5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 24, 2014 4:48 PM by PaulCarrick

Acrobat Reader XI submitForm not processing FDF response

PaulCarrick

Greetings:

I have a piece of JavaScript code in a PDF that loads data from a web service (I also wrote the web service). The code has worked fine for several years now on Acrobat Reader versions 7.0 through 10. At Acrobat reader 11 it has suddenly stopped working. I'm hoping someone may know why and how to correct it. It uses a submitForm call to invoke the web service that returns the data in FDF format.

Here is the JavaScript code that makes the call:

var fieldArray  = [ "broker_dealer", "company_name", "policy_number", "data_setup", "loading_data", "include_policy_data" ];

this.submitForm("/morningstar/variable_annuities#FDF", false, false, fieldArray);

Once the service has processed the data it returns it in FDF format (see below). You will see that there's a field (morningstar_data_loaded) that gets set in the FDF. This has a validation function that then refreshes the form once the data is loaded.

I have verified that the data is being POSTed from the form (the POST is logged as coming into the web service). I have verified that the web service is sending the response below). I have also verifed that the validation routine for morningstar_data_loaded is not being called. So the request is going out, the response is comming back, but the validation routine never gets called. As I said, the exact same code works under Acrobat 7-10. So I'm thinking that some change has occured under XI (11) that I'm unaware of (perhaps some security feature?).

I'm wondering if it's having a problem because I'm including some JavaScript in the FDF (again security concerns)? If so I don't think I need it.

Does anyone have any idea what might be the problem and how I can fix it under Acrobat XI?

FDF Response:

%FDF-1.2

% Variable Annuity without policy number (index)

1 0 obj <<

/FDF <<

/Fields [

<< /V (true) /T (loading_data) >>

<< /V (unspecified) /T (form_action) >>

<< /Opt [ [ () (Enter text or select from pulldown) ]

[ (AXA Equitable Life Insurance Co) (AXA Equitable Life Insurance Co) ]

[ (Allianz Life Ins Co of New York) (Allianz Life Ins Co of New York) ]

[ (Allianz Life Ins Co of North America) (Allianz Life Ins Co of North America) ]

[ (Ameritas Life Insurance Corp) (Ameritas Life Insurance Corp) ]

[ (Annuity Investors Life Insurance) (Annuity Investors Life Insurance) ]

[ (Transamerica Life Insurance Company) (Transamerica Life Insurance Company) ]

[ (Western Reserve Life Assurance Co of OH) (Western Reserve Life Assurance Co of OH) ]

] /V () /T (name_carrier) >>

] /V () /T (policy_name) >>

] /V () /T (name_rider1) >>

] /V () /T (rider_options_1) >>

] /V () /T (name_rider2) >>

] /V () /T (rider_options_2) >>

] /V () /T (name_rider3) >>

] /V () /T (rider_options_3) >>

<< /V () /T (morningstar_certification) >>

<< /V (true) /T (data_setup) >>

<< /V (false) /T (loading_data) >>

<< /V (2014-01-24 12:59:12 -0800) /T (morningstar_data_loaded) >>

]

/JavaScript << /Doc 2 0 R >>

>>

>>

endobj

2 0 obj

[

(Policy Data) 3 0 R

]

endobj

3 0 obj

<<

>>

stream

// Setup policy data if indicated

endstream

endobj

trailer

<<

/Root 1 0 R

>>

%%EOF

Any help is greatly appreciated.

If you want to reach me directly you can do so at paulc@orcasnet.com.

Paul Carrick

Programmer

Orcas Net, Inc.