5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 21, 2014 9:02 AM by mgoebel11

Why don't layer effects work for pictures in Photoshop CC?

Bgeo25

Layer effects don't show up in Photoshop CC for pictures. They work fine for text but not for any picture. The picture layers are unlocked, I've updated Photoshop and I've cleared the preferences but still nothing. Any suggestions?

• 1. Re: Why don't layer effects work for pictures in Photoshop CC?
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

We can't know. "Pictures" is way too generic and we have no idea what operations you apply to them, e.g. whether you actually create proper transparency as required for many layer styles. You need to explain much better.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Why don't layer effects work for pictures in Photoshop CC?
            Bgeo25 Level 1

Okay here's excactly what I did. I opened a picture (JPG) and made a new layer from the background (Layer 0).

Next, I selected an area in the picture using the magnetic lasso tool.

Then, I clicked effects (FX) in the Layers window and made sure the correct layer was selected. I proceeded to add an Outer Glow. I increased the opacity to 100% for good measure.

When I clicked Ok to close the the layer styles window, the Layers window in the bottom right said that I have "Effects > Outer Glow" under "Layer 0" but the picture remained totally unchanged.

Photoshop tells me that a layer style should be there but nothing is there. Also, I used to do this exact method and it used to work fine; now, for some reason it's giving me a hard time.

• 3. Re: Why don't layer effects work for pictures in Photoshop CC?
              Warunicorn Adobe Community Professional

Promote the selection to a new layer (Ctrl or Cmd + J to copy; Ctrl or Cmd + Shift + J to cut), then try to apply the layer style.

• 4. Re: Why don't layer effects work for pictures in Photoshop CC?
                Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

It is doubtful that this ever worked as you describe. Just selecting something doesn't introduce any transparency unless you already have a layer mask/ are in quick mask mode. This has never worked any differently for as long as I can think and there is your problem - you do not create transparency. That is, of course there is transparency outside your image rectangle and that's where the layer styles render, but not in the image itself...

Mylenium

• 5. Re: Why don't layer effects work for pictures in Photoshop CC?
                  mgoebel11

I think I understand what you're saying.  I just took a jpeg, selected an area with the rectangular marquee, made it a new layer, then went to Layer>Layer Style>Outer Glow.  I get the menu to adjust the outer glow but it does not show any preview of it (Yes, I have the "Preview" option checked) and when I select "OK" it then shows in my history that the effects have been applied but nothing changes.