10 Replies Latest reply on Jan 30, 2014 8:45 AM by the_wine_snob

When I go to burn BD I am only given choise of BD-RW not BD-R?

Adobe Fish

When I go to burn a blu-ray software indicates recognotion of BD-RW only and not BD-R. Other software has no problem accepting BD-R on my PIONEER writer..

• 1. Re: When I go to burn BD I am only given choise of BD-RW not BD-R?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Adobe Fish

What version of Premiere Elements do you have and on what computer operating system is it running?

There is not BD-RW disc. I think you mean BD-RE. That is the BD disc whose content can be overwritten.

http://www.videohelp.com/hd

There is no option in the burn dialog of any version of Premiere Elements to designate BD-R or BD-RE. The program accepts either. The burn to uses the built in burn soft of Premiere Elements, but the burner is your Pioneer with its specifications. What does your Blu-ray burner manual say for supported discs?

But let us back up a little.

1. What happens when you have a BD-R disc in the Pioneer Blu-ray burner tray and you get to the burn dialog for the Blu-ray burn to disc...

a. Is the burner itself recognized in the burner location field?

b. What does the Status field show?

2. What happens when you have a BD-RE disc in the Pioneer Blu-ray burner tray and you get to the burn dialog for the Blu-ray burn to disc

a. Is the burner itself recognized in the burner location field?

b. What does the Status field show?

3. What brand Blu-ray discs are you using and what is the stated speed? Have you tried another brand and/or batch of BD-R disc?

Let us start here and then decide what next.

Thanks.

ATR

• 2. Re: When I go to burn BD I am only given choise of BD-RW not BD-R?
            Adobe Fish Level 1

ELEMENTS 11.0

INTEL i7-4770K 3.5GHz

16GB Memory

Windows 7

In Burning location I have PIONEER BD-RW BDR-208M.

Status is MEDIA NOT PRESENT

When I put TDK BD-R (6x) in I get DISC NOT RECOGNISABLE.

Thanks

AF

• 3. Re: When I go to burn BD I am only given choise of BD-RW not BD-R?
              A.T. Romano Level 7

AF

Do you have the user guide for the Pioneer BD-RW BDR-208M? If so, does it indicate the supported disc types, including BD-R?

Have you ruled out the disc brand as well as the batch of discs that you have as factors for this problem?

I do not think it the reason, but have you checked for updates on firmware and drivers for the burner?

More later.

ATR

• 4. Re: When I go to burn BD I am only given choise of BD-RW not BD-R?
                Adobe Fish Level 1

Drivers are up to date and the BDR-208M supports BD-R.

New pack of blanks. Same symptoms.

Other software has no problem utilising the drives. Increasingly looks like Premier 11 is the culprit.

AF

• 5. Re: When I go to burn BD I am only given choise of BD-RW not BD-R?
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

AF

This is a hard one.

I have Premiere Elements 4 through 12 and have not had any problems in the burn to Blu-ray with BD-R (6X) or BD-RE (2X) discs. I have been using the Verbatim brand. My Blu-ray burner is an internal one from LG (12X). The computer operating system is Windows 7 Professional SP1 64 bit.

You wrote that you tried a new pack of blanks and same symptoms. I am assuming that the new pack was the same brand as before. If so, any chance of trying a new brand of BD-R, maybe Verbatim (suggested for troubleshooting and non promotional purposes)?

Let me back up for the moment. Have you ever been able to use a BD-R disc in the Premiere Elements (any version) using your present Pioneer burner and computer environment? Can you now burn to Blu-ray with any non Adobe program using your present BD-R, Pioneer burner, and computer environment?

It may be a stretch of information, but check out post 5 in the following link.

http://forum.dvdfab.com/showthread.php?t=11768

It relates to a BD-R not being recognized by a Pioneer Blu-ray burner.

Please review and then we can decide what next.

Thanks.

ATR

• 6. Re: When I go to burn BD I am only given choise of BD-RW not BD-R?
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Adobe Fish,

I do not want to disrupt the troubleshooting scheme, but wanted to add this a bit of info on this observation:

Other software has no problem utilising the drives. Increasingly looks like Premier 11 is the culprit.

Many burning programs, ImgBurn as an example, interface with a burner at the hardware level, essentially BEFORE the OS. Adobe programs, that support DVD/BD burning, such as Premiere Elements, Premiere Pro (versions before CS3) and Adobe Encore, interface with the burner at the OS level, and rely on only what the OS is reporting for that burner. They do not interface at the hardware level. So, if the OS is, for whatever reason, reporting something different about the burner, Premiere Elements can have issues.

Just a little bit of background, which might not apply to your instance. This is especially true, as you are having issues with a particular type of blank disc.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: When I go to burn BD I am only given choise of BD-RW not BD-R?
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Hunt 

You wrote

Just a little bit of background, which might not apply to your instance. This is especially true, as you are having issues with a particular type of blank disc.

Point well taken. That is why it will be interesting to learn the answer to my prior question

Can you now burn to Blu-ray with any non Adobe program using your present BD-R, Pioneer burner, and computer environment?

Often there is Blu-ray burn software that comes bundled with the Blu-ray burner. If that is the case here, a successful burn to Blu-ray in that non Adobe program and using the present Pioneer Blu-ray burner/BD-R disc in the same computer environment would be great information.

ATR

• 8. Re: When I go to burn BD I am only given choise of BD-RW not BD-R?
                        Adobe Fish Level 1

I have burnt TDK BD’s using other programs. Premier Elements 11 is the only problem. It is the first Adobe Premier Elements I have bought.

I will try a different brand BD as a long shot and then talk to Pioneer about it. Perhaps another long shot, but you never know.

Regards

AF

• 9. Re: When I go to burn BD I am only given choise of BD-RW not BD-R?
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

AF

Thanks for the continuing follow ups.

We will be watching for your further developments with a different brand BD-R as well as any comments from Pioneer on this matter.

More later.

ATR

• 10. Re: When I go to burn BD I am only given choise of BD-RW not BD-R?
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Adobe Fish,

Once, TDK was a respected mfgr. of blank media (going back to reel-to-reel tapes), but, and at least for blank DVD media, they seem to have adopted the Memorex "business model" of buying the cheapest blank media that day, then adding their logo to it, and packaging it. I am not sure if the exact same policy exists for their BD blank media, but would suspect that it is. That can lead to a single spindle of blank media having products from several suppliers, and some might not be as good as others, in the same spindle. This can confuse users, who might get a few really good discs, followed by some dodgey discs, and they assume that every disc is from the same mfgr. and even same lot, when they might be, but also might not be. Ritek is the same - once a highly-respected mfgr., but then they quit actually making anything, and only using their name on others' blank media. That is one reason why many will only use, say Verbatim. (For blank DVD media, I also recommend Falcon Pro and Taiyo-Yuden - until they go "Memorex" on me.)

Good luck, and we will be awaiting your tests, and the answers to ATR's questions.

Hunt