This is one of those no-win situations. .idml is not a panacea, as you are seeing. Sometimes moving pages to a new file will work (but probably not), sometimes exporting the story to tagged text, placing it onthe pasteboard and then using Copy/Paste to replace the original story works, or placing the tagged text into a new file.
This is the sort of thing that I think is more likley to happen in files that are converted from earlier versions by opening the .indd file directly, or from not using Save As frequently.
Sorry to hear that. Yes, we may be able to assist, although it is not free. Here is a little more info on how we will do this:
It is hard to say what actually caused your InDesign file to go corrupt, but it comes down to these likely causes:
* Corrupt Font(s) (or corrupt font caches - see below)
* Corrupt Image(s)
* Power Failure
* Placing images via drag-and-drop from an Internet page
* Copying and Pasting Images from Word, PowerPoint, etc into InDesign
* Copying and Pasting text from Word, PowerPoint, etc into InDesign
* Working on an InDesign file over a network or on a remote server
Here is a video on how to tackle the font caches of InDesign, which is good to do once and a while anyway:
For checking individual font files (fonts are like mini apps really), we recommend either FontExplorer XPro or Extensis Suitcase Fusion 4, with the later perhaps the more popular of the two.
Deleting your InDesign preferences can also fix some odd issues. To delete the InDesign Preferences hold down shift+option+command+control on Mac or shift+ctrl+alt on WIndows while starting up InDesign.
David Dilling from Markzware
(Providers of the InDesign File Recovery Service)
I did not know it was commonplace to use Save-As regularly to prevent document corruption. I'll keep that in mind. Thanks.
(It does say something about coding quality of either (probably) Adobe or (possibly) Apple (in the frameworks)). I am of the oldfashioned vision that applications and systems should n ot crash and if they do there has been sloppy programming.
I tried removing Adobe caches and preferences, no luck.
I tried safe-rebooting my Mac, which removes a lot of junk, including font caches. After that, on opening the document I did get a warning about an unfound font in the document (Courier New, no idea where that should be) and I let it be replaced by the default font. This, however did not solve the issue.
I had already noticed that I could remove parts of what I wanted to remove without crashing. Through step-by-step removing from back to front (a few paragraphs at a time), I was able to remove all of what I wanted to remove. This of course does not mean the problem is gone, the crash may as well have been caused by some complicated reflow later in the story that was triggered by the larger remove.
But now I can go on and hope that I can get to the finish line without having to do a lot of things over.