16 Replies Latest reply on Jul 4, 2014 3:12 PM by A.T. Romano

Video 1 bleeds into a still in Video 3

mikecox_ Level 1

I have this still image on the video 3 timeline.  Below it, on video 1, is my primary clip; that runs through the entire video. 

In this shot you can see how video 1 is bleeding into the still image on the video 3 timeline. 

All the still images on this timeline were edited in Ps CC, and are all exactly the same size; 1920x1080 200ppi.

Here's the odd thing about this problem, the second image was doing the same thing. So I deleted it and added the second image several times.  I tried two methods: 1. dragging it directly to the timeline and 2. double clicking it in the asset panel, opening it in the review pane, and dragging it to the timeline. 

Each time I added it I  redered.  I don't remember which method I had used when it stopped misbehaving, I just remember I was relieved. 

Then I added the image in this example; in front of the second image I just got to working, and did all the things I did with the second image; to make it work, but I could not get it to behave.

bleeding.jpgI have

• 1. Re: Video 1 bleeds into a still in Video 3
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Michael

Still thinking about this one.

Did you maximally expand the Timeline, to look for leftovers on those video tracks in the vicinity of what you are referring to as bleeding?

Is the jpg and the clip below it both set up to fill the Edit Mode monitor space which I assume is for 1920 x 1080 project? Is suspect the problem is in the alignment of the clips that may not fill the monitor space.

More later.

ATR

• 2. Re: Video 1 bleeds into a still in Video 3
            mikecox_ Level 1

Is the jpg and the clip below it both set up to fill the Edit Mode monitor space which I assume is for 1920 x 1080 project?

As I said, I edited all three of the images in Ps and saved them to 1920x1080. I thought I saved them at 200ppi but I returned to the image in question and it was saved at 360 ppi.  I checked the others and they were saved at 300 ppi.  So I changed the ppi setting on the image in question to  300 and reloaded it.  It didn't change the behavior.

I didn't expect it to because image # 2 behaved the same way; but adding and removing it to the timeline caused it to behave.  So why did adding and removing, several time correct the problem with #2, but not with #1; while #3 never was never a problem.

Is suspect the problem is in the alignment of the clips that may not fill the monitor spac

I'm not exactly certain what you mean when you say "monitor"; the monitor that comes up when you double click an asset or the computer monitor.

Whatever the case; I don't think it's relevant.  We have common elements; the images are all the same size, they are going on the same timeline; video 3, there is no video 2 and Video 1 is commone; running start to finish.

Since still image #1 behaved perfectly from the start, #2 behaved badly; initially, and #3 never stopped missbehaving, I'm  wondering if it's  possible there is an issue with the number of still images? Or maybe they are too large?

I tried moving #1 to different locations on the video 3 timeline; a couple minutes in and a couple minute before the end, I even moved it to the video 2 position.

Finally I published it as an AVI file. But image #1 behaved just as it does in PrE

• 3. Re: Video 1 bleeds into a still in Video 3
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Michael

ddi and ppi have no meaning in video or for photos in Premiere Elements. Only pixels and pixel dimensions do.

You said the photos used were 1920 x 1080 pixels. And presumedly, you imported videos with resolution of 1920 x 1080 pixels.

When you did that, did you have a check mark next to "Default Scale to Frame Size" in Edit Menu/Preferences/General? If so, when you imported your photo, with a project preset of 1080i or 1080p, the images should have filled the monitor space. No black borders. No opportunities for what I saw in your screenshot, the part you called bleeding.

What is your project preset for this project? And, what is your setting for "Default Scale to Frame Size", check mark or no?

The only way that I could get the bleeding to which you referred was to leave black borders (small ones) for the photo file and video file and then mis-align them.

Any chance any of that could have happened?

ATR

• 4. Re: Video 1 bleeds into a still in Video 3
                mikecox_ Level 1

And presumedly, you imported videos with resolution of 1920 x 1080 pixels.

I don't know how to set the resolution of video imports; but I don't think it's relevant.  I am dealing with sitll images, two of which are behaving well and one that isn't.  The videos that are in this project all come, unchanged, from my Canon 60D.

did you have a check mark next to "Default Scale to Frame Size" in Edit Menu/Preferences/General?

When I rt clicked the images there was a checkmark on "Scale to Frame Size" on all of them.  Canging  the general settings can't be the answer because the bad behavior is not common to all 3 images; only one image is behaving badly.  If it was a general setting, commone to all 3 images, 3 images would be behaving the same way. 

When I refer to "bleeding" I mean video 1 bleeds though the entire still image; not just around the edges; which is what I'd expect to see if the image didn't fill the frame.

What is your project preset for this project?

You keep metioning these and I confess to not knowing.  Where exactly do I find them?  I've checked all the menues and found a Project settings; but nothing call "project presets".   I understand the when a new project is started the default settings are used and that, for the most part, don't need to be changed.

And, what is your setting for "Default Scale to Frame Size", check mark or no?

I checked Project Settings and Preferences and can't find this option.

The only way that I could get the bleeding to which you referred was to leave black borders (small ones) for the photo file and video file and then mis-align them.

Again, this is not a common problem, it is only happening; consisently, with one  image; though it happened with #2 for awhile.

My point is that all 3 images were created in Ps, exactly the same way.  I first created a 1920x1080 background, then I layered each image over the background, flattened the image and saved it as a jpg file.  Each image is identical, so why does one behave differently than the rest?  And why did #2 misbehave for a short while, then get into line, while #1 still bleeds?

Since only one of the 3 still images is misbehaving the problem can't be related to a common setting, or preset; otherwise all 3 images would be misbehaving.  And since all three images are have the same setting the problem can't be with the image.  So what's left?

It's late and I'm going to bed, but I will shutdown my computer tonight; instead of put it to sleep and tomorrow I will review the image settings, and make absolutely certain they are all the same; although I redid #1 earlier today and saved it again.  Then added it the project assets; in a different folder; to be sure I didn't select the one I deleted.  Afted deleting the previous on I draged the new one back onto Video 3.  So I'm pretty sure nothing will change tomorrow when I do it again.

• 5. Re: Video 1 bleeds into a still in Video 3
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Michael

Project Presets and Default Scale to Frame Size

In Premiere Elements 11 and 12, the program takes over setting the project preset (project settings) based on the properties of the first media drag to the Timeline. Sometimes it does it OK, sometimes not. When not, it does not give you the closest to what you have, but rather its default which is for you NTSC/AVCHD/Full HD1080i30 representing 1920 x 1080 @ 29.97 interlaced frames per second.

Why all the fuss? The project preset setting directs the program to show you the correct space in the Edit Mode monitor (a 1920 x 1080 space when the default is set) for editing purposes. The project preset also has some other subtle and not so subtle other features. But enough said for now.

Bottom line is, the goal is for the project preset to match the properties of your source media to get the correct space of editing purposes.

If you forgot what you or the program set for the project preset once the new project is opened, you can go to Edit Menu/Project Settings/General and figure out what was set by looking at the readings for Editing Mode, Timebase, Frame Size, and Pixel Aspect Ratio (whether the fields appear to be grayed out or not).

You can set the correct project preset manually (based on what you know to be the properties of what you are going to import to the Timeline). To do that...

a. open project

b. File Menu/New/Project

c. Change the project preset (descriptions for each are shown)

d. Before exiting the final dialog there, put a check mark next to "Force Selected Project Setting on This Project"

e. Then import your files into the project with the Add Media/..

As for "Default Scale to Frame Size"....You can find this option in Edit Menu/Preferences/General. Typically it has a check mark next to it. In that case, when you import a file into the project and drag it to the Timeline, the image will be scaled to the frame size that the project preset has. So, if you have a 1920 x 1080 project preset, 1920 x 1080 image, and its going to this 1920 x 1080 space, no scaling.

But, if you have a 1920 x 1080 project preset, a 720 x 480 4:3 image, and its going to this 1920 x 1080 space, the option is going to try to scale the 720 x 480 to 1920 x 1080. The latter would end up with black borders as best possible fit.

You can leave the option turned off, and then scale your imports according to the space that was established by the project preset setting.

As a bonus, you can turn the feature On or Off for a given Timeline file at the Timeline level, by right clicking the file and enabling "Scale to Frame Size" in the pop up.

The above is probably more than what you wanted to know, but I felt it important to mention this since these are some basic features of the program. Whether any of the above has anything to do with your present question is questionable at this point.

More later.

ATR

• 6. Re: Video 1 bleeds into a still in Video 3
                    mikecox_ Level 1

Before I parse your last message let me just say that I created a "new project", added the 3 images in question to the video 3 timeline along with the MOV file I've been using to Video 1,  It ran perfectly; without any bleeding.

I also noted the "Preject settings" the ones I've been using. They are "NTSC-AVCHD-Full DS 1080 30"

• 7. Re: Video 1 bleeds into a still in Video 3
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Michael,

Great news about your new project success. Based on that, can you see or did you catch any significant difference between the new and old that might have created the glitch in the old.

Thanks for the project preset of NTSC AVCHD Full HD 1080i30.

Probably the major significant part of your upcoming parsing is

The above is probably more than what you wanted to know, but I felt it important to mention this since these are some basic features of the program. Whether any of the above has anything to do with your present question is questionable at this point

Is the project completed now or do you have more to do on it?

Best wishes

ATR

• 8. Re: Video 1 bleeds into a still in Video 3
                        mikecox_ Level 1

can you see or did you catch any significant difference between the new and old that might have created the glitch in the old.

No. 

This morning I removed all the clips in this project; except Video 1, then published Video 1 as an AVI file.  I then deleted the cut up version of Video 1 and replaced it with the AVI version. It made no difference. 

