10 Replies Latest reply on Jun 22, 2016 1:19 PM by George_Johnson

What happened to my 'apply ink signature' tool in acrobat XI pro?

mike-acrobat

I recently upgraderd to XI pro so I could create pdf forms which could be filled out and signed with 'apply ink signature' in Reader.  I thought I had it figured out but now all my forms only seem to allow me to sign with my certificate.  The option to use 'apply ink signature'  is totally gone from all my menus.  I've tried Saving a Copy, I've tried creating a basic form with only a signature field on it and no other fancy stuff,  but to no avail.   Can someone help?

Thanks

mike

• 1. Re: What happened to my 'apply ink signature' tool in acrobat XI pro?
          George_Johnson MVP & Adobe Community Professional

The various e-signing tools won't be available if the document includes any digital signature fields, if it is Reader-enabled, or if it includes a button that is set up with a submit a form action. Do any of these things apply to your form?

• 2. Re: What happened to my 'apply ink signature' tool in acrobat XI pro?
            mike-acrobat Level 1

well acutally it did have a signature field.  Once I removed it i found I was able to apply a 'draw signature'.  I guess this is the new name for 'apply ink signature', is it?  I do not remeber these signature types being mutaually exclusive in previous versions, is that so? If this is so, is to insure that  from now on  'apply ink signatures' do not imply any importance so they are not misunderstood?

one last thing, doesnt the form have to be Reader enabled so other can sign it in Reader?

thanks

mike

• 3. Re: What happened to my 'apply ink signature' tool in acrobat XI pro?

Yes, it's the same as "apply ink signature". The e-signing tools were added to Reader/Acrobat to support Adobe's EchoSign (e-signing), which is entirely different the digital signing. There has been a good bit of refining of the UI since it was first introduced. I don't recall if they were mutually exclusive before, but it makes sense that they are now.

When a signed document is used with Adobe's EchoSign service, the e-signing tools can be used to create a legally binding e-signature, so they do play an important role.

A form needs to be Reader-enabled with Acrobat Pro or LiveCycle Reader Extensions in order for Reader to digitally sign it. It should not be Reader-enabled if it needs to be e-signed.

• 4. Re: What happened to my 'apply ink signature' tool in acrobat XI pro?
                mike-acrobat Level 1

Thanks that clears things up a lot

mike

• 5. Re: What happened to my 'apply ink signature' tool in acrobat XI pro?
                  brianw81860517

In my case, I have no digital signatures, I tried it with Reader enabled (this is needed if the user wants to save the document with the filled out information), tried it with reader disabled, and I do not have a submit form button.  When I attempt to use the free form draw feature or the apply ink signature feature I get the adobe message that my form has special features and I have to go to Print/Send to Adobe Printer/Save the form with a new name.  Then I am able to apply the drawn signature.  However, once I do that, the fillable fields are no longer fillable.  It's saved the document as a normal PDF and has become just a static sheet.

Now I clicked the "Don't show this message again" and all the options just stay greyed out.

How can I use the draw tool or the apply ink signature tool to a Fillable, Reader-Enabled document???  This is crazy that I can't find that option....I don't care about securing the document.  I just want the user to be able to fill it out in the field and get a signature!  I have hundreds of users all with Microsoft Surface tablets and I can't figure out how to allow them to have the ability to get an ink signature in the field....

Can anyone help????

• 6. Re: What happened to my 'apply ink signature' tool in acrobat XI pro?

Brianw,

What version of Reader are you testing with. Things have changes considerably with Reader and digital and e-signatires since my previous post here, so how things work depend on what version of Reader is being used. And do you know what version of Reader your users will be using?

• 7. Re: What happened to my 'apply ink signature' tool in acrobat XI pro?
                      brianw81860517 Level 1

I'm using Reader XI.  Most of my users will be doing the same.  Or opening them up in HTML..  I'm having the same problems with Adobe Acrobat Pro X and HTML as well.  I can't seem to get what I need using anything Adobe...  And unfortunately I'd have to rebuild everything in Bluebeam to get what I need.  But my users don't all have Bluebeam either...so I'm stuck! 

• 8. Re: What happened to my 'apply ink signature' tool in acrobat XI pro?

Reader 11 and DC is capable of saving non-enabled PDF forms, so Reader-enabling isn't necessarily required, and it will prevent forms from being e-signed. It's not clear to me what you mean by "...opening them up in HTML." If you mean in a browser, then it is likely that the built-in PDF viewer does not support e-signing. This is true of the built-in viewers for Chrome, Firefox's, and MS Edge. Users should open the form directly in Reader and they will be able to e-sign using Reader 11 and DC if the form is not Reader-enabled. Reader DC is able to sign Reader-enabled forms, but previous versions are not.

• 9. Re: What happened to my 'apply ink signature' tool in acrobat XI pro?
                          brianw81860517 Level 1

I'm not trying to e-sign either way.  I'm just trying to use an ink signature on my forms.  I want the user to be able to enter in data with the fillable form, AND manually sign it with their finger or a styles...but the draw feature nor the ink signature feature are allowed on a fillable form...I need a way to make it happen.. I've got over 100 different forms I'm trying to create with 100's of users and it's really jamming me up. 

And on a side note, if I don't 'Reader Enable' my form, I cannot save data entered on it using Adobe Reader XI...

I can send you one of the forms if you'd like to see for yourself...

• 10. Re: What happened to my 'apply ink signature' tool in acrobat XI pro?

I consider that to be e-signing, as something distinct from digitally signing.

If you created your forms with LiveCycle Designer, then you're right that Reader isn't able to save such non-enabled forms. But if the forms were created with Acrobat, Reader 11 and DC can save such non-enabled forms.

I'd be happy to take a look if you want to email me a sample: acroscript at gmail dot com