3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 2, 2007 5:40 PM by Zareh Tashjian

Coldfusion web services

Zareh Tashjian
      Hi all,

I built a simple web service that inserts some content into the database, however if the content has been pasted from a word doc or outlook and contains some print characters...etc its breaking the web service when I try to display it. its going into the database successfully but causing an error when i try to get it via the web service. Is there a technique to make the web service work with any kind of content ?

Thanks
        • 1. Re: Coldfusion web services
          JR "Bob" Dobbs-qSBHQ2 Level 3
          1. please post your code

2.what is the error message?

3. Are you using cfqueryparam and/or cfprocparam in your database access code? If not you should be.
          • 2. Re: Coldfusion web services
            coffeedrinker56 Level 1
            A quick answer is to use a RegEx to strip invalid characters from the input stream.

... or use XmlFormat - which doesn't necessarily have to be used for XML - which converts such characters into web service-readable form.
            • 3. Re: Coldfusion web services
              Zareh Tashjian Level 1
              Thank you for your replies and help, appreciate it.

I will try cfqueryparam and Xmlformat and see it that will solve the problem. I'll try both in the insert statement.

My code goes like this: putting parts of the code only...

<cfinvoke webservice ="mywebservice_url"
              <cfinvokeargument name="description" value="#ReReplace(form.description,'[^[:print:]]','','ALL')#"/>

Then:

<cffunction name="add_description" output="false" access="remote" returntype="boolean" hint="Add description">

<cfargument name="description" required="true" type="string">

AND:

INSERT INTO mytable...'#arguments.description#',...etc