3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 27, 2014 12:51 PM by Jim_Simon

Enthusiasts Creative System Build Advice

sgoldsmith6

Hi All,

I am about to purchase a new system for Creative Content Creation with the main focus being 2D using Photoshop CC and Lightroom CC.

However, I'd also like to get into DSLR based video and the associated video editing (Premiere Pro CC), effects and composition (After Effects CC) and Colour Correction (Speedgrade CC). The system I am considering is a "self-build" and would consist of the following:

Intel Core i7 4930K (6 cores / 12 threads) (probably OC'd)

Asus X79 Deluxe 2011 Motherboard

32GB (4x8GB) Crucial DDR

*240GB Asus ROG Raidr Express PCIe SSD - Windows and Apps

*2 x 480GB Crucial M500 2.5" SSD (RAID 0) - Scratch / Media Files

*4 x 3TB Seagate SATA III 7200rpm HDDs (RAID 10) - Data / Source Files / Exports

*3GB Asus GTX 780Ti DirectCU II OC

*27" Dell U2713H 2560x1440 Monitor

750W Corsair RM Series Full Modular PSU

Corsair Obsidian 750D Case

Corsair H105 Hydro Series Heatsink

Various Noctua 120mm and 140mm fans

May questions are multiple (related to the *'d components):

1. The Dell Monitor is a 30 bit panel, I have a X-Rite i1 Display to calibrate it correctly, and I'm unsure of whether the associated GPU should be 10 bit capable (something that the Asus card is clearly not capable of). Is it worth it for photo and video work (I'm also aware of some of the current "issues" some have highlighted with CC products and 10 bit on Firepro cards)?

2. This leads me to the GPU as a whole. Is the 780Ti a good choice? I'm so torn between the sheer power the 780Ti (or any of the 700 series) will bring in any CUDA acceleration tasks compared to the stability / support / features (10 bit mainly from what I can see) that something like a Firepro W7000 (obviously less support within the app suite at the moment and only does OpenCL not CUDA) or a Quadro 4000. These "pro" cards are SOOO expensive when compared to the same silicon (albeit with the lower support / stability) in the consumer ranges! Help!?

3. Is the storage configuration good? Any better ideas / configurations?

I would love to have an input from you guys who have already built systems and know where it is best to spend the money! (The budget is roughly £3,750).

Thanks in advance.

Simon