1 2 Previous Next 42 Replies Latest reply on Dec 10, 2007 11:28 PM by Kathy313

New images in RoboHelp 7.0 project

ndhelp
      I upgraded from X.5 to 7. I am trying to add a new image not previously in the project. When I use the browse button on the image screen and browse to my image, it does not put the path into the Image Name field. I can type the path in by hand but that seems really unproductive. What is going wrong? Is this a bug or is there some new procedure I am not getting?

Thanks for your help
        • 1. Re: New images in RoboHelp 7.0 project
          MeWrite Level 1
          I am also experiencing the same problem. I have started a project then copied glossary, image files, and template via the file folders. But when I open the project none of these items could be seen from RH. I just thought this was because I was using the trial version.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

• 2. Re: New images in RoboHelp 7.0 project
            RoboColum(n) Level 5
            Are you project files located on a network drive. If so, move them off before you corrupt them!
            • 3. Re: New images in RoboHelp 7.0 project
              MeWrite Level 1
              No, for me I'm using a trial version on my personal laptop. the company I'm consulting for is upgrading to the technical suite. We will be storing project files on a network drive but via the RoboSource Control. Will this cause an issue? Since when did storing projects on a network drive become and issue?
              • 4. Re: New images in RoboHelp 7.0 project
                Peter Grainge Adobe Community Professional (Moderator)
                If you are using source control, having the projects on a network drive is not an issue. RH pulls them out of source control and stores them locally while you work. That's OK. What is not OK is having the project on a network drive and pointing RH to that and working across the network. A very different thing and it eventually hits a problem.

• 5. Re: New images in RoboHelp 7.0 project
                  MeWrite Level 1
                  Even if working on a network drive didn't have issues, it's always too slow to work on the network and I have never done this.

Now back to the original question posed by ndhelp: I am not able to see any images either. I just thought it was because I'm using the trial version (we are waiting for the PO to go through as we speak). Sounds like it's an issue regardless of trial or full version.
                  • 6. Re: New images in RoboHelp 7.0 project
                    Ben Minson Level 2
                    MeWrite, you say you moved your images into your project folder but are not seeing your images in RH's Project Manager. ndhelp, are your images inside your project folder also, or are you browsing for images that are not within your project directory? I believe RH usually asks to copy an image into the project folder if it's originally outside, but it doesn't hurt to check. RH likes to keep everything close.

--Ben
                    • 7. Re: New images in RoboHelp 7.0 project
                      ndhelp Level 1
                      My image files are in my project folder. I am on my local machine as well and am using RoboSource. I have confirmed the same behavior on another machine with a different project.
                      • 8. Re: New images in RoboHelp 7.0 project
                        MeWrite Level 1
                        When I click Insert or the picture Icon, it let's me path to any folder (inside or outside the project) and I can see the image in the images folder, I can select it and the file name displays correctly, but when I click open nothing happens. the image doesn't come in, doesn't preview, doesn't show in the image name field, doesn't ask me to copy it into the current project, and doesn't display in the image folders. I thought this was a bug and it was really there, so I clicked OK, but then I receive an error that I "must type a file path or URL."

Been using RH since the beginning of time, but this is a new one on me.
                        • 9. Re: New images in RoboHelp 7.0 project
                          ndhelp Level 1
                          I am having the exact same behavior. I have also been using RH forever and can't figure this one out. The only workaround I found is to type the path in by hand. You have to keep in mind that it is relative so I copied a path from another image and changed it to be my specific image file name.
                          • 10. Re: New images in RoboHelp 7.0 project
                            Please create a new project and try there.

I just opened a project and got the problem you report.

Not getting it in a new project. Not sure why yet.

• 11. Re: New images in RoboHelp 7.0 project
                              ... and please don't delete any project with this problem.

• 12. Re: New images in RoboHelp 7.0 project
                                ndhelp Level 1
                                Thanks. I opened a new project and that works for me as well. Don't worry I will not delete it.
                                • 13. Re: New images in RoboHelp 7.0 project
                                  Thanks.

First would you be willing and able to share the problem project with me? I would like to look at it and if necessary take it up with Adobe. If you are, how big is it zipped up? I don't need the outputs so strip those out.