Then I removed everything exept this clip. No change.

This is what the image looks like with everything removed.

No change.jpg

I'm baffled!  When I created the New Project this image behaved.  Why does it misbehave in all other copies of this project; even with everythig; except this image removed?

It would appear that the only solutoin to this problem is to Start from scratch and recreate the entire project as a New project.  But that doesn't answer the question; why is this happening   What will I do if it happens again?

I recreated this image from scratch last night.  I created a 1920x1080 background, layer this image onto it, flattened the image and saved is at a jpg; exactly as I did with the other two.  Why do they behave.  Why is only this one not behaving? 

The project is not complete, I still have more to do on it

• 9. Re: Video 1 bleeds into a still in Video 3
                          RonFred Level 1

Hi Mike:

I too have experienced this "bleed" problem in Premiere cc 2014.  I have one video clip over a still image, and the still image shows through the video!  I can suggest two solutions that have worked for me:

• Try reinstalling Adobe Premiere, odd problems can sometimes be a result of faulty execution.
                          • Try adding a "black" or "white" video below the video using "New Item" -> "Black Video" or "New Item" -> "Color Matte" from file menu (or right clicking from the project panel) to reduce the amount of bleed.
                          • 10. Re: Video 1 bleeds into a still in Video 3
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

Ron Fredericks

Why would Mike be installing Premiere Pro? As far as I have ever known, he is a Premiere Elements user.

Did you note that his last post was in January 2014. I suspect by now he has gotten his answer, if not by exploration and

experimentation and rethinking his workflow, then from muvipix.

ATR

• 11. Re: Video 1 bleeds into a still in Video 3
                              VDRAVES Level 1

Could the problem be as simple as you "accidentally" applied the Videomerge effect to Video 3.  I have done that a couple of times when I was "aiming" for the Fade option in the timeline and it makes for a bizarre looking result.  It could be described as a bleeding through from the Video 1 line.  Removing the effect from Video 3 should correct the problem.

• 12. Re: Video 1 bleeds into a still in Video 3
                                mikecox_ Level 1

You are correct; I have always used PrE; currently v 12, but I am also now own, and have been experimenting with, Power Director 12.

But there has never been a definitive answer to this question and I have never understood which of my efforts to correct the effect caused it to clear up.  It has been awhile since I have experienced this effect and, at this point, I can't remember which action I took corrected it.  I believe it was something like reloading the media. But don't quote me

• 13. Re: Video 1 bleeds into a still in Video 3
                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Michael

Thanks for the post. I was concerned that you would not see the very recent posts that were entered into your thread here since you posted last in this thread in January 2014.

Did the recent suggestions work for you. You and I go back a long way in the search for Premiere Elements answers, and you know of my "determination" in this regard. Although you did not agree with my speculation on the cause of this "bleeding" issue, I still favor it. But, speculations are just that until facts replace them.

Did I read into what you just wrote that the good news is the problem has not returned in any of your projects from January 2014 until now July 3, 2014?

Have a great holiday weekend.

Best wishes

ATR

• 14. Re: Video 1 bleeds into a still in Video 3
                                    mikecox_ Level 1

Did the recent suggestions work for you.

I gave them some thought and tried to remember if the scenarios applied; but I don't think they did.  But I can't test them, at this point, because I can't replicate the situation and I haven't experienced it recently. 

Did I read into what you just wrote that the good news is the problem has not returned in any of your projects from January 2014 until now July 3, 2014?

Not exactly; it has returned, but only rarely, and Steve Grisetti; at movipix didn't have the solution either.  It appears to be an unresolved mystery; and one I once believed was unique to me, which made be think it was a system issue.  But now I see I am not alone in having experiencing this problem, which, kinda, rules out the system argument.

• 15. Re: Video 1 bleeds into a still in Video 3
                                      RonFred Level 1

Hi ATR:

I go way back as a support engineer - with some small success. 

To mystically surmise that the original problem is solved because it is a few months old, is of no value to this conversation at all ATR.  I on the other hand do otter an experimental solution that worked for me for others to try, if they land here via google search, as I did.

• 16. Re: Video 1 bleeds into a still in Video 3
                                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Ron Fredericks

Problems with the same symptoms can (often do) have different causes. And, your mention of a Premiere Pro instruction to install for a Premiere Elements issue made me wonder if you realized the dating and background on this thread and its user.

When I saw your recent post in an older thread, I thought that you were trying to help specifically Michael with a recent specific problem set  rather than offer a generalized solution for anyone one finding this thread one way or another in a timeless fashion - a Premiere CC 2014 projected solution for Premiere Elements as well as Premiere CC.

Because of the nature of the thread I made no mystical surmise. Unfortunately, users often do not have time to return to a thread to report "the rest of the story" although we strongly encourage and give thanks for follow ups. Your posts and those of some others seem to have encouraged Michael to give us the up to date story for a thread that he posted on his issue.

ATR