9 Replies Latest reply on Jan 27, 2014 11:00 AM by Rick Gerard

How to choose camera for rendering

mari8899 Level 1

I have Win and AE CC, my composition was done in "Camera 1" view but rendering is always taking "Active Camera", how do I change my rendering settings to take "Camera 1" ?

Thanks

• 1. Re: How to choose camera for rendering
          Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Is Camera 1 not the active camera? If you put it to the top of the composition, it will be the active camera.

• 2. Re: How to choose camera for rendering
            Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

AE will always use the topmost camera layer for rendering. If there are other cameras in your scene, simply strip them away.

Mylenium

• 3. Re: How to choose camera for rendering
              mari8899 Level 1

No they are different, when I use Camera1 when you preview video is moving around, while Active camera is not going anywhere.

How to put on top Camera1 ?

• 4. Re: How to choose camera for rendering

You put Camera 1 on top of your timeline layers in the same way you would rearrage any other layers. Simply drag it to the top of the layer stack in the timeline.

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: How to choose camera for rendering
                  mari8899 Level 1

There isn't Camer1 layer in timeline, btw  I'm using one pre-made template and I'm editing it.

Snap1.jpg

• 6. Re: How to choose camera for rendering

The premade template has hidden a lot of stuff so that things don't get messed up. Things are hidden by setting layers to be shy. The camera is likely one of those layers that is hidden. If you reveal all of the shy layers by clicking the shy toggle switch (the image of the guy peeking over the wall at the top of your timeline panel next to the motion blur and frame blending switches), you will see it.

• 7. Re: How to choose camera for rendering
                      mari8899 Level 1

Found it, and here is it now:

Snap1.jpg

When I click in Timeline (Parent) Camera Control I see this, and I can't choose Camera 1, is that why I can't render with Camera1 ?

Snap2.jpg

• 8. Re: How to choose camera for rendering

What do you mean you "can't choose Camera 1"? You have it selected now.

If Camera 1 is the only active camera in the comp, it should be the same exact view as the active camera's view because it is the active camera.

• 9. Re: How to choose camera for rendering
                          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

No matter what camera you have selected in your Composition Panel the project will render using Active Camera. To render with a different camera you 1, have to have more than one camera in a composition, and 2, move the camera you want to use above the other camera.

If cameras are nested in Pre-comps they will be used unless Collapse transformations is turned on for those comps. In that case the camera in your main comp will be used.

If the camera was named when created then typing cam in the search field will reveal all layers that have camera settings and therefore all layers that are cameras. *Note: this will also reveal any layers that have a name starting with cam.

If there is more than one camera in your composition and the cameras in and out point overlap the top camera will be used as the active camera. This is very basic stuff. Finding a camera should be fairly simple in just about any composition.

Here's a comp with 90 layers and 2 cameras named bob and bob's cousin just for demonstration purposes with cam entered in the search field. In this case bob's cousin is the active camera because it is above bob....

Screen Shot 2014-01-27 at 10.55.58 AM.png

Simple, easy, nothing to id. It's part of the AE basics. In your example there is only one camera so that is the camera that will render. You can't change that unless you add another camera. Changing Camera 1 to Acttive Camera in the Composition Panel should not change the view.