Second, until the cause of the problem is identified, your choices are to live with the workaround or create a new project and import all the topics. We know those two things will work. You could try deleting the CPD and XPJ files as described in my topic on opening projects. (Take a backup first). That's one of the things I'll be trying.

• 14. Re: New images in RoboHelp 7.0 project
                                    ndhelp Level 1
                                    Peter,

I wouldn't mind sharing but the zip file is very large - 36,578 KB.

Also, very strange behavior has occurred on both projects with the separate machines and users. It appears the problem only happens on the first graphic you try to import. I was going to confirm the behavior is still there before sending. I tried to insert another graphic and it worked just fine. But, the first graphic I attempted to bring in still has the same behavior. My partner did the same test and had the same result with a different project and different graphic, on a different machine.

So, our experience seems to show that it only happens for the first graphic you attempt to add and then after that all is well.

Let me know if you still want the zipped file but I will need to tell you which graphic it is that is misbehaving because all others seem to be working fine now. Scratching head.

Nita
                                    • 15. New images in RoboHelp 7.0 project
                                      MeWrite Level 1
                                      I can also send the project. Please keep in mind, I am using the trial version. I have created 3 projects, but have the same issue across the board. I have to scrubbed a few things first, but prob can send this by Monday.

I have posted another topic where I am having issues with custom templates and copying information via file structure being seen by RH Project manager. Don't know if this is a related issue or not http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/webforums/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=449&threadid=1318850

Cindy
                                      • 16. Re: New images in RoboHelp 7.0 project
                                        Nita

It's that size with the contents of the !SSL! folder deleted?

Cindy

You are able to create a new project and still get this problem or is it just with upgraded projects?

• 17. New images in RoboHelp 7.0 project
                                          MeWrite Level 1
                                          Peter - I found time to scrub the project in question. Where do you want me to send the zip file to? You can email me at cindy.j.spurr@pfizer.com where I will be able to respond quicker.

I get the same problem regardless of whether I'm updating a X5 project to 7 or starting a new one.

I created a new project and imported topics from the X5 project. It brings in the images just fine, but it puts all the topics and images in the main folder versus sub-folders. This is a good work around if I'm upgrading and older project AND it's small. Most of my X5 projects are huge, we're talking 200-500 topics. This is not a suitable work around for those projects.

However, this work around does not help me when creating a new project from scratch. I use SnagIt to capture the images and RH7 doesn't see them. I double checked with RoboScreen Capture and it works the same as SnagIt. Allows me to capture, name and save the image, but does not see it in the image folder via RH therefore I cannot linkto the image in the topic.

Cindy
                                          • 18. Re: New images in RoboHelp 7.0 project
                                            ndhelp Level 1
                                            Update from here - it is not just the first image we try to include. It has happened again randomly. We are unable to see any rhyme or reason that some images can be included and others not.
                                            • 19. Re: New images in RoboHelp 7.0 project
                                              I have a project from Cindy. You didn't confirm the size of your project with SSL deleted? Is that 36mb?

If it is, then let me look at Cindy's file first. If that doesn't find the problem, I'll let you have some FTP instructions.

• 20. Re: New images in RoboHelp 7.0 project
                                                ndhelp Level 1
                                                yes it is with ssl deleted

thanks, let me know
                                                • 21. Re: New images in RoboHelp 7.0 project
                                                  ndhelp Level 1
                                                  yes, it is 36MB with the SSL removed. I'll wait to hear
                                                  • 22. Re: New images in RoboHelp 7.0 project
                                                    email me via my site and I will send you instructions.

I'm about to log off so please email now.

• 23. Re: New images in RoboHelp 7.0 project
                                                      This post is to Cindy (MeWrite)

The problem I am seeing is not what you describe. I opened the project you sent me and see a couple of images in Project Manager. Those are images that I can see in the topics you sent me. In the project files when viewed in Windows Explorer, there are many other images. However, if you go to Tools | Reports | Unused files, these additional files appear because they are not used in any topic. Images only appear in Project Manager if they are used in a topic. Otherwise they do not appear even though in the folders. RH has worked that way for as long as I have been using it.

Open any one of the topics you sent me or a new one. Use the insert image icon and point to one of the images not appearing in Project Manager. Insert one of those and click Save. Does it now appear in Project Manager?

