1 Reply Latest reply on Jan 25, 2014 2:29 PM by A.T. Romano

Premier Elements 12, Inserting Photos into timeline, using transitions, inserting music

AZ Aurora Level 1

I have just recently switched from Premier Elements 8 to 12, after discovering that "expert" looked allot more like what I was used to I have been able to start a new project. However, I don't consider myself to be an "expert".

That said I have a few questions:

1. I used to be able to insert photos and rearrange them in the "sceneline", I do not see that feature in Premier 12 so am using the "timeline" that is there. However I cannot insert photos or move them around easily, I get my clips reducing in size. How can I insert new photos or move them?
      2. Transitions seemed to have been reduced greatly in the availabilty of them, have they "gone out of favor", I had put a transition inbetween all of my clips in my previous projects with 8. Allot of them were merely the "wipe" feature. What is recommended with 12?
      3. I have not gotten to adding music to this project however have noticed that there are allot of different styles available. However I want to be able to add my own music, can you give me tips on "how to do that", would I just go to the "add media" and get them off my computer and than add it to the audio line?

Thank you ahead of time.

• 1. Re: Premier Elements 12, Inserting Photos into timeline, using transitions, inserting music
          A.T. Romano Level 7

AuroraAz

I used to be able to insert photos and rearrange them in the "sceneline", I do not see that feature in Premier 12 so am using the "timeline" that is there. However I cannot insert photos or move them around easily, I get my clips reducing in size. How can I insert new photos or move them?

I am not sure why these photos should be reducing in size. It should be the same thing as in your older version, that is, as you hold down the Alt key of the computer main keyboard, with your mouse cursor drag you new file into place in the Timeline. Some people like to use the Ctrl key instead of the Alt key. I prefer the Alt key.

I prefer the Expert workspace rather than the Quick in version 12, but you can still move the images in the Quick Filmstrip spaces with a click and drag, left or right as appropriate. So, I am not sure what you ran into in the Quick workspace in that regard.

Transitions seemed to have been reduced greatly in the availabilty of them, have they "gone out of favor", I had put a transition inbetween all of my clips in my previous projects with 8. Allot of them were merely the "wipe" feature. What is recommended with 12?

There are lots of Transitions under theTransition Tab when you are in Expert workspace, much less in the Quick workspace. This is what you should be seeing in version 12/Expert workspace/Transitions

Wipes.JPG

This is what you had in version 8.0/8.0.1 under Wipes in Timeline view.

8 Wipes.JPG

3. I have not gotten to adding music to this project however have noticed that there are allot of different styles available. However I want to be able to add my own music, can you give me tips on "how to do that", would I just go to the "add media" and get them off my computer and than add it to the audio line?

Same as before. Add Media/Files and Folders/Project Assets (if Expert workspace). The Quick workspace does not have that "intermediate" Project Assets. So, it is Add Media/Files and Folders/ and direct to a scene space in the Filmstrip. If you  have iTunes music, it may have to be converted to .mp3 or .wav (again same as before).

However, if you are a SmartSound soundtrack user, the SmartSound feature is gone in version 12 which has it counterpart, under Audio Tab, of Music Scores and Sound Effects which end up on the Timeline as .wav files. If you have the old SmartSound soundtracks, they need to be converted to .wav and then the Premiere Elements 12 Add Media/

Please check out the above. If any questions or if you need clarification, please do not hesitate to ask.

Thanks.

ATR