6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 27, 2014 3:29 PM by A.T. Romano

Audio Video Out of Sync

caseyverhagen

I've been searching all over the place, but none of the AV sync issues I have been reading about have been similar to what I am experiencing. I've been using Premiere for about a year and have not had this happen before, so it's strange that it would happen all of a sudden.

I use Xsplit to to capture gameplay to my local PC. Everything turns out great and when viewed in either VLC or Windows Media Player, the AV syncs perfectly without issue. Then I open the footage in premiere and the AV is out of sync. Previously this has not happened and yesterday while doing some recording, it happened with clips that I took from 3 different games. All together, there were about 7 clips. Again, everything is fine in VLC or WMP, but as soon as I bring it into Premiere the AV does not sync.

Here are my settings in Xsplit so you can see how it's being recorded:

Xsplit Settings.PNG

Resolution: 1920x1080 - HDTV (video) (16:9)

Framerate: 30.00 FPS

When I start a new project, I always select DSLR 1080p30. This may or may not be the best for what I am doing, but it has never given me issues in the past and seems to have really good quality when I'm finished.

To try and resolve the issue, I have cleared the media cache as suggested on some posts, tried renaming the clips extension from .mp4 to .mov and also tried some other default project settings. None of these seems to have done the trick.

I didn't bother trying to convert the video using a program like Handbrake because this has worked in the past and I don't want to waste time converting hours worth of video. I have recently updated Xsplit, but I don't believe that should have created any issues since the video works just fine in VLC and WMP.

In case someone decides to ask about the PC specs, it is more than sufficient for video editing:

Intel i7

32GB of RAM

2x 4GB 7850 Video cards

2x 500GB Momentus Hybrid Drives in RAID 1

If anyone has any suggestions on this or can point me to a resolution on another forum post that I may have missed, I would greatly appreciate it!

• 1. Re: Audio Video Out of Sync
          A.T. Romano Level 7

caseyberhagen

More on this in the morning. For now...

What are these 2x 4 GB 7850 Video cards?

Are you saying that this is a "it worked before but not now" or "it never worked before" issue. It sounds like this has worked in the past. In reflecting on before and after, any thoughts on what is different now?

If your source media has the properties of

1920 x 1080 @ 30 progressive frames per second

Then the NTSC/DSLR/1080p/DSLR 1080p30 project setting is appropriate.

I have not worked with X.264.mp4 as opposed to H.264.mp4, so no comment on that consideration yet. Any reason you selected X.264 instead of H.264 for your source .mp4 file?

Is it only this one 1920 x 1080 @ 30 progressive frames per second footage that is has the audio out of sync issue?

If so, was the file created with a constant or variable frame rate?

If you start a new project, same thing with this particular video clip?

How much out of sync is it? What is the duration of this video clip?

More later.

ATR

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Audio Video Out of Sync
            caseyverhagen Level 1

What are these 2x 4 GB 7850 Video cards?

The brand is: HIS 4GB AMD 7850 - Hopefully that's what you were asking.

Are you saying that this is a "it worked before but not now" or "it never worked before" issue. It sounds like this has worked in the past. In reflecting on before and after, any thoughts on what is different now?

Yes. If you take a look at my Youtube channnel (http://www.youtube.com/dutchieslandgaming) almost every video there was recorded in Xsplit and then edited in Premiere Elements.

The only thing that has changed on the PC is that I uninstalled/re-installed Java for a work related task and installed a few more games on Steam. Nothing on the hardware side has changed.

I have not worked with X.264.mp4 as opposed to H.264.mp4, so no comment on that consideration yet. Any reason you selected X.264 instead of H.264 for your source .mp4 file?

This is the default codec that Xsplit uses and cannot be changed. Apparently advanced users can add "strings" to it for aditional capabilities, but I have never done anything with it.

Is it only this one 1920 x 1080 @ 30 progressive frames per second footage that is has the audio out of sync issue?

The 1920x1080 @ 30FPS is the only recording that I do so I couldn't answer that.

If so, was the file created with a constant or variable frame rate?

This may be slightly difficult to answer. The framerate of a video game is variable since depending on what is being processed can impact the frames per second. However, Xsplit records at a constant 30 frames per second. Hopefully that helps.

If you start a new project, same thing with this particular video clip?

Yes.

How much out of sync is it? What is the duration of this video clip?

It's a few seconds out of sync and this applies to all 7 video clips that I am working with. The clips vary in length:

00:41:05

00:10:33

00:18:33

00:01:17

00:01:29

00:01:57

00:11:22

I hope all of this information helps and thank you for the response.

• 3. Re: Audio Video Out of Sync
              caseyverhagen Level 1

Something I am going to take a look at tonight is the "Force constant framerate" option that is located in the bottom left corner of the image that I posted.

I managed to find that people were having the same issues when using OBS (Open Broadcaster Software). The fix for them was to enable that option. I also mentioned that I updated Xsplit recently. This option was just added in the previous version (which I skipped over) and could explain why I had not expierienced this before.

I will give it a try and report back my findings.

• 4. Re: Audio Video Out of Sync
                A.T. Romano Level 7

caseyverhagen

Good troubleshooting.

Looking forward to learning of your findings which will be helpful to all.

Thanks.

ATR

• 5. Re: Audio Video Out of Sync
                  caseyverhagen Level 1

Well, my thought was right. Enabling "Force constant framerate" fixed the problem.

Xsplit Settings.PNG

I recorded a couple more clips and the AV sync is just fine. I'm not sure why this option wouldn't have been enabled by default since this must have been the default before the added the option to enable/disable it, but either way at least I know what the problem is now.

Now to fix the clips I have and continue recording in the fashion that works!

Thanks for the input!

• 6. Re: Audio Video Out of Sync
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

caseyverhagen

Thanks for the great news and the troubleshooting suggestion for others to explore if he/she finds himself/herself in a similar situation.

Much appreciated.

ATR