5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 29, 2014 2:10 PM by A.T. Romano

Projects from Premiere 3 to Premiere 12

garrysen

I have just started using PSE12 and Premiere Elements 12 having moved up from PSE5 and Premiere 3. I had a number of partially complete projects in Premiere 3 which do not seem to run on Premiere 12. I am now using Windows 7 on a 64 bit machine which doesn't want to allow me to finish the projects in Premiere 3 either. Has anyone any helpful suggestions.

Thanks

Garrysen

• 1. Re: Projects from Premiere 3 to Premiere 12
          A.T. Romano Level 7

garrysen

The classical recommendation is to finish a project in the program in which it was created. Especially with the dramatic changes between version 3.0/3.0.2 and 12, this recommendation  would be even more appropriate.

Do you have Premiere Elements 3.0/3.0.2 still installed on a computer? Have you tried to install Premiere Elements 3.0/3.0.2 on Windows 7 64 bit. It might be compatible with the Windows XP Mode of Windows 7 64 bit if you have downloaded and installed that Windows XP Mode.

I would not accept that it (3.0/3.0.2 project opening in 12) cannot be done in every or any instance, but it is worth the try with no expectation of success but with gratitude to the programs if it works.

Do you still have the source media of the 3.0/3.0.2 projects and just how far along are they?

Please update us on your progress.

• 2. Re: Projects from Premiere 3 to Premiere 12
            garrysen Level 1

Thank you. I have loaded Premiere 3 on the new machine and tried it in compatibity mode but without success. The elements load but the process stops there. Unfortunately Windows 7 Premium Home does not support a clone XP environment. I still have the old machine alive so if there is no alternative I'll just have to try on finish them there though I think it is underpowered for what I wanted to do.

Garrysen

• 3. Re: Projects from Premiere 3 to Premiere 12
              A.T. Romano Level 7

garrysen

Thanks for the further details.

When you are trying to install Premiere Elements 3.0 on Windows 7 64 bit, do you get to the point where you can then install the 3.0.2 Update so that you are working with 3.0/3.0.2 intead of just 3?

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=3565

I am not sure if it would work, but you could try the copy/paste insert of Premiere Elements and ClipMate

http://www.atr935.blogspot.com/2013/05/pe-clipmate-copypaste-between-pe.html

I have look at this scheme only for versions of Premiere Elements 7 through 12.

More later.

ATR

• 4. Re: Projects from Premiere 3 to Premiere 12
                garrysen Level 1

Thank you for your assistance.

Last night I checked to see if I had installed update.02 to Premiere 3 and found I had. However in looking through some other files in the Adobe folder - don't ask me where now, I found a window that asked if I wanted to run the file in Windows XP update 3. I chose yes and most of the problems resolved. I still have the task of locating some files that the catolog has lost track of during the movement of files from XP to Windows 7 but, though tedious, I can manage that.

Thanks once again.

Garrysen

• 5. Re: Projects from Premiere 3 to Premiere 12
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Garrysen

Your report sounded like great progress. Great job.

Especially since it is a difficult road at times making the jump from version 3 to 12, so many dramatic changes.

Please update us on your progress when you get a chance.

Best wishes

ATR