When you initially said what you had added to the project, I thought you meant along with the topics. Looks like you may just have been adding those images using Windows Explorer?

Or am I missing a point you are trying to make?

• 24. Re: New images in RoboHelp 7.0 project
                                                        This post is to ndhelp.

Looks like we are talking about two issues in this thread. I saw the problem in a project and then, stupidly, trashed it.

So, email me via my site and I will send you some upload instructions. The size is not an issue.

• 25. Re: New images in RoboHelp 7.0 project
                                                          MeWrite Level 1
                                                          Peter, sorry for the confusion. Yes I understand how the image feature works and I understand how it worked in previous versions. It is not working in this trial version like that at all.

What I am saying is that it does not let me select the image. I use the picture icon or click insert --> image then I browse to a folder where images are stored. I can see the image, but when I double click or click the image then click open, it does not bring it in. The image name field in the image dialogue box remains blank, therefore I cannot save the image in the project because the image name is not listed so when I click OK it errors out. It doesn't seem to be recognizing the file beyond browsing to the folder.

The only way I can get images to show in the project is by typing in the whole path. I think this is the same as ndhelp was describing, but this is not a good work around when you have a lot of images. Although once displayed in PM I can drop and drag it in anywhere. The only other oddity I notice, is that when you save, it collapses the file structure and I have to reopen it after every save.
                                                          • 26. Re: New images in RoboHelp 7.0 project
                                                            MeWrite

Understand. As you can see, I was able to import intot the project you sent me. Was that one where you are having, and still have, this problem? What operating system are you on, Vista or XP?

• 27. Re: New images in RoboHelp 7.0 project
                                                              MeWrite Level 1
                                                              Peter

I can import existing topics (not images) into the new Project and if the topic has images in it, it brings in the images with the old topics. It just puts all images and topics in one folder, not in subfolders like it is on the old project (i.e., it doesn't keep the structure from the original project, but I think that has always been like that. I'd always have to move the images and topics into the correct folder after importing).

However, this is of no value when I'm creating a new project from scratch. Like the one I sent. Images can only be selected if they were imported from an existing topic. I can type the path for the image in image field name and it comes into the topic then after saving the topic, the image displays in the images folder in PM. However, if I delete the image from a topic (even after originally saving it), the image is removed from the images folder in PM, unless the image happens to be in more than 1 topic.

As for my laptop. I'm using Windows XP Pro edition and office 2003.

I'm hoping to get the RH7 upgrade for the company I'm working for today or tomorrow and see if it works the way it should. It would be a great comparison, but until then....
                                                              • 28. Re: New images in RoboHelp 7.0 project
                                                                MeWrite

So in the project you sent me, if you created a directory called C:\ImageTest and put an image in it, you would not be able to get RH to point to that image and add it to an existing topic. Correct?

You put the cursor somewhere in a topic, click the image icon and navigate to C:\ImageTest and select the image but the field remain blank and no preview is generated.

What image types have you tried this with?

It all worked OK for me in the project you sent so I am beginning to think about a reinstall. Hold off though for a couple of hours until I can double check your project.

Meantime, please just confirm the above and create one more project, no importing of topics, and just insert the image in the above folder.

• 29. Re: New images in RoboHelp 7.0 project
                                                                  MeWrite Level 1
                                                                  Yes, correct.

I have only tried it with .gif files as that is all we use.

I created new project. Didn't import anything. Used the new topic generated ny default. Still the same problem. No name, no preview, no image.
                                                                  • 30. Re: New images in RoboHelp 7.0 project
                                                                    I'm about to check here. Humour me and locate a jpg. Any difference?

• 31. Re: New images in RoboHelp 7.0 project
                                                                      MeWrite

Opened the project you sent me, opened a topic, clicked the image icon and pointed to one of the gifs in the folders you sent me but not showing in project manager. It all worked correctly.

I think repeated it with a gif file from elsewhere on my hard disk. Again it all works.

I think it is time to uninstall and reinstall the trial or can you install it on another PC.

I cannot do it tonight or tomorrow but later in the week I could set up a link via Acrobat Connect that would let me see your PC and what you are seeing. If you can wait, maybe you would prefer that? What time zone are you in?

