13 Replies Latest reply on Jan 29, 2014 3:25 PM by Graham Hutchins

Do not update Proapps Quicktime Codecs 1.0.4 on Mavericks

Graham Hutchins Level 1

Hi there,

I'm on a nMac Pro, 12 core, 64GB RAM Mavericks 10.9.1 and the latest versions of AE and Premiere.

I recently (today) updated my Quicktime proapps codecs from 1.0.3 to 1.0.4 at the prompting of Apple updater and it has broken AE and Premiere.

The Adobe QT32 server does not respond once either of these apps are opened and when I try to save my project in AE, the save dialogue gets to about 50-80% and then I get the spinning wheel of death, the system freezes up (although not completely, I can still move things around a bit and the clock still ticks forward) and I have to hard restart.

I'm on the phone with Apple Care right now trying to figure out a way to revert back to 1.0.3.

Any help with that process would be appreciated.  I can't find Proapps Quicktime codecs 1.0.3 anywhere on the web.

• 1. Re: Do not update Proapps Quicktime Codecs 1.0.4 on Mavericks
          Tim Kurkoski Adobe Employee

Graham,

Does the problem go away if you pull the codecs' component files out of Library/QuickTime?

• 2. Re: Do not update Proapps Quicktime Codecs 1.0.4 on Mavericks
            Graham Hutchins Level 1

Hi Tim,

Thanks for the response.

I was going to post an update where I did exactly this, but for some reason the forum wouldn't let me update my post after I typed it and I lost it :/

So yes, copied and deleted the component files, ran the Proapps Quicktime Codecs 1.0.4 updater and did not replace any non-duplicate components that I copied to my desktop (I did this the first time I tried this and the issue persisted)

Seems to work now.  I have a Blackmagic component, a few errant DVCProHD ones, iChatTheater and LiveType components that were not included in the 1.0.4 update.  At some point, I'll try replacing the outstanding components one by one to see which one brings up the hang/freeze, but for now, I need to get back to work.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Do not update Proapps Quicktime Codecs 1.0.4 on Mavericks
              Todd_Kopriva Level 8

Thanks for the information, Graham.

• 4. Re: Do not update Proapps Quicktime Codecs 1.0.4 on Mavericks
                Graham Hutchins Level 1

So now the Adobe CEF helper is locking up the system.

I just tried a render and it got about 80% done and then system locked up, right as I was trying to write this response (I'm on my laptop now).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  My workday has been at a stand still for the past 3 hours.

• 5. Re: Do not update Proapps Quicktime Codecs 1.0.4 on Mavericks

My current thoughts are:

1. Isolate the ProApps codecs component files to determine if one or more of them are factors in the problem.

2. Do you have another computer with the 1.0.3 version of the ProApps codec component files, which you could copy over to this machine?

3. Test rendering via AME as a potential workaround.

4. As a secondary workaround, test rendering to an image sequence if you don't require audio. Although After Effects tries to safely close partially-rendered files in case of a failure, image sequences are the safest way to render. Once the entire comp has completed (over multiple render sessions if necessary), the sequence can be transcoded into your delivery codec much faster than rendering the source comp.

• 6. Re: Do not update Proapps Quicktime Codecs 1.0.4 on Mavericks
                    Graham Hutchins Level 1

Tried force quitting Adobe CEF helper and running a render, that didn't work.

I did export a TIFF sequence successfully, still started to hang a bit toward the end, but it did finish.  Now I'm trying to save my project and it's hanging again, which means another hard restart.

I do have the 1.0.3 codecs on my laptop, I'm about to try swapping those over now.

• 7. Re: Do not update Proapps Quicktime Codecs 1.0.4 on Mavericks
                      Graham Hutchins Level 1

Replaced the QT component files, still not able to finish out a ProRes HQ render, it hangs on the last frame.

Why is it that AE will plow through the first half of a render and then come to a screeching halt on the last 3 frames?

I think at this point it may have more to do with the fact there's a match grain adjustment layer and I'm trying to do multicore rendering.

I really do long for the day when AE isn't so fussy when it comes time to render and works as advertized.  Multicore is great on paper, but if you can never use it because it's so inconsistent, what's the point?

I'm going to try to throw BG Renderer at it, so at least I can keep working while the slow renders happen.

P.S. Hooray! Turning off multicore rendering seems to have worked.  Moving forward.

