13 Replies Latest reply on Jan 30, 2014 9:39 AM by the_wine_snob

adobe photoshop 7 BACK TO 3 OR 4?

jane5

PROBABLY 10 YEARS AGO I INSTALLED AND USED PHOTOSHOP 3 OR 4 AND SUCCESSFULLY USED IT.  IN FACT MY PHOTOS WOULD LOAD DIRECTLY INTO ADOBE SO A COULD EDIT THEM IF NECESSARY.

I THEN PURCHASED ADOBE PHOTOSHOP 7 AND COULD NOT FIGURE OUT HOW TO WORK IT ABOUT FIVE OR SIX YEARS AGO.

I NOW HAVE THE TIME TO WORK WITH MY PHOTOS AGAIN AND WOULD LIKE TO TRANSFER BACK TO THE OLD PHOTOSHOP.

I AM UNABLE EVEN TO GET INTO THE PHOTOSHOP 7 TO TRY IT AGAIN.

PLEASE HELP.

• 1. Re: adobe photoshop 7 BACK TO 3 OR 4?
          Noel Carboni Level 8

10?  Try a full 20 years.  Photoshop 3.0 came out in 1994.

Seriously, you're probably not going to be able to recreate the golden times of the past unless you're still running Windows 95.  The ancient versions of Photoshop simply don't run on modern operating systems.

I suggest that you might want to look into the current Photoshop Elements product.  It's not terribly expensive and it has almost all the power of the modern full version of Photoshop, while still striving to be easy to use.

-Noel

• 2. Re: adobe photoshop 7 BACK TO 3 OR 4?
            jane5 Level 1

Noel,

Thank you so much for your response on my old photoshop----my how time

flies.

I do have a windows 8 computer now.

What is the current less expensive photoshop elements product that would be

fairly easy to use?

I need to do basic editing.  I would also like to do some distortions like

I used to do for my grandkids.

thank you for answering.

• 3. Re: adobe photoshop 7 BACK TO 3 OR 4?
              Oakley74 Level 1

There is no need to get the latest photoshop.....I have and use every day Photoshop 4.01,photoshop 5.5.photoshop 6.01 and Photoshop 7.01..They are fast and take up little space Great If you use Photoshop as a hobby, dont shoot in Raw......I use Windows 7 but Know they work also in windows 8... Good Luck

• 4. Re: adobe photoshop 7 BACK TO 3 OR 4?
                Noel Carboni Level 8

No problem.  As I mentioned before look into Photoshop Elements.  I think it's about a hundred bucks.

There are also alternative image editor products not made by Adobe, even some free, assuming you don't need really sophisticated stuff.  There's Paint.NET for example.  Even the freeware program IrfanView faciltates some quite basic editing such as brightening and color balancing.  I'm not sure what you mean by "distortions".

-Noel

• 5. Re: adobe photoshop 7 BACK TO 3 OR 4?
                  Noel Carboni Level 8

So, Oakley, you've got 4.01 to work on Windows 7?  That's the first I've heard anyone's got it to run there.  Keep in mind Windows 8 is a bit less compatible with old software.

That said, I've got Photoshop 6.0 running on Windows 8.1, but there's a specific problem with large disk drives with Photoshop 7.0 that gets in the way of it running on a modern system.

-Noel

• 6. Re: adobe photoshop 7 BACK TO 3 OR 4?
                    Oakley74 Level 1

I Collected all Photoshop 4 disks and opened them out into one folder on the desktop,located the EXE file and installed with no trouble .All of the 4.01 update did not go in as it stopped at the Kodak filters but the main files updated ok.I was surprised that I did not need to use compatabilty !!.......My main program is Photoshop 7 which was the best version of photoshop produced and Adobe just added and made things easier as the years went by As to to the large drives,well,thats where partitioning  comes into play,Ive never had a problem with that.

• 7. Re: adobe photoshop 7 BACK TO 3 OR 4?
                      jane5 Level 1

By distortions I mean when I change the photo image by manipulating it.

When I take it to the printer they print what I did but they call it NOISE.

Is Photoshop Elements different from Adobe Photoshop 7 or any other number?

• 8. Re: adobe photoshop 7 BACK TO 3 OR 4?
                        jane5 Level 1

By distortions I mean when I change the photo image by manipulating it.

When I give it to the printer, they print what I did but they call it NOISE.

Is Photoshop Elements different from Adobe Photoshop 7 or any other number?

• 9. Re: adobe photoshop 7 BACK TO 3 OR 4?
                          Noel Carboni Level 8

Your best bet would be to install Photoshop Elements and try it.  Adobe offers a 30 day free trial.  There are a lot of concepts that will be familiar to you if you once used Photoshop 7, and there will be some new stuff.

Go through the Products link on Adobe's main page to find it.

-Noel

• 10. Re: adobe photoshop 7 BACK TO 3 OR 4?
                            jane5 Level 1

After researching today and reading your suggestion again, I think I will

try photoshop elements.  Does it matter if I order it from Adobe or

Amazo?.  Amazon has a sale right now.

I also think this will give me the organization I used to have.

Thank you for your patience and knowledge.

linda

• 11. Re: adobe photoshop 7 BACK TO 3 OR 4?
                              Noel Carboni Level 8

I've always bought my Adobe software directly from Adobe.  There are benefits to that.  For example they offer the ability for you to download it again at some time in the future.  And you're sure not to get an illegitmate (pirated) copy - such things exist.

-Noel

• 13. Re: adobe photoshop 7 BACK TO 3 OR 4?
                                the_wine_snob Level 9

Jane,

Along the lines of Noel's advice (with which, I agree), if one does buy from Amazon (and I mean FROM Amazon, and not someone in their resellers list), I always go for the physical media, for archival purposes. If you do go with a download, from other than the Adobe Store, just be sure to burn all files to a DVD-Data disc, or at least Copy them to some very safe place, just in case you ever need them to Reinstall. Like Noel, I always buy from the Adobe Store, but then a sale is a sale - just be sure to archive any download files.

Good luck, and if you do go with Ps Elements, there is a very good, and highly active forum, just for that program: http://forums.adobe.com/community/photoshop_elements Lot of very helpful people there, who can get you up to speed with PsE.

Hunt