18 Replies Latest reply on Jan 27, 2014 8:12 AM by A.T. Romano

Message from premiere that harddrive needs updating...How!! and Why???

mantiboa892 Level 1

After attempting to sign in againit worked but now a message comes up hardrive display needs updating or somthing to that effect... So sick and tired of spending money on Adobe and so many problems trying to get it to function. How do we fix this apparent hard drive problem. Also why can i not access this soft ware I just bought without signing in every time .This is just bad.!!I cannot use the product I paid for.All these problems makes you decide you wont buy any more Adobe products.

• 1. Re: Message from premiere that harddrive needs updating...How!! and Why???
          A.T. Romano Level 7

mantiboa892

What version of Premiere Elements are you using and on what computer operating system is it running?

Please post the exact message that you are getting from the program regarding "hard drive display needs updating or something to that effect".

I am guessing that is the display card error regarding updating your video card driver. If that is the case, the classical

remedies are:

a. Go to the web site of the manaufacturer of the video card and make sure that you have the latest video card driver version.

If you do have the latest driver,

b. Then delete the Premiere Elements BadDrivers.txt file

The path to the file in Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit is (if you have Premiere Elements 12)....

Local Disk C

Program Data

Adobe

Premiere Elements

and delete the BadDrivers.txt file in the Premiere Elements Folder. Besides the BadDrivers.txt files there are folders in the Premiere Elements Folder. You do not want anything in the latter folders. You want the BadDrivers.txt file in specifically "Premiere Elements" Folder.

The rationale for this BadDrivers.txt file goes back to the days of version 9. Explanation is found in post 10 of this older thread.

http://forums.adobe.com/message/3177024

If any questions or you need clarification on anything written, please do not hesitate to ask.

Thank you.

• 2. Re: Message from premiere that harddrive needs updating...How!! and Why???
            mantiboa892 Level 1

Thanks a lot. I'll check it out. Yes it is to do with the video card. I assume i go to Microsoft.Is that right.? I have premiere12. But I am going to need to ask another question now. I have done a timelapse video in the camera. A frame every 6 seconds for an hour or more.I hope i have the right software.I am new to this.

• 3. Re: Message from premiere that harddrive needs updating...How!! and Why???
              A.T. Romano Level 7

mantiboa892

Thanks for the reply.

You want to go to the web site of the manufacturer of your video card.

So, we need to start off with what video card does your computer use...NVIDIA, AMD (ATI)...?

So you would go to that web site. In some cases, you would go to the web site of the manufacturer of your computer.

In your computer's Device Manager, what does it list for Display Adapter? Or, does your computer use 2 video cards. In the latter case, you should see two cards name there.

If you confirm that you do have the latest video card version, then delete the BadDrivers.txt file as described in the prior post numbered 1.

Please let me know if you are OK with those details. Any problems, please do not hesitate to ask for clarification.

Thanks.

ATR

• 4. Re: Message from premiere that harddrive needs updating...How!! and Why???
                mantiboa892 Level 1

Well after all that I think the problem is solve. I took a simple route to Microsoft pages, read thru several followed instructions which was to check updates by typing in updates after pressing the start button in my comp. I found that Silverlight was recommended as important update and so updated that and now the video editor works without having to sign in. I checked what Silverlight is and saw something to do with videos. So I assumed that must be the issue. About 2 mnths ago Silverlight came up on my pc screen to update but I did not update as I didn't know what it was and did not check it outeither. Now I know.

Thanks so much for your help Romano! It was in the end quite straightforward.

I no doube tho I shall need some help with editing the video in the near future.   

• 5. Re: Message from premiere that harddrive needs updating...How!! and Why???
                  mantiboa892 Level 1

by the way I have a laptop and theydon't have cards....but GPU. But problem solved.....I hope. I shall try out the editor tomorrow.

• 6. Re: Message from premiere that harddrive needs updating...How!! and Why???
                    mantiboa892 Level 1

Another interestin point is that just after our discussion on this Adobe update for premiere and Adobe Raw came which i then updated. I also wrote on here couple months ago about Camera Raw not working. So I hope that works now.

• 7. Re: Message from premiere that harddrive needs updating...How!! and Why???
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

mantiboa892

First, about Premiere Elements and Camera Raw plug-in.

In Premiere Elements 12 the Camera Raw 8.3 installation will allow you to import a raw or dng image (media source). However, it does not give you the opportunity to open the Camera Raw dialog in Premiere Elements in order to edit the raw image. You need unless Photoshop Elements 12 for that.

But, as always, you need a version of Camera Raw that supports your camera, and that version of Camera Raw has to be supported by the version of Premiere Elements that you are using.

Camera Raw updates are from within Premiere Elements, Help Menu/Updates.

l have never heard of a computer (laptop or desktop) that does not have a video card (aka display card or graphics card). Just what do you have listed in Device Manager/Display Adapters/...nothing?

But, it sounds like you have made great progress getting Premiere Elements projects moving forward. Great job.

ATR

• 8. Re: Message from premiere that harddrive needs updating...How!! and Why???
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

I have a laptop and theydon't have cards....but GPU.

In most laptops, one has an embedded graphics chip, usually on the MoBo. That might be an Intel, an nVidia, or an AMD/ATI chip, but those work the same way - through a video driver, and PrE must interface very intensively with the driver. That is why most will recommend keeping that video driver updated. Even simple OS updates can render a video driver obsolete, and often without the user even knowing that those OS updates have been applied.

Good luck, and happy editing,

Hunt

• 9. Re: Message from premiere that harddrive needs updating...How!! and Why???
                          mantiboa892 Level 1

The camera raw, actually, I was refering to a problem i had  afew months ago and that was in ps elements. That's amore complicaed story. At the moment i need to get the video sorted out without raw images. The info i saw about laptops not having cards but GPU was on a microsoft site and this is where i got all my info today about the driver.   (video cards on microsoft) cant post the link on here.

• 10. Re: Message from premiere that harddrive needs updating...How!! and Why???
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

mantiboa892

Thanks for the follow ups.

We are pleased with your progress. You did great. Just let us know how and if we can be of further assistance with this video card business or other.

Thanks.

ATR

• 11. Re: Message from premiere that harddrive needs updating...How!! and Why???
                              mantiboa892 Level 1

ok thanku too. This morning when I tried to open the editor there was the same message appeared as yesterday and couldnt open it so i went into microsoft updates and since yesterday a security update for Microsoft Silverlight was needed to be installed so it seems got to constantly watch out for those updates. After i updated that then i could open it again. This is a nuisance of course.

So my first attempt at using the editor is certainly not straightforward just as i expected. I am really in the dark with this if there were a simple instruction booklet included with premeire when you buy it would help and not just a lot of stuff to read as you can find on a pdf manual on the net. In the pdf it says mainly what you can do and nothing on HOW you do. Or a video on the net.

Anyway I dragged down a couple of frames ..these are all still frames from a timelapse of the aurora borealis done in the camera so i hope this works. Then for some reason a whole load of frames dropped down..lol...hahaah....and dont know it happened but i cancelled all that and sll start again.

I am having dificulty controlling this slider , this is why it's important to have some kind of demo video otherwise you dont know what you are doing.

I want ot start with simplest video first. I need to speed up the timelapse. The frames are taken every 6 seconds over more than an hour or so.

the first question is how do i operate the frames dragged down .....diffuclt to control. i have to just practice which is goung to take a long time.

Any suggestions?

Many thanks

• 12. Re: Message from premiere that harddrive needs updating...How!! and Why???
                                mantiboa892 Level 1

i have made a start in the prem el. editor dragged down this time the first frame of the time lapse. ----clicked on instant movie.2. clicked on render and i can see there it will take 1hr 50mins. So dont understand it realy bbut i have to try. See what happens . What does this mean that this is being rendered . ?

• 13. Re: Message from premiere that harddrive needs updating...How!! and Why???
                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

mantiboa892

Please take a look at my blog posts relating to Premiere Elements and Timelapse Video and see if any of the information in them helps.

http://www.atr935.blogspot.com/2013/07/pe-time-lapse-video-basics.html

http://www.atr935.blogspot.com/2013/08/pe-numbered-stills-in-time-lapse-and.html

More later.

Thanks for the follow ups.

ATR

• 14. Re: Message from premiere that harddrive needs updating...How!! and Why???
                                    mantiboa892 Level 1

thanks a lot. I forgot to check the pixels. I looked in the camera for the size but not find it.

If this doesnt work then no prob I'll just start over again. Got to start somewhere and see how it goes,it's the only way I'll learn....thru mistakes. I'm concerned that that this rendering process is taking almost 2hrs. That was about how long  i left the camera on timelapse.

I expect i can speed up the video..that's the idea .....so the video becomes much shorter.A few minutes long..

• 15. Re: Message from premiere that harddrive needs updating...How!! and Why???
                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

mantiboa892

After reading the links provided, if you run into any problems setting the photo durations or calculating the photo durations needed for a given total time, do not hesitate to ask.

But, it sounds like you are making progress.

ATR

• 16. Re: Message from premiere that harddrive needs updating...How!! and Why???
                                        A.T. Romano Level 7

mantiboa892

Referring back to your post 12.

When you see "rendering" in the editing workspace, it is referring to the program getting the best possible preview of what you have. This is especially helpful when dealing with transitions, titles, effects, and non native formats.

ATR

• 17. Re: Message from premiere that harddrive needs updating...How!! and Why???
                                          mantiboa892 Level 1

thanks alot. Aftr reading your blog i understand why all the frames dropped down as they were all part of the timelapse sequence.

the first time i triedit i wanted to include some other shots not part of the sequence and then the begin of the sequence following those and then i probably moved the orange line across and thats when the timelapse sequence dropped down. I didnt understand what happened but now i see a little more. thanks again. Do i need to start a new discussion topic or shall i continue with questions on this one? Now the video card problem is solved.

• 18. Re: Message from premiere that harddrive needs updating...How!! and Why???
                                            A.T. Romano Level 7

mantiboa892

It might be a good idea to start a new thread if the focus is going to be Premiere Elements and Time Lapse video. The thread title for the thread that we are in now will mask that discussion if someone else is looking for history on Premiere Elements and Time Lapse problems.

ATR