5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 29, 2014 7:04 PM by A.T. Romano

Image and sound out of sync after adding a photo

gahlmae

The video images and sound became out of sync starting where a photo was added.  When I deleted the photo, it left a gap on the timeline. Solution?

• 1. Re: Image and sound out of sync after adding a photo
          A.T. Romano Level 7

gahlmae

Lots more details needed for us to help you.

What version of Premiere Elements are you using and on what computer operating system is it running?

From what you wrote I am guessing that you had files on the Timeline and went to add a clip to them and ended up creating a gap in the video and/or splitting an audio that was in the project on an audio track.

If this is simply a matter of adding a clip to an existing Timeline, then the fix is typically to hold down the Alt key of the computer main keyboard as you drag the new clip into place on the Timeline.

Some of these gaps can close spontaneously. Other gaps you can right click and then click on the pop up "Delete and Close Gap". Sometimes that command is not workable because of other files above or below the track with the gap.

Does any of the above work for you and explain the issue that you are experiencing? If not, please give more details. Perhaps a screenshot of your existing Timeline and a statement of your goals might be helpful.

Please review and then we can decide what next.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: Image and sound out of sync after adding a photo
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Also, as a Clip, or Still Image on a higher Video Track, say Video Track 2, above a Clip on Video Track 1, will "cover" the Clip on Video Track 1, you could just place your Still Image onto a higher Video Track, and perhaps add single-ended Transitions to it, such as Cross-Dissolve. That will not affect anything on the lower Video Tracks, or their Audio Tracks.

Just an option.

Hunt

• 3. Re: Image and sound out of sync after adding a photo
              gahlmae Level 1

Thanks for the reply.

When we tried to close the gap by right clicking the video track, the

"Delete and Close the Gap" could not be an option.

How do we go about putting everything in a single track?  The video has

been edited changing the order and deleting.  The videos were uploaded from

a camcorder and iphone, although the videos from the iphone are in the

later section.

Please let me know if you need more information.

Thanks,

Mae

• 4. Re: Image and sound out of sync after adding a photo
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Mae,

As PrE is an NLE (Non Linear Editing) program, the Clips/Stills on Video Track 2 can go onto Video Track 1, fitting into the spaces. To do so, so that you will not impact anything else, I would hold down the Ctrl key, when Moving. Others like the Alt modifier key for such an operation.

Before you do such, I would do a Save, to make sure that your Project, as it is, is Saved, then do a Save_As, maybe incrementing the Project name by "01," which will basically duplicate the PREL (Project) file, but leave that version open in the editing workspace. That way, incase the Ctrl key, or the Alt key slip, and things get messed up, you have that original Project to fall back upon.

Then, you can more easily check for gaps.

The Close Gaps will not work, when there are Clips "covering" the gaps, and both Video and Audio.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Image and sound out of sync after adding a photo
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Mae

Please watch the following video on Premiere Elements and Keyboard Modifiers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqRT8OzdxVc

posted for informational (non promotional) reasons.

Lately we are seeing a lot of Premiere Elements audio video out of sync as it relates to variable frame rate properties of a video (especially from cell phones). But I get the impression that your "image and sound out of sync after adding a photo" is being triggered by induced and natural consequences of adding files to an existing Timeline. That is why I think the above video tutorial may be useful for you.

Please check it out and then we can decide what next.

Thank you.

ATR