1 2 Previous Next 50 Replies Latest reply on Jan 31, 2014 4:23 AM by ndanaylov

Importing 720p @ 25 frames makes audio and video out of sync

ndanaylov

Greetings,

I am trying to edit a video with Adobe Premiere Elements 12.

The video is at 720p @ 25 frames per second.

When I play the video on its own in VLC or media player the video plays perfectly fine.

The problem is that when I import and try to edit in Adobe Premiere Elements 12 the audio and the video go terribly out of sync.

How do I fix and/or avoid this issue?!

• 1. Re: Importing 720p @ 25 frames makes audio and video out of sync
          A.T. Romano Level 7

ndanaylov

What are you or the program setting as the project preset for this project.

Please check Edit Menu/Project Settings/General and let us know the readings for Editing Mode, Timebase, Frame Rate, and Pixel Aspect Ratio (even if they are grayed out).

What is the source of your video and what are its properties - video and audio compression, frame size, frame rate (variable or fixed), interlaced or progressive, file extension, pixel aspect ratio.

We could get into other areas, computer resources, video cards, and on and on. But, let us first rule in or out the prime candidates for causing this issue and then we can plan further troubleshooting strategy accordingly.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: Importing 720p @ 25 frames makes audio and video out of sync
            ndanaylov Level 1

Here are my preset project settings - see attached capture!preset project settings.JPG

• 3. Re: Importing 720p @ 25 frames makes audio and video out of sync
              ndanaylov Level 1

The video is a skype recording via SuperTinTin. Here are its properties: video properties.JPG

• 4. Re: Importing 720p @ 25 frames makes audio and video out of sync
                ndanaylov Level 1

I suspect that the issue is stemming from the default project settings - how do I change thouse to 720HD 25p?!

• 5. Re: Importing 720p @ 25 frames makes audio and video out of sync
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Ndanaylov,

It appears that your Project is set to 1080i @ 29.97 FPS, and your source is 720 @ 24.98 FPS. That mis-match can cause issues.

As a test, I would create a New Project for 720 @ 24.98/25 FPS, Import one of the Sykpe files into that, and see if the sync is now better.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Importing 720p @ 25 frames makes audio and video out of sync
                    ndanaylov Level 1

I get that very well Bill,

The problem is that I don't know how to create a new project with the above specs...

Thanks for your help!

• 7. Re: Importing 720p @ 25 frames makes audio and video out of sync
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

From the Weclome screen, choose New Project. When that opens, immediately go to File>New Project, and choose the 720p PAL HD option. I would also check Force Setting, rather than trust PrE to make that choice, or change it for you, since you know the characteristics of the video file.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: Importing 720p @ 25 frames makes audio and video out of sync
                        ndanaylov Level 1

I tried doing that Bill and changed the settings a million times to pretty much everyone with 720 and 25 or 24 frames. Still the audio and video are totally out of sync when I import the file...

• 9. Re: Importing 720p @ 25 frames makes audio and video out of sync
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

ndanaylov

Just starting my day and have just seen the communications between you and Hunt.

You definitely have a mismatch between project preset and the properties of your source media. The program is giving you its default project preset instead of the one more appropriate for your source media which appear to be

1280 x 720 @ 24.98 progressive frames per second

I have not seen 24.98 as a frame rate unless the recording is using a variable frame rate.

The typical for a constant frame rate would be 23.97 or 24.00.

So, I see that as two issues, correct project preset and use of a source with a variable frame rate.

If we were dealing with just a video with a fixed frame rate 23.97/24.00, then set the project preset manually to the following:

PAL

AVCHD

AVCHD LITE 720p24

But, I would ask "Is your audio Stereo (2 channels) or 5.1 channel)?"

Premiere Elements does not have a "AVCHD LITE 720p24 5.1 channel" project preset, but if necessary I can tell you step by step how to create one.

I have not run into problems with out of sync audio with iPhone 5 and iPod Touch 4th generation footage (each using variable frame rate). Others have. We had a recent post from Italy on this matter. The user posted a link to the problem video and I confirm the out of sync audio. His solution was to change the variable to a constant frame rate using Handbrake. Others have suggested QuickTime Pro in this type of "fix". It is hoped that the video now with the fixed frame rate will import into Premiere Elements (with the correct project preset) without any out of sync audio problems.

