3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 24, 2014 4:49 PM by htimsabbub23

background help

htimsabbub23

I am very new to after effects (two day user) I am however very versed in photoshop. What I did was a record a video with a sheet as the background in green however its the wrong shade of green (army green). I would like to remove the bckground and place our company logo behind it. This is what I want it to look like but the rotobrush tool is very annoying. Is there a way to easily isolate that background color and delete or if any of your pros have a better way to help that would be great. Please don't just paste a link to another thread. I have done my share of searching (6 hours) and could not find a great answer.  Thanks BradCapture.jpeg

• 1. Re: background help
          Todd_Kopriva Level 8

This page gives an overview of the various resources avaibale for that kind of compositing task:

http://helpx.adobe.com/en/after-effects/using/compositing-transparency-overview-resources. html

One thing to be aware of, though, is that compositing is a lot of work and there is not one-click solution to something like this, especially when you haven't done the right things in pre-production and production, such as shooting and lighting a scene for color keying. You say that the Roto Brush is "annoying"; I think that the professionals here would all tell you that it's a lot less annoying that the old way of animating masks by hand (conventional rotoscoping).

I very strongly recommend that you spend some time methodically working your way through the basics before you jump into the deep end:

http://adobe.ly/AE_basics

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: background help
            htimsabbub23 Level 1

I agree I could of done a lot better at prepping the video (amateur mistake) Roto Brush does seem to be a great tool but for a minute clip I am spending hours trying to take out a pretty bland one color background. Is there a way to select the background and delete or change the color of it so I could then use chromakey to lay a picture over? in Photoshop I can slelect all of that color scale and delete it leaving a blank canvas. I would assume the same can done for video simply because it is just a bunch of images? Thanks again for the quick help on the noob mistakes!

• 3. Re: background help
              Todd_Kopriva Level 8

Separating an object from a background in video is not as simple as doing the same thing in Photoshop, just once on each frame. The difference is that the minor mistakes that are imperceptible in a still image are very visible in a series of images (a movie) because people are very good at detecting small changes over time. There are a lot of terms for the bad resut that comes from such differences over time (sizzle, crawl).

Compositing is nearly always a multi-step job. In your case, drawing a garbage matte and a hold-out matte, then using color keying, then using a combination of conventional rotoscoping and/or painting to clean up the edges are likely in order.

I'm not going to explain every one of those terms and steps here. Doing so would take an entire book, and I've already linked you to resources that you can use to follow up on the details.

This kind of work takes hours or days per clip, depending on various factors. That's why the credits at the end of a visual-effects-heavy movie have dozens or hundreds of people listed for compositing, roto, and paint tasks.

Again, I very strongly recommend that you begin at the beginning and learn the basics first.