• 8. Re: Do not update Proapps Quicktime Codecs 1.0.4 on Mavericks

Glad to hear you've got a workable solution.

At this point do you think the problems are related? In other words, would the same problem have occurred if you did not install the ProApp codecs update? I'm very willing to entertain the idea that it was solely a multiprocessing issue. Please don't hesitate file a bug, and include a link to your project file (if you can share) or at least a thorough description of how the project and your preferences are configured.

Graham Hutchins wrote:

I think at this point it may have more to do with the fact there's a match grain adjustment layer and I'm trying to do multicore rendering.

I really do long for the day when AE isn't so fussy when it comes time to render and works as advertized.  Multicore is great on paper, but if you can never use it because it's so inconsistent, what's the point?

That day is getting closer. More to share on that topic later this year, if things go well.

• 9. Re: Do not update Proapps Quicktime Codecs 1.0.4 on Mavericks
                          Graham Hutchins Level 1

"At this point do you think the problems are related? In other words, would the same problem have occurred if you did not install the ProApp codecs update?"

I think that's a safe assumption. I have a 100% motion graphics comp that I've been working on that AE chews through pretty easily in multicore, it think it's just not digging the ProRes.  I did have a mograph comp that AE was chewing through, but not anymore :/  This was on my internal drive though, soooo. . .

There may also be an IO component at work here as well.  I'm not working off internal drive on the Mac Pro, rather a USB3 external and I was reading and writing to the same drive.  I'm going to try writing to the internal and see if that doesn't alieveate things a bit.

So now it's just spinning wheels of death all the time.  I'm trying to view a single frame in the comp panel after adjusting and replacing some footage in a screen fill pre-comp and it's just hanging.  I've pressed caps lock to try and free it up, not working.  Nothing is really working.

I've adjusted the RAM settings, allocating more RAM to background processes.  I've probably hard restarted my machine twenty times today.

I'm turning off multicore completely.  What a let down today was.

• 10. Re: Do not update Proapps Quicktime Codecs 1.0.4 on Mavericks

Graham, sorry for the frustrating experience.

Yes, turn off multiprocessing and see if that helps. I suspect that you may have found a state where the high memory requirements of the frame (due to the effects), may not be playing well with multiprocessing. If you haven't already, maybe try a small number of background process (2-4) with a large amount of RAM each, and also a large amount of RAM for other applications.

When you have time, if you're able to isolate the conditions causing the slowdown, I'd be very interested. At the very least, if you are able to share the project with us we would be happy to profile it to see where the blockage is and whether there is something we need to improve.

Let us know what you find out.

• 11. Re: Do not update Proapps Quicktime Codecs 1.0.4 on Mavericks
                              Graham Hutchins Level 1

So allocating 6GB of RAM per thread and knocking it down to 8 threads has definitely improved system performance.  No more pinwheels and I can actually navigate around and type this post while rendering (and look at that, my render finished!)  This whole episode is probably one big PEBKAC error

I'm going to move some data around tonight and get my project back on to the internal drive.  We'll see how that goes.

Thanks Tim for the help.  Can't wait to see what you guys have in the pipe with regards to optimization.  Everything I've been hearing has been Adobe folks talking about "make AE faster".  It will be interesting to see how that's implemented.

Lastly, I can't help but think that the Proapps update still had some effect.  I was getting an Adobe QT32 server crash that cleared up once I switched in the old QT components.  I wish I could send the project files, but I'm under an NDA.  I'll see what I can do to sus things out.  It may just be these specific comps.  I also have a mind to downgrade back to Mountain Lion.

Thanks again!

• 12. Re: Do not update Proapps Quicktime Codecs 1.0.4 on Mavericks
                                George E. Kennedy, Jr. User Group Manager

Graham I've had this issue  for the past few days and here is my post on my findings and solution that worked for me until I can find a fix.  http://blog.gekjr.com/did-fcpx-101-update-break-prem-408485356-s0.html

• 13. Re: Do not update Proapps Quicktime Codecs 1.0.4 on Mavericks
                                  Graham Hutchins Level 1

Hey George,

Thanks for the response.

I've been contemplating uninstalling and reinstalling AE and Premiere since this episode, though it will probably have to wait until next week when my load lightens up a bit.  Too many plugins to reinstall to make it workable at the moment.