But before adjusting to constant frame rate, let us look more closely at the project set with considerations as cited in this post.

If you want to post a link to a Dropbox sample of the problem video, I would offer to look at it in my Premiere Elements.

Thanks.

ATR

• 10. Re: Importing 720p @ 25 frames makes audio and video out of sync
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

ndanaylov

A just in case note to my prior post numbered 9 - regarding checking out project preset considerations to the fullest....

To set the project preset manually....

Open a new project

Go to File Menu/New/Project

Change the project preset to PAL AVCHD AVCHD LITE 720p24

Before exiting the final dialog, make sure to place a check mark next to "Force Selected Project Setting on This Project".

Then back in the Premiere Elements Expert workspace, import your video into the project with Add Media/Files and Folders/Project Assets - Timeline.

Do you have an orange line at the top of the Timeline (above Video 1 where the content is)? If so render the Timeline by pressing the Enter key of the computer main keyboard or the Render button above the Timeline to get the best possible preview of what you have. This might be an answer...needs to be ruled in or out. Rendering can be time consuming but it is your window of opportunity to catch a problem or rule it in or out sooner than later.

ATR

• 11. Re: Importing 720p @ 25 frames makes audio and video out of sync
                              ndanaylov Level 1

Thanks very much for your help ATR,

I do not have a drop box account but can send you the files via Amazon S3 or via SkyDrive.

Would you be so kind to have a look if I upload the file so you can download it and see how I can edit it in Adobe Premiere Elements 12 without the audio and video going out of sync?!

• 12. Re: Importing 720p @ 25 frames makes audio and video out of sync
                                the_wine_snob Level 9

ATR,

I have not seen 24.98 as a frame rate unless the recording is using a variable frame rate.

That could be the issue. Some video screen-cap, and similar programs, DO record at Variable Frame-Rates, i.e. Variable FPS.

Good catch.

Hunt

• 13. Re: Importing 720p @ 25 frames makes audio and video out of sync
                                  ndanaylov Level 1

I tried this step by step ATR and it does not work - stil have the same issue. Should I uplaod it to SkyDrive or Amazon S3 so that you can have a look?!

• 14. Re: Importing 720p @ 25 frames makes audio and video out of sync
                                    A.T. Romano Level 7

ndanaylov

Yes. Please send a sample of the problem video.

I am used to the link to the Dropbox download, but have no experience on how to handle SkyDrive or Amazon S3. Is the SkyDrive the Google feature? I think that I am OK with that but I am not sure if file size will get in the way of successful handling of the file by SkyDrive.

Is it a matter of just clicking on your posted link for SkyDrive or Amazon S3?

Looing forward to taking a look at the problem file.

Thanks.

ATR

• 15. Re: Importing 720p @ 25 frames makes audio and video out of sync
                                      ndanaylov Level 1

OK friend,

Just go to https://s3.amazonaws.com/Nikola-Files/remote+camera.mp4

Then you can download the file and see that when you play it in VLC or Windows Media Player it plays totally fine with video and audio in sync. Then please import to edit in Adober Premiere Elements 12 and you will see the out-of-sync issue that I am struggling with.

Have a look and if and when you figure out how to resolve the problem please let me know and I will do my best to follow your instructions.

Thank you very much in advance!

• 16. Re: Importing 720p @ 25 frames makes audio and video out of sync
                                        nealeh Level 5

Weird! In PRE12 its around 4 seconds adrift. If you unlink Audio/video and shift the video 4 seconds plus a few frames to the right you can get it back into sync and it looks to stay there (using Preset PAL HDV 720p 25).

I haven't found a setting that doesn't require the timeline to be rendered.

Cheers,
                                        --
                                        Neale
                                        Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

If this post or another user's post resolves the original issue, please mark the posts as correct and/or helpful accordingly. This helps other users with similar trouble get answers to their questions quicker. Thanks.

• 17. Re: Importing 720p @ 25 frames makes audio and video out of sync
                                          ndanaylov Level 1

I am doing podcast episodes every week or so. Thus I need a permanent solution to the sync problem so that I know how I can resolve it quickly and efficiently after each and every recording.

Is that the best we've got so far?!

