• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

RH10 - WebHelp links to PDF files stop working when WebHelp is generated.

Explorer ,
Jan 27, 2014 Jan 27, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RH10- After generating to WebHelp links to PDF files do not work. If I preview the topic in RH, the file will open and display. RH Project reports no broken links. If I link to the file again, the file will import into RH and overwrite the file that exists already.  If I do a generate and view at my desktop, the hyperlinked files cannot be found.   If I do a Primary Layout view, the files cannot be found in FireFox. Had too many issues with IE10 so I stopped using it.

I have never had this happen before with any version of RoboHelp. Please help me.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jan 27, 2014 Jan 27, 2014

Ahhhh, you didn't say that this wasn't working after you copied the files to the server. That's an equine of an entirely different hue!

Okay, so if it's the WebHelp on the server you are having issues with, here is what to check.

Are the files you are linking to actually there? They may not be. This is what Baggage Files are for. You may need to add the files you are linking to, to the list of Baggage files so they are among the output.

If the files are indeed there, the server may be a UNIX flavor

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Not sure what version you used in the past but newer versions of RoboHelp have an option that is called "Mark Of The Web". Note that it's not really a "RoboHelp" option, per se, but an option one may employ with HTML content intended for viewing in IE. If it's enabled, links to things like PDF don't work when running the content locally off your hard drive. Put the same content on a web server where it's served via HTTP and things beign working.

Look at the SSL properties and click the Navigation section on the left side. Then ensure Mark Of The Web is not enabled.

Generate again and test.

Keep us posted on your outcome!

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mark of the Web was not enabled on the WebHelp properties. I will enable it and see if it will help on the server.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ahhhh, you didn't say that this wasn't working after you copied the files to the server. That's an equine of an entirely different hue!

Okay, so if it's the WebHelp on the server you are having issues with, here is what to check.

Are the files you are linking to actually there? They may not be. This is what Baggage Files are for. You may need to add the files you are linking to, to the list of Baggage files so they are among the output.

If the files are indeed there, the server may be a UNIX flavor. In that case you need to double check the naming conventions. If the file name is SomeFile.PdF and your link specifies SOMEFILE.PDF (or some other variation of case) the links will fail on a UNIX server because UNIX is extra persnickety about file names.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, and Mark Of The Web only affects local viewing in Microsoft Internet Explorer. So the setting is moot if you are viewing the content from the server.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That was the problem. Although it appeared that the files were transferring in, I couldn't see the actual baggage file. I fixed the problem by right-clicking and selecting NEW>Baggage File. Then I picked from the files that were in the RoboHelp Project files. The problem occured with all files that I had linked in while using RoboHelp 9. When I converted the files to RoboHelp 10 the PDF baggage files did not appear to come over with it.

Thank you so much for your quick response. You saved my bacon as I am doing a demo at 8 am tomorrow morning to an elite Physician / Health care committee at 8 am.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp