1 Reply Latest reply on Jan 25, 2014 5:11 PM by A.T. Romano

"This type of file is not supported, or the required codec is not installed." when importing files.

thecardinalhouse

This "This type of file is not supported, or the required codec is not installed." comes up on the screen when I try to import JPEG or movie files into Premiere Elements. This has not happened before AND I tried importing the same files into an already existing movie that had the same files... but the files will also be: "This type of file is not supported, or the required codec is not installed." I tried starting a new project, I tried changing the settings, I tried compressing the files... nothing works.

HELP.

• 1. Re: "This type of file is not supported, or the required codec is not installed." when importing files.
          A.T. Romano Level 7

thecardinalhouse

What version of Premiere Elements are you using and on what computer operating system is it running?

What are the properties of thes files that you are trying to import? In the case of the jpg, do they have the Photoshop color profile of CMYK or are the raw or dng image type? What are the pixel dimensions of these photos? If video, what is the

video compression, audio compression, frame size, frame rate, interlaced or progressive, file extension, pixel aspect ratio?

What are you or the program setting as the project preset for these Premiere Elements projects that are presenting with this error message?

How would you characterize your issue "It worked before but not now" or "It never worked before"?

Please run some of the still and video files involved through the free utility named gspot in order to troubleshoot the codec issue. Here I am looking for Video: Codec, Name, and Status as well as Audio: Codec, Name, and Status.

http://www.headbands.com/gspot/

More later.

We will be watching for your results.

Thank you.

ATR