3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 24, 2014 1:56 PM by Peter Spier

Ongoing no break!

LaniNoa

How do I keep, in this case, three dots and a word (...word) always together with no break? I realize I could create a short-cut for the no break, but that is not what I am asking. Is there a way to make a rule or something like that?

• 1. Re: Ongoing no break!
          Salah Fadlabi Level 5

How a bout to make character style (no break) and do Find and Change (text tab) for (... word) and change to character style.

• 2. Re: Ongoing no break!
            rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

In your paragraph styles add a GREP style that points to a character style with no break checked, so if your dots are an ellipsis character it would be ~e\w*

Screen Shot 2014-01-24 at 2.50.03 PM.png

Screen Shot 2014-01-24 at 2.52.33 PM.png

• 3. Re: Ongoing no break!
              Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Rob, I think that would be better as ~e\w+ to make sure there is always at least one character following the ellipsis. The * is zero or more occurrences.

And of course, not everyone uses the ellipsis glyph, so if you actually type three dots it would be \.{3}\w+ and that still presumes no whitespace between the ellipsis and the word. Also this exression applies the no break to the entire word, so a really long word won't hyphenate, which could potentially give you a pretty big hole at the end of a line. Is that your intent?