• 18. Re: Importing 720p @ 25 frames makes audio and video out of sync
                                            John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>video is a skype recording via SuperTinTin

Screen recordings cause problems for many people... one POSSIBLE solution is the free (open source) program and codec below

Free Open Source software http://camstudio.org/

-use with Lossless Lagarith http://forums.adobe.com/thread/875797

• 19. Re: Importing 720p @ 25 frames makes audio and video out of sync
                                              ndanaylov Level 1

SuperTinTin is NOT screen recording software John! It records the streams direct from Skype!!!

• 20. Re: Importing 720p @ 25 frames makes audio and video out of sync
                                                A.T. Romano Level 7

ndanaylov

Just saw your link for the sample download and am in the process of downloading the file and will give it a complete work out. The file size looks like about 757 MB so it will take about an hour more to get the whole download.

Looking forward to seeing what I can do with it.

More later.

ATR

• 21. Re: Importing 720p @ 25 frames makes audio and video out of sync
                                                  nealeh Level 5

I see from the SuperTinTin site that it says 'can be edited in Adobe Premiere'. Maybe Bill Hunt could try your file out in Premiere Pro and see if the sound is still out of sync. If it is then it's probably time for you to contact the SuperTinTin people.

Cheers,
                                                  --
                                                  Neale

If this post or another user's post resolves the original issue, please mark the posts as correct and/or helpful accordingly. This helps other users with similar trouble get answers to their questions quicker. Thanks.

• 22. Re: Importing 720p @ 25 frames makes audio and video out of sync
                                                    A.T. Romano Level 7

ndanaylov

Referencing back to your post 15...

I downloaded your .mp4 file

In MediaInfo, we find

Bad News

AVCHD.mp4

Video

1280 x 720 pixels

progressive frame rate, variable frame rate, but no values for any frame rate

bitrate is listed as 1200 Kbps and variable

Audio

MPEG-4 AAC LC

bitrate is listed as 128 Kbps and variable

2 channel

If you go to the gspot utility, the frame rate appears to be 0.962 frames per second.

If you take the file into Premiere Elements 12 or 11, it imports with excellent video and audio, but the video and audio are out of sync. If you check Interpret Footage, we learn that the program is interpreting the frame rate from the file as 24.9790 frames per second.

If you take this same file into Premiere Pro CS2, it fails to import at all. Message "Format Not Supported". This earlier version may be giving that message because AVCHD support may not have come to Premiere Pro until a much later version?

Better News

If I take the file into Windows Live Movie Maker, it imports successfully and the video and audio are in sync. The .wmv export from that program can be imported into Premiere Elements 12 with video and audio in sync.

I had a write up on preliminary results with Handbrake. At this point I am having far too many problems with it to report on its applicability in this instance. I do not know if QuickTime Pro would run into the same problems.

Miscelleaneous

Any chance you can control the recording settings so that you record with a fixed frame rate rather than a variable one. The discrepanies between the frame rate properties readouts between readout programs is disturbing.

More later.

ATR

• 23. Re: Importing 720p @ 25 frames makes audio and video out of sync
                                                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Neale,

I'm on it, and downloading the file, as I type - 35 mins. to go on download.

Will also report how things go for me, with both Premiere Pro and Premiere Elements.

More later,

Hunt

• 24. Re: Importing 720p @ 25 frames makes audio and video out of sync
                                                        the_wine_snob Level 9

ATR,

Thank you for that information. I feel that my results will be identical, but will test with Apple's QT Pro, to see how that works.

More later.

Hunt

• 25. Re: Importing 720p @ 25 frames makes audio and video out of sync
                                                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Hunt

What version of Premiere Pro do you have? It was my impression it is CS2. If so, do you have access to a later version? Can you confirm what version of Premiere Pro first supported AVCHD?

Handbrake and I first met yesterday. I get a great 30 sec HandBrake preview that works fine in Premiere Elements 12, video and audio in sycn after the Handbrake constant frame rate (24 fps) set for the export. But the master export is now giving me "not supported" in Premiere Elements 12. I need to figure out what that is all about.

I do not have QuickTime Pro at this time.

More later.

ATR

• 26. Re: Importing 720p @ 25 frames makes audio and video out of sync
                                                            the_wine_snob Level 9

ATR,

I have PrPro CS 2 and PrPro CS 6 installed. Full AVCHD support came with about CS 4.2 (or whatever the second update to CS 4 was).

