks for the update.

From what I read, am I right in understanding that even the new project (made possible after the deletion of the 9.0 Folder) runs into problems when you go to open it after you have saved/closed it?

If that is correct, then I think that looking for an conflicting program

Amazon Cloud Player 2.2.0, Steam Client Application v012, Cakewalk Music Creator 6.0, Serif DrawPlus X4, and Serif PagePlus X5

among those that you mentioned might be the next step, starting with the most likely. I would suggest uninstall/ccleaner run through/reinstall with antivirus and firewalls off, but you appear to have been there and done that (or something similar) already.

We will be watching for further developments.

Thanks for the follow ups. Much appreciated.

ATR

• 7. Re: Premiere Elements 9.0 will not open
                      janedman

Hi, I have exactly the same problem. Worked fine a couple of months a go, should capture some video this Sunday and experienced the same problem as DavidBrum.

I have a Sony VPCF11S, 64 bit Win 7 and Nvidia graphic card with updated software. I treid the workaround suggested above and got the same result. After deleting the 9.0 folder it worked, but when I opend an existing project the program tells it "will attempt to save your current project.” after which the program would shut down. When I try to open the program by clicking on an old project it starts, loads and then closes totally without any messages.

I have also tried to reinstall the program without success.

Best rregards

janedman

• 8. Re: Premiere Elements 9.0 will not open
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

janedman

Please confirm that the problem exists even if you open a new project.

Thanks.

ATR

• 9. Re: Premiere Elements 9.0 will not open
                          GautamBahl Adobe Employee

Hi Janedman,

Please try to run Premiere elements 9 in compatibility mode.

Right click on premiere elements 9 and click on properties.

Click on the compatibility tab and check the option "Run this program in compatibility mode" and choose the OS as Windows XP.

Also try the below steps if the above does not help you out.

Choose Start > Documents.

Navigate to the following folder

Adobe/Premiere Elements/9.0

Rename the Styles folder to Old Styles.

Start Adobe Premiere Elements and check again.

Thanks

• 10. Re: Premiere Elements 9.0 will not open
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

GautamBahl

Could you please explain the rationale behind running Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1 in the Windows XP mode compatibility mode in a Windows 7 64 bit computer environment? I have always found Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1 to be perfectly compatible with Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit computer system as well as Windows XP 32 bit.

Thank you.

ATR

• 11. Re: Premiere Elements 9.0 will not open
                              janedman Level 1

Hi ATR and GuatamBahl, thanks for trying to help.

Unfortunately nothing helped.

The problem is there when I try to open a new projekt.

Changing to compatibility mode did not help. Renaming Styles folder to Old styles did not help. These two tests were done running in compatibility mode.

Thanks

janedman

• 12. Re: Premiere Elements 9.0 will not open
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

janedman

Thanks for the update. Sorry that the news was not better.

Have you gone done the road of the uninstall, ccleaner run through, and then reinstall with antivirus and firewalls turned off?

For that matter, have you looked at your present situation with the antivirus and firewalls turned off when you open the new project?

If you have not pursued any of the above and need more details on that, please let us know.

Do you confirm that you are working with the 9.0.1 Update version of 9? What is the state of your Adobe Premiere Elements Previews Folder and Media Cache Folder (Libraries/Documents/Adobe/Premiere Elements/9.0 if default location)? Any pile ups of preview files and conformed audio?

More later.

Thanks.

ATR

• 13. Re: Premiere Elements 9.0 will not open
                                  janedman Level 1

ATR,

I run ccleaner, the free version, tested, did not work. I then switched off firewall (MacAffee) and antivirus (MacAfee). Success! Premiere Elements works. Swithched on firewall, still working, swithced on antivurus real time scan, not working anymore. So it is the antivurus that prevents Premiere 9 to work.

One workaround is then to work offline and shut off antivirus but it would be good if this could be fixed more permanent.

I am on Pre 9.0.1

Thanks

Jan

• 14. Re: Premiere Elements 9.0 will not open
                                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Jan

Great news except for the antivirus affects here. Great job tracking down the antivirus contribution to the Premiere Elements problems.

Have you given thought to exploring another antivirus program? There are many. I go with the free type.

On my desktop Windows 7 Professional SP1 64 bit, I am currently using the free Microsoft Security Essentials. It has been in place for a few years now along with a spyblaster program. So far no security issues.

When I had Microsoft Security Essentials on Windows XP Professional SP3 32 bit, I had problems opening Premiere Elements programs. It is a repeatable issue for me on XP. I finally ended up with Windows Defender there. No security issues to date.

Please let us know what you decide.

Thanks.

ATR

• 15. Re: Premiere Elements 9.0 will not open
                                      janedman Level 1

ATR,

thanks for your advice, it was really helpful. I unisnstalled MacAffee and installed Microsoft Security Essentials instead. This was an easy decision to take.

Premiere Elemnets starts up, I can load projekts and play my footage in the editor. So it seems to work fine. I will let you know if I run in to any problems in the future.

Many thanks

janedman

• 16. Re: Premiere Elements 9.0 will not open
                                        A.T. Romano Level 7

janedman

Wonderful news. So glad that the switch in antivirus programs worked for you.

Hope smooth video editor moving forward.

Best wishes.

ATR

• 17. Re: Premiere Elements 9.0 will not open
                                          DavidBrum Level 1

ATR/janedman,

Many thanks for your recent posts. I also use McAfee SecurityCenter and in the past I have used Premiere Elements 9.0 alongside it without any problems. However, I just tried disabling McAfee and BINGO! Premiere Elements opens and appears to be performing normally. I presume a recent update from McAfee must have caused the problem. I will report it to them and see if they can provide a fix. If not I will also be installing different anti-virus software.

Thanks again for your help.

DavidBrum

• 18. Re: Premiere Elements 9.0 will not open
                                            A.T. Romano Level 7

DavidBrum

Many thanks for the great update - major contribution moving forward with Premiere Elements troubleshooting.

Continued success.

ATR