10 Replies Latest reply on Feb 15, 2014 6:52 AM by saraysounds

exporting a mpeg2 to burn onto a dvd

saraysounds Level 1

Hi,  I am using adobe premiere elements 8. 

Basically I have lots and lots of mp2t video files which I recorded with a full HD (1920 x1080) panasonic camera.  I need to burn them on a dvd  and I have tried several times in premiere elements but it produces an error code and can't complete. I've re installed the program several times and on different computers. 

So I thought after weeks of throwing dvd's away, maybe I could export the files in premiere elements to a MPEG 2 dvd file and then use a dvd authoring software like dvd maker. 

I would like to know what settings would get the best quality in adobe premiere elements on the advanced settings on the multiplexer and video settings?  I put the bit rate the highest it would go and the quality to the maximum. 

The other thing that has me completely puzzled is the aspect ratio.  Do I choose 4:3 or 16:9? 

I have tried to use video to dvd software in the past and all it does is stretches the image and doesn't give you an option to keep the original aspect ratio of the imported video.  I can't even find out what the aspect ratio is because when I import it into gspot it doesn't give me any information. 

any help would be appreciated.  

• 1. Re: exporting a mpeg2 to burn onto a dvd
          the_wine_snob Level 9

I do not have PrE 8, but you should be able to basically choose:

Computer

MPEG

Then NTSC (or PAL) DVD Standard, or Widescreen

As for whether you choose Standard 4:3, or Widescreen 16:9, will depend on your original media. From HD material, you would choose Widescreen 16:9.

Is that not working for you?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: exporting a mpeg2 to burn onto a dvd
            saraysounds Level 1

Hi Bill, I am still rendering.  It takes about 10 hours to render 45 minutes of video.  Yes I have chosen 16.9.  In the past when I have tried to do it this way the quality of video is awful.

This is why I have tried with other software programs, but they stretch the image, where as adobe premiere elements keeps the original aspect ratio. the only problem is the quality of the end result and the time it takes to render.  I just thought there might be a different setting I could use to get better quality videos from the HD, although I know they are compressed from 1920x1080 to dvd size resolution,

Is there any way to know what pixel ratio the hd file is?

thanks

• 4. Re: exporting a mpeg2 to burn onto a dvd
              saraysounds Level 1

thank you.

I also get black bars on each side of the video which aren't there when playing the original file.  I gather the black bars are put there so not to stretch the image in adobe, but isn't there an option that can match the original settings (pixel aspect ratio) of the imported video?

• 5. Re: exporting a mpeg2 to burn onto a dvd
                A.T. Romano Level 7

sarasounds

Could you post a screenshot of the error message that you are getting when you burn to DVD your video in Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1 or post word for word what it says? The rest of what I am about to write becomes meaningless without that information.

The basic drill with Premiere Elements 8 is

a. Do you have the automatic background rendering and AutoAnalzyer features turned Off?

b. Are you working from the 8.0.1 Update?

You say that your video is "Full HD 1920 x 1080". That could be interlaced or progressive. In your case of a DVD-VIDEO destination, your choices for project preset are:

a. NTSC/AVCHD/Full HD1080i30

and apply Field Options/Reverse Field Dominance to the video at the Timeline Level if interlaced video

OR

b. NTSC/Hard Disk Flash Memory Camcorders/HD 1080i30

For burn to DVD-VIDEO format on DVD disc....

Disc

DVD disc

with preset for NTSC_Widescreen_Dolby DVD (so you have a 16:9 source going to a 16:9 end product)

Many found that the resource demands of AVCHD (various sized project) were not met by Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1 and opted to convert the video to a less resource demanding format such as MPEG2 HD 1920 x 1080. Other means were explored as well (proxy methods and such). These considerations as they relate to later versions of Premiere Elements and operating systems can be discussed if applicable.

I would explore the above and burn to disc.

A better choice than export as MPEG2 file might be to burn to folder and then take the VIDEO_TS from the saved folder to DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc with a 3rd party software such as ImgBurn. Lots of possibilities.

More later once we find out the nature of the error messages associated with the burn to disc process.

Thanks.

ATR

• 6. Re: exporting a mpeg2 to burn onto a dvd
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

saraysounds

Please review by prior post.

The black borders are probably due to 16:9 source in a 4:3 export and other project settings which are correctable.

ATR

• 7. Re: exporting a mpeg2 to burn onto a dvd
                    saraysounds Level 1

I will