I am still Exporting the file in QT Pro, with a fixed Frame-Rate, and when done, will try the file in PrPro CS 2 (expect the same issue that you observed) and PrPro CS 6. The QT Pro Export is taking quite a while, and I should probably have done a heavy Trim on the video first, but have begun the Export, so will let it run completely. Also, if the OOS is dynamic, i.e. it drifts more over time, having the full video will allow me to check for OOS, all the way to the end.

Will report,

Hunt

• 27. Re: Importing 720p @ 25 frames makes audio and video out of sync
                                                              A.T. Romano Level 7

Hunt,

Looking forward to your results.

So far the most productive route that I have found is via the free Windows Live Movie Maker conversion of the .mp4 to .wmv. But, even there, it took quite some time for Windows Live Movie Maker to "prepare" the video for import before it got into one of its projects for export.

And, that wmv export did display great video and audio (in sync) in Premiere Elements 12 Windows.

Still trying figure out why "go" with Handbrake previews and "no go" with Handbrake master export when import was tried into Premiere Elements.

ATR

• 28. Re: Importing 720p @ 25 frames makes audio and video out of sync
                                                                nealeh Level 5

I converted the first fifteen minutes with the free Format Factory using its default settings for AVC 720p, 24fps.

Imports perfectly to PRE12 and sound stays in sync throughout the full duration. PRE automatically derived project settings (no rendering line) are:

1.png

Cheers,
                                                                --
                                                                Neale

• 29. Re: Importing 720p @ 25 frames makes audio and video out of sync
                                                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

nealeh

Thanks for the news about the Format Factory results. What was the export, AVCHD.mp4? But, is there any reason why you are reporting on 15 minutes of the footage and not the full duration of the original .mp4 file (about an hour)?

Did you do that as a sampling of the Format Factory handling of the situation or because Format Factory could not handle more than 15 minutes of the hour plus original .mp4 file.

In my one and only success so far (Windows Live Movie Maker) to get an audio in sync version for Premiere Elements 12, the handling took in the hour plus of the original .mp4 file.

Still working on Handbrake to find out if my issues there are program or user (me) related.

It would be great if ndanaylov could record the video with alternative settings, including a constant instead of variable frame rate.

ATR

• 30. Re: Importing 720p @ 25 frames makes audio and video out of sync
                                                                    ndanaylov Level 1

Thanks for working through this tough problem guys - unfortunately SuperTinTin does not allow any control over the frame rates, though it is a feature that I have just proposed to them!

• 31. Re: Importing 720p @ 25 frames makes audio and video out of sync
                                                                      nealeh Level 5

I only did fifteen minutes out of expediency - not wanting to tie up my machine, which by today's standards is on the low spec side. It could have managed the whole file.

ndanaylov - I think we can reasonably presume that PRE does NOT handle the variable frame rates in the native SuperTinTin files, so if you intend to stay with both SuperTinTin as your recorder and PRE as your Editor you're going to need to put a file conversion step into your workflow.

While I didn't particularly like the User Interface of Format Factory, it seemed to do the job OK and I've seen it recommended elsewhere in this forum by an Adobe Staff member - give it a try.

Cheers,
                                                                      --
                                                                      Neale

• 32. Re: Importing 720p @ 25 frames makes audio and video out of sync
                                                                        ndanaylov Level 1

What export settigs to you recommend Nealeh?!

• 33. Re: Importing 720p @ 25 frames makes audio and video out of sync
                                                                          nealeh Level 5

I used AVC 720p @ 24fps and this imported to PRE perfectly without any need to render (that's as good as it gets for an initial import). There are other algorithms that use DIVX compression, but I suggest you avoid them, I don't think they'll edit well.

I think the framerate is the most critical of the parameters and you might want to try doing conversions of five minute chunks at different frame rates to see if they look any better to you than the 24fps - but stick to ones that PRE supports (you can see them in the New Project dialogs).

Cheers,
                                                                          --
                                                                          Neale

• 34. Re: Importing 720p @ 25 frames makes audio and video out of sync
                                                                            A.T. Romano Level 7

ndanaylov

Referring back to my post numbered 22 in which I related my report of Bad News and Better News - Audio Sync issue with your .mp4 and Premiere Elements 12.

