9 Replies Latest reply on Jul 10, 2014 2:48 PM by A.T. Romano

Cannot see Project Assets Window

ncharchenko Level 1

When I open certain projects, the Project Assets Window is no longer showing when I click on the arrow that is supposed to open the window. I've re installed twice, run ccleaner, and deleted the prefs file 2 times.  The window only opens on two project files and it no longer shows on new projects.

• 1. Re: Cannot see Project Assets Window
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

From the Premiere Elements Information FAQ http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1042180

•What version of Premiere Elements? Include the minor version number (e.g., Premiere Elements 9 with the 9.0.1 update).

•What operating system? This should include specific minor version numbers, like "Mac OSX v10.6.8"---not just "Mac".

•Have you installed any recent program or OS updates? (If not, you should. They fix a lot of problems.)

•What kind(s) of image file(s)? When talking about camera raw files, include the model of camera.

•If you are getting error message(s), what is the full text of the error message(s)?

•What were you doing when the problem occurred?

•What other software are you running?

•Tell us about your computer hardware. How much RAM is installed?  How much free space is on your system (C:) drive?

•Has this ever worked before?  If so, do you recall any changes you made to Premiere Elements, such as adding Plug-ins, brushes, etc.?  Did you make any changes to your system, such as updating hardware, printers or drivers; or installing/uninstalling any programs?

And some other questions...

•What are you editing, and does your video have a red line over it BEFORE you do any work?

•Have you viewed the tutorial links at http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1275830 page?

•Which version of Quicktime do you have installed?

What is your exact brand/model graphics adapter (ATI or nVidia or ???)

What is your exact graphics adapter driver version?

Have you gone to the vendor web site to check for a newer driver?

-If Windows, do NOT rely on Windows Update to have current driver information

-you need to go direct to the vendor web site and check updates for yourself

ATI Driver Autodetect http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/auto-detect-tool

nVidia Driver Downloads http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

• 2. Re: Cannot see Project Assets Window
            A.T. Romano Level 7

ncharchenko

What are you using, Premiere Elements 11 or 12 and on what computer operating system?

Could you post a screenshot of the workspace of the Expert workspace where one of these projects is

responding as you wrote

the Project Assets Window is no longer showing when I click on the arrow that is supposed to open the window.

Please confirm that you are in the Expert workspace and that you are clicking on the down triangle next to the words Project Assets.

When you find yourself in this situation, what happens if you go to Add Media/Files and Folders and bring in a video or still. Does Project Assets automatically pop open displaying this latest addition to Project Assets?

What is in Project Assets when you cannot open it? How many thumbnails?

Thanks.

ATR

• 3. Re: Cannot see Project Assets Window
              ncharchenko Level 1

I'm using Elements 11 on x64 Windows 7 Ultimate. I am in Expert workspace and no, the window 'opens' but does not show after adding a media file. It happens on fresh projects too without any media added.

Other specs:

i5 2500K

GTX 570

8GB 1600MHz 9-9-9-24

That should be the important stuff

It happens with all files.

Sorry for the late reply.

• 4. Re: Cannot see Project Assets Window
                A.T. Romano Level 7

ncharchenko

Have you tried delete the settings file for Premiere Elements 11?

Local Disk C

Users

Owner

AppData

Roaming

Adobe

Premiere Elements

and in the 11.0 Folder is the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file that you delete. If that does not work, then you delete the whole 11.0 Folder in which the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file exists. Be sure to be working with Folder Option Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives active so that you can see the complete path cited.

This is what I would like you to try also. Put a photo or video on the desktop of your computer. Open Premiere Elements 11 to the Expert workspace. Open the Project Assets so that you see its empty area. From the desktop, click  and drag the photo or video there into the opened Project Assets blank space. Does the photo or video file  thumbnail then appear in Project Assets, ready to be dragged to the Timeline for use as source media?

Please do not hesitate to ask if you need clarification on anything written.

Thank you.

ATR

• 5. Re: Cannot see Project Assets Window
                  N9JCR Level 2

In case anyone else runs into this problem, I had the same thing with version 12.1.  I tried all the other suggestions and reinstalled 12.0 with no luck.  The only thing I eventually found was that if you open an older project where the Project Assets window would open, doing a SAVE AS [new project name], I could then open the window and just delete all the old assets, then add what I wanted.  After that, even when creating a new project, the Project Assets window works again.

So, it seems the project XML got corrupted somehow and caused a program setting to be changed.  Opening an old project and saving with a new name fixes it. 

Bob

• 6. Re: Cannot see Project Assets Window
                    CurtisCee2014 Level 1

Thanks for the tip. I ran into the same problem of Project Assets not appearing. So I applied your fix, but modified it: I only needed to open my problem project and then save it as a new name. It worked immediately after closing and then reopening it. There was no need for me to open a previous or different project. But your suggestion saved me the unneeded time of recreating anything or reinstalling software etc. Just open project, save as, and then away you go.

Thanks!

• 7. Re: Cannot see Project Assets Window
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

CurtisCee2014

Thanks for your contribution to this thread. The next time this issue is reported or I run into it myself I will try the suggestion of N0JCR as well as your modification of it and observe the outcome.

So far, the only one that I have gotten positive feedback on in the past  (before the posts of you and N9JCR) was related to my reply to ncharchenko in post numbered 4 of this thread.

This is what I would like you to try also. Put a photo or video on the desktop of your computer. Open Premiere Elements 11 to the Expert workspace. Open the Project Assets so that you see its empty area. From the desktop, click  and drag the photo or video there into the opened Project Assets blank space. Does the photo or video file  thumbnail then appear in Project Assets, ready to be dragged to the Timeline for use as source media?

ATR

• 8. Re: Cannot see Project Assets Window
                        CurtisCee2014 Level 1

No, dragging an item from the desktop or anywhere else does not resolve this issue. Once the Project Assets window *appears* to be blank empty, "successfully" adding a file either directly into the Timeline or merely adding it to your lists of assets does not alter the appearance of the Project Assets window: it still appears blank/empty. However, after resaving the project under a new name, the newly added and former assets do in fact appear. So the task is completely successfully prior to resaving the file; however there is no external verification or visual indication that it was successful: It remains empty/blank...until you resave the project as a new name. So this is merely a corruption of the "display" of the items, rather than any interruption of the underlying execution.

But to clarify, I've resolved this problem myself by simply doing a Save As with a new name. I no longer require assistance; however, I'm hopeful that this assists in a potential bug fix for Adobe, especially if this issue persists in the most recent version of Adobe Premiere Elements. (I'm using version 11.) They may have already abandoned version 11 and fixed it in version 12. I do not know. 

• 9. Re: Cannot see Project Assets Window
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

CurtisCee2014

Thanks for the reply.

I do not recall seeing this Project Assets issue reported in version 12/12.1 yet?

But, yes, my suggestion did work for one user with this particular Project Assets syndrome. I would need to go hunting for the thread. But, for now, we have some contributions to the troubleshooting tool chest on this issue.

As for a generalized bug fix for Adobe to work on....I have not seen all that many reports of this issue even in 11.

Just in case note...I am not Adobe. Just user to user. No promotional interests in Adobe.

ATR