• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

(still) Unable to install Flash Player update (process hang)

Jan 24, 2014 Jan 24, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I haven't been able to install updates for Flash Player for over a year now. Ever since the website changed to the web-install package, i've been unable to update from the download page (http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/). The file is downloaded successfully, i double click it, the security message pops up asking if i'm sure i'd like to run it (not UAC as i have that disabled -- i mean the somewhat uncommon Windows one when opening .exe files from the internet)...and then it hangs. Install_flashplayer shows up in the process list of task manager, and the file is moved to a temp location and subsequently deleted. That's it. I don't get the installation menu, nothing.

For some reason the only way i'm able to update is if i get the pop-up upon logging into my computer, telling me a new version is out, in which case it updates as expected. The problem is it sometimes takes MONTHS for this pop-up to finally appear, which means i'm left browsing the web with outdated (sometimes vulnerable) Flash components for the entire duration. On top of this, sometimes the pop-up won't simply update, but instead links me to the aforementioned site which does not work.

Any help? I've tried almost everything, including uninstalling my old version in preparation for a clean install of Flash. Nothing works. About a year ago i was able to use the offline archive instead, which worked a treat, but i can't access it anymore.

EDIT: should have included specs. I'm using Windows Vista 32bit, and i always make sure to keep everything updated. UAC is disabled, and running the installer in Admin mode has no effect. I'm using Firefox, and have ESET as my anti-virus.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 25, 2014 Jan 25, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/  gets you the "Stub" installer.

You need the following:

Flash Player Uninstaller

Flash Player for ActiveX (Internet Explorer)

Flash Player Plug-in (All other browsers)

Right click each and "Save target as".

Save them to your Downloads folder - DO NOT RUN them yet.

Reboot your PC.

BEFORE anything else, run the Uninstaller.

Then run the ActiveX installer, and the (other browser) installer.

Note: there are all FULL "offline" installers and uninstallers. They don't need to download anything else during the install process.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines