6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 26, 2014 6:38 PM by A.T. Romano

Premier 12, Titles & Text, Current Time indicator, Pan & zoom

AZ Aurora Level 1

I am using Premier 12 and am really enjoying the program, I had been using Premier 8 and I am getting much fewer project crashes, in fact almost none! Whomever worked on this program did a really good job. I am also finding it very user friendly and have been using both the "quick" and the "expert" portions of the program. That said I have three questions,

1. Titles and text, I am using one with "scrolling credits", is there a function where I can either "freeze" the screen after it scrolls to the text OR is there a function to "replay" the text instead of just going "black" and stopping?
      2. Also when I have added all of my clips onto the timeline and have my "curent time indicator" at the "end" it does not stop and "go back" to the beginning/home unless I manually hit the "home" on my keyboard. I want to make sure that when I go to burn that the movie will instantly go back to the beginning of the project.
      3. Is is possible to do a type of "Ken Burns" panning and zooming with Premier 12 and if so how do you do it?

Thanks

• 1. Re: Premier 12, Titles & Text, Current Time indicator, Pan & zoom
          the_wine_snob Level 9

For #1, you can use Keyframing of the Title, for say Motion>Position, to create your animation, and, through that, can pause, speed up, slow down, really do almost anything. The Ainimation Presets are fairly rudimentary, and somewhat limited.

If your CTI (Current Time Indicator) is going beyond where you think that it should stop, you like have an Orphan, or two, out beyond the last Clip. This article goes into more detail on Orphans - finding them, and Deleting them: http://forums.adobe.com/message/2887552#2887552

For a Ken Burns effect, one can use the Animation Presets for Pan & Zoom, or for much more control, one can Keyframe both Motion>Position (as above for the Titles, for Pan), and Motion>Scale (for Zoom), in a virtually unlimited manner.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Premier 12, Titles & Text, Current Time indicator, Pan & zoom
            the_wine_snob Level 9

For a good overview of Basic Keyframing in PrE, Steve Grisetti's series would be a great place to start:

http://muvipix.com/products.php?searchphrase=Basic+Keyframing&btn.x=0&btn.y=0

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Premier 12, Titles & Text, Current Time indicator, Pan & zoom
              A.T. Romano Level 7

AuroraAz

Good to learn of your progress with Premiere Elements 12.

3. Is is possible to do a type of "Ken Burns" panning and zooming with Premier 12 and if so how do you do it?

The Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1 Horizontal and Vertical Pan & Zoom choices in Presets are available in version 12 under fx Effects/Presets/. As in 8.0/8.0.1, in 12 it is either pan OR zoom applied to each clip, not pan AND zoom.

As in 8.0/8.0.1, in 12 there is the Motion Panel expanded and its Toggle Animation for doing more advanced pan and zoom effects. Here look to Applied Effects Tab/Applied Effects Palette/Motion Panel expanded for it Scale (for Zoom) and Position (Pan) properties.

The Pan and Zoom Tool is not found in version 8.0/8.0.1. It can be found in 12, Tools Menu/Pan and Zoom. The feature comes with its own workspace once you select the image and then the feature under Tools Menu. Note, when the panned and zoom image is returned to the Premiere Elements workspace from the Pan and Zoom workspace, the duration of the image is markedly increased. That is normal. Here is a sample of more information on the topic

online video tutorial on use of Pan and Zoom Tool

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhLBAT_kLHs

my blog post on the subject, including applying same pan and zoom effect of Pan and Zoom Tool to more than one image at a time

http://www.atr935.blogspot.com/2013/05/pe11-pan-zoom-tool-more-than-one-photo.html

work in progress with gtavetian, regarding Pan and Zoom Tool and Portrait Oriented Images

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1382933?tstart=60

2. Also when I have added all of my clips onto the timeline and have my "curent time indicator" at the "end" it does not stop and "go back" to the beginning/home unless I manually hit the "home" on my keyboard. I want to make sure that when I go to burn that the movie will instantly go back to the beginning of the project.

I am not sure that you are dealing with leftover beyond the left gray tab of the Work Area Bar. So let us make sure.

After you have added all your clips to the Timeline, do the gray tabs of the Work Area Bar span that Timeline content from what you see as the beginning and end of the whole content? When you hit the play button of the monitor, does the Timeline content playback from beginning and end of what you can see as the beginning and end or does the Timeline Indicator continue beyond the last item that you put on the Timeline? If the latter, then you are some fragments further to the right of the end that you can see. Typically the present (with Timeline content expanded max) as very thin vertical black lines which will need to be deleted. In these cases, use the End key stop position to search for the leftover(s).

Other Home and End key to navigate the whole Timeline content under the gray tabs of the Work Area Bar.

Titles and text, I am using one with "scrolling credits", is there a function where I can either "freeze" the screen after it scrolls to the text OR is there a function to "replay" the text instead of just going "black" and stopping?

The basics of this feature should be the same as in Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1. Menu name is different and Titler has a different look but principles are the same between 8.0/8.0.1 and 12. Are you talking about looping a text title? Sounds like that. If so we can talk about that in greater detail. Have you done in 8.0/8.0.1 what you want to go in 12 in this regard? Or is this a new effect that you want to achieve?

Please review. Keep up the great work.

ATR

• 4. Re: Premier 12, Titles & Text, Current Time indicator, Pan & zoom
                AZ Aurora Level 1

Bill,

Okay I have gone to Steve's site and downloaded the instructions for key framing but I do not find anything in PRE 12 that looks like that. What I did find when I went to the clip and right clicked, I found show clip keyframes and than found motion and found the position, scale, rotation, etc. but when I either left or right click on those "nothing happens". What am I doing wrong? Thanks

• 5. Re: Premier 12, Titles & Text, Current Time indicator, Pan & zoom
                  AZ Aurora Level 1

A.T.

1. Title and text, yes I am talking about "looping a text title and no I had not done that in 8.0 so this is a "new effect", so please discuss in greater detail

2. My time line indicator stops at the end of the last clip so there are no "fragments", but I thought when it stopped it would or should automatically "go back" to home. That is what I want it to do when I go to burn the project. I want it to play thru and than go back to the beginning.

3. The pan and zoom is new to me, I did not use it with my 8.0 projects, I used allot of transitions. It was "suggested" by someone to try the pan and zoom to give that "Ken Burns" look as they thought that to be "more professional" I will look at your links and see if that is something that I want to pursue.

I have replied to Bill also which is below. I will watch for your reply on this also. Thanks

• 6. Re: Premier 12, Titles & Text, Current Time indicator, Pan & zoom
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

AuroraAz

There is no feature for looping rolling or crawling titles in Premiere Elements.

I do not know how practical it would be to stagger multiple same rolling credit file for however long you want the loop duration to last?

I will think about this one some more.

No going back to home automatically. You can see that type of thing in disc menus in

the burn to products where after the last scene the view goes back to the main menu

automatically. If you were dealing with a upload to YouTube, this might be a YouTube

set, not sure.

Check out the links on the details of pan and zoom effect, often referred to as Ken Burns effect.

If you put the Pan and Zoom Tool aside and decide to keyframe the Motion Scale (for Zoom) and Position (for Pan) properties for the effect, then check out the Expert workspace after selecting Applied Effects/Applied Effects Palette/Motion Panel expanded.

Keyframing.JPG

The icon below the first is the Toggle Animation icon that you click on to initiate the automatic

keyframing from the start and as you move across the Timeline with the Timeline Indicator and

are changing the values for Scale and/or Position.

The icon at the top is the Show/Hide keyframes icon that you click on to get the following

view of what you are doing. This allow you to see the keyframe generated in the process

at each step.

p&z2.JPG

After check out some of my work in the links already provided, we can talk about

the specific of what you intend (step by step if necessary).

Thanks.

ATR