• 32. Re: New images in RoboHelp 7.0 project
                                                                        Kathy313
                                                                        quote:

Originally posted by: MeWrite
                                                                        Peter, sorry for the confusion. Yes I understand how the image feature works and I understand how it worked in previous versions. It is not working in this trial version like that at all.

What I am saying is that it does not let me select the image. I use the picture icon or click insert --> image then I browse to a folder where images are stored. I can see the image, but when I double click or click the image then click open, it does not bring it in. The image name field in the image dialogue box remains blank, therefore I cannot save the image in the project because the image name is not listed so when I click OK it errors out. It doesn't seem to be recognizing the file beyond browsing to the folder.

The only way I can get images to show in the project is by typing in the whole path. I think this is the same as ndhelp was describing, but this is not a good work around when you have a lot of images. Although once displayed in PM I can drop and drag it in anywhere. The only other oddity I notice, is that when you save, it collapses the file structure and I have to reopen it after every save.

This sounds a LOT like one of the two problems I described in my "RH7 gone goofy" thread (rather lengthy explanations). The root cause of the problem, confirmed by Adobe tech support, is that when the number of characters in the PHYSICAL filepath plus the image name exceeds a certain length, the browse dialog does not return the image file name. Network/mapped drive or C: drive, it didn't matter. Adobe checked the actual source code and found it to be 65 characters (although up to 120 chars worked for me). This is why the problem seems so random - some people can see it and others dont, it works on some image files but not on others.
                                                                        • 33. Re: New images in RoboHelp 7.0 project
                                                                          Kathy

Thanks, I had not made that connection but it would explain why I was getting a different result to MeWrite.

I now have the other project and will look at this point deliberately putting the image in different paths.

I'll let you all know how it goes.

• 34. Re: New images in RoboHelp 7.0 project
                                                                            Yes, that was it thanks to Kathy.

First I opened one of ndhelp's files to insert an image. It went in correctly.

Then I renamed the image a.gif to keep it short and put it in a folder with ten characters and it was still OK. However, as Kathy says, somewhere around the 120 character mark, it falls over. I'll test a bit more later to find the exact length but that is definitely the problem.

Thanks Kathy. Good spot.

• 35. Re: New images in RoboHelp 7.0 project
                                                                              MeWrite Level 1
                                                                              Peter & Kathy,

Yes I saw Kathy's post too. I changed names and chose the shortest one and still it would not come in. My only question is where does it start the path. Here's my path (via the PM view when browsing to the image), is starting the count from here or the c drive (root drive)? DSM\images\screenshots\disability_search.gif (44 characters).

HOWEVER, if it's starting the path at the root drive, I will never be under the 65/120 limit.

FYI -- I have rolled back to X5 and have no issus with images, no matter how long.
                                                                              • 36. Re: New images in RoboHelp 7.0 project
                                                                                Almost certainly from the root, although I need to check that.

Create a folder C:\a

Save a.gif to it.

Are you saying you cannot import that?

• 37. Re: New images in RoboHelp 7.0 project
                                                                                  ndhelp Level 1
                                                                                  Thanks for all your help Peter and Kathy.

I truly love this forum! I entered a web customer service case on this and all they could tell me was to use the workaround I had already figured out. Now that I know the cause, I can avoid it.

Thanks again,

Nita

• 38. Re: New images in RoboHelp 7.0 project
                                                                                    MeWrite Level 1
                                                                                    WOW! What an issue I'm gonna have. Yes, a gif and jpg saved at the root works. Thanks for clarifying where the path started from. I thought in would be started from the project main folder. Not the root.

Now that I know, I'm going to have to ponder a workaround because I never store anything at the root nor anything close to the root. X5 seems to have an unlimited character number for the image path.

Do you know if they are going to fix that? It would be nice to know that i don't have to worry about where I'm storing images, but more importantly, how I am going to explain that to a wide and sometimes off shore group where to save their projects and the images for the project.

Thanks much for all your patience and help. Now I'm gonna go ponder.
                                                                                    • 39. Re: New images in RoboHelp 7.0 project
                                                                                      The matter has been reported to Adobe.

1 2 Previous Next