• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can I undo the damage caused by cancelling a Flash Player update?

Jan 27, 2014 Jan 27, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This afternoon I started a Flash Player update. I opted for custom settings and one message was about changes to Internet Explorer settings. Although it's installed, I use Firefox so decided to cancel the update.

Something had changed so I decided to close down all programmes and restart the computer. When it restarted there had been a total reset. Firefox and Office programmes went through the first time of using sequences. There are no restore points. My Documents is empty. My hard drive is partitioned and while the Excel data folders are there, all Word documents have vanished. I last backed them up about a month ago.

I can currently running Malware Bytes to see if it can spot any unwanted programmes. Any ideas anyone?

Brian

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 27, 2014 Jan 27, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Whatever you downloaded.... DIDN'T come from here.

1. There are three different Flash Player plug-ins for Windows (ActiveX, Standard and "PepperFlash" for Chrome). Each works independently of the others, and installing ActiveX won't prompt about changes to Firefox or vice-versa for the Standard plug-in changing IE.

2. There isn't anything in a legitimate Flash Player installer to delete any files at all. It will "overwrite" existing files in one or two locations, depending on your system (32 or 64 bit): C/Windows/System32/Macromed/Flash, and C/Windows/SysWOW64/Macromed/Flash. It will also install a control panel app on a first install, to add a Global Settings manager.

Outside of the above mentioned places, Flash Player doesn't change anything on your system.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines