6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 25, 2014 6:22 AM by D Fosse

A tiny bit OT: Recommendations for Dual Monitor Calibration?

Trevor.Dennis Adobe Community Professional

I've owned my little Huey Pro since it was a mere Huey jnr.  (You had to give Pantone money and they magiced into a Pro)   It’s given decent service for the price (not very much) but has never been particularly flash calibrating a second monitor.  Today I upgraded my 19 inch 4:3 Philips with a 24inch 1920x1200 LG, and while the Huey still does a decent job with my 30inch Dell main screen, the is LG miles out!

It turns out to be a known problem, and mine is now too bad to live with.  So what do y’all use that can handle multiple screens, and wouldn’t need me to take out a mortgage to buy?

Blind Huey.jpg

• 1. Re: A tiny bit OT: Recommendations for Dual Monitor Calibration?
          D Fosse Adobe Community Professional & MVP

AFAIK the only current calibrator that does not support dual monitors is the Spyder 4 Express. There's no way to get it to generate two separate profiles.

X-rite's i1 Display Pro is probably the best bet overall, and a very good investment. The sensor is excellent, and it works with practically every piece of calibration software available, including the new Dell hardware calibrator, NEC Spectraview and Eizo ColorNavigator. That means you have a lot of options open for future upgrades.

I'm not to keen on the i1 Profiler software interface, but it works well. If you're lucky, you can even get it to calibrate on a hardware level, going directly to the monitor's internal LUT instead of the video card. That means very smooth gradients with no visible banding, and good control over the white point. The problem with i1 Profiler is that it doesn't tell you whether it has communication with the display or not, and if it doesn't it just reverts to video LUT. But it's worth a shot.

Price is about that of a good 240GB SSD.

• 2. Re: A tiny bit OT: Recommendations for Dual Monitor Calibration?

All good stuff 21, but when it has finished doing all that foreign language stuff, will it calibrate my computer screens?

But seriously, thanks for the info.  I don't what video LUT is, and I back off double quick when I see Eizo mentioned:

www.bornrich.com/eizo-debut-35000-lcd-monitor-multiple-screens.html

The i1 is being sold for NZ$500 here, and since Christmas I have put >NZ$1600 into sorting my computer out, and I'd prefer to delay this a month or so.  Fortunately I have no video projects on the go, so the second monitor is not colour critical right now.

What about the Color Munki Smile?  Keith Cooper over on Northlight was more or less positive about it, and he is someone I trust.

http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/reviews/profiling/colormunki_smile.html

I don't do a lot of printing, and when I do I use Canon's Easy Photo Print Pro, because it always gets it right without and hassle.  Perhaps I'll go ask on the PremPro Hardware forum, and on DVInfo, because video is probably the most colour critical use of that second screen.

Thanks for you help.

• 3. Re: A tiny bit OT: Recommendations for Dual Monitor Calibration?

I took my own advice from another thread, and checked out the Amazon reviews for the Smile.  Looks like it does all I need at just a third of the price of the i1, so I think that's the way I shall be going.

I also have an Epsom TW3500, but that has been used to judge National Salons without ever having been calibrated, so if it ain't broke.... 

Another thought from 21's answer back up the thread, is that my main monitor, an early Dell 30 inch Ultrasharp, needed very little adjustment on my previous system, but has a distint green tint with my current system without any calibration.  The old box used an ATI Radeon HD5450, and the new box has a GTX570, both with Gigabyte mainboards.  So ISTM that your video card has a significant influence on how your screen looks.  It sounds obvious, but it still surprised me that the colour was so different.

• 4. Re: A tiny bit OT: Recommendations for Dual Monitor Calibration?

The Munki will probably do what you want (I never knew there was a "smile" in addition to the regular Munki). My point was just the expansion possibilites. But make sure it supports dual screens, it seems to place itself in the same segment as Spyder 4 Express, which doesn't.

LUT is just look-up table. It's the correction to the monitor itself, which is half the story. The other half is the profile - a description of how the monitor behaves with those corrections applied - which is what Photoshop uses. It's no more complicated than that.

Yes, Eizo is expensive, but not that expensive. The decent ones start at about Dell U2413 price level, and they're worth it.

• 5. Re: A tiny bit OT: Recommendations for Dual Monitor Calibration?

Thanks 21.  Have you heard the story about Albert Einstein being challenged in the shoelace tying department?  There's only so much room in your head, and I'm reluctant to use up some of mine on 'lookup tables'.     Although I strongly suspect that the difference between my monitors is worse when using Photoshop.  Or am I imagining that? 

twenty_one wrote:

Yes, Eizo is expensive, but not that expensive. The decent ones start at about Dell U2413 price level, and they're worth it.

Never let the truth get in the way of a good story. 

and / or

Always exagerate to make a point.

• 6. Re: A tiny bit OT: Recommendations for Dual Monitor Calibration?

Fair enough. I just happen to be particularly interested in display/calibration systems, so that's where my attention (and money!) tends to go

Yes, it could well be that you see differences in Photoshop that you don't see elsewhere, partly because the profile adds another level of accuracy, partly because one profile itself could be faulty (which naturally won't show up in apps that don't use it).