The Better News - resolving the issue by converting the .mp4 file to the .wmv version with Windows Live Movie Maker. The free program HandBrake should also have worked for this purpose but I was not getting it to work

http://download.cnet.com/HandBrake/3000-2194_4-10808250.html

Well today I worked out the problem which was mine not the program's. I thought that the 100% in the progress bar at the bottom of the interface meant "conversion completed" which is not the case. I needed to wait for the "Queue Finished" before I had the whole converted end product. Before that revelation, I was getting video of limited duration that was giving me a format not supported message in Premiere Elements 12. Using HandBrake, it took a total of about 35 minutes to get the "right" converted end product for your 1 hours+ .mp4 that subsequently imported and worked in Premiere Elements 12 with audio video in sync.

If you do consider this free HandBrake for your converter, the basic steps/settings

Source/Open File/ then let the program do its scanning of the file.

Set for seconds 00:00:00 through 01:19:34 (total duration of your video in this case)

Picture Tab, leave settings as is.

Video Tab, Video Codec = H.264 (x.264), dot Constant, Framerate = 24.

Browse to Destination File location of your choice: name converted file that is to be saved at that location.

In the column at the far right of the interface, Normal was highlighted.

Hit the Start button at the top.

Time at start was 3:05 pm

Time when 100% seen in progress bar at bottom of interface was 3:19 pm

Time when "Queue Finished" was seen in progress bar at bottom of interface = 3:34 pm.

(end file had file size of 1 hour 19 minutes 34 seconds.

File could be imported into Premiere Elements 12 with 720p24 project presets, and the Timeline content even before rendering played back with video and audio in sync.

So it look like you have at least 2 free choices. I think that you need to purchase QuickTime Pro if you consider that program.

Looking forward on what works for you.

Thanks for the opportunity to view your problem video and to work with it to resolve an issue which is troublesome to all.

Thanks.

ATR

• 35. Re: Importing 720p @ 25 frames makes audio and video out of sync
                                                                              the_wine_snob Level 9

ATR,

Looking forward to your results.

Results are in:

Original MP4

PrE 11 - Imported fine, but OOS, and dynamic

PrPro CS 2 - Would not Import

PrPro CS 6 - Imported fine, but OOS, and dynamic

Converted to MOV w/H.264 in QT Pro PAL 25FPS

PrE 11 - Imported fine, with no sync issues

PrPro CS 6 - Imported fine, with no sync issues

Downside is that that QT Pro Export conversion took over 4 hours.

Hunt

• 36. Re: Importing 720p @ 25 frames makes audio and video out of sync
                                                                                A.T. Romano Level 7

ndanaylov

Just a note about Premiere Elements 12 project preset....

Version 12 takes control over setting the project preset based on the properties of the "first drag video" to the Timeline.

Sometimes it does it OK, sometimes not. If not, then you set the project preset manually yourself before you import the video.

In the case of the AVCHD (H.264).mp4 HandBrake converted product (1280 x 720 @ 24 progressive frames per second), the program is setting the correct project preset. And, for the video that you presented for study, it is

DSLR

720p

DSLR 720p24

There is no orange line over the converted .mp4 on the Timeline when the .mp4 is first dragged to the Timeline as the first drag there, implying that you are looking at the best possible preview before edit.

Please let us know if you need clarification on anything written.

Thank you.

ATR

• 37. Re: Importing 720p @ 25 frames makes audio and video out of sync
                                                                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Hunt,

Not sure why QuickTime Pro would take that long. Did you see my times for use of HandBrake (see post 34). The converted  AVCHD (H.264) was complete with about 35 minutes.

nealeh only took 15 minutes of the 1 hour plus video for the Format Factory evaluation.

In spite of that, it will be interesting to learn from nealeh how long it took to get the end product for just that 15 minute trim of the whole.

Based on my HandBrake introduction, it might be considered the prime candidate for these audio video out of sync issues related to variable frame rate

it is free

it is relatively quick

it produces the wanted end product

But more data on that as we build a database to support such considerations.

ATR

• 38. Re: Importing 720p @ 25 frames makes audio and video out of sync
                                                                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

In my case, I was using my old laptop, as the newer one was busy on another project, so I only had XP-Pro Quad-Core & 4GB RAM churning away on the 01:19 hour file.

Hunt

• 39. Re: Importing 720p @ 25 frames makes audio and video out of sync
                                                                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Hunt,

Do you have any time to run the .mp4 (01:19 hour file) QuickTime Pro conversion on your newer computer if you think that the 4 hour QuickTime conversion time on the other computer was just a computer resource matter.

ATR

1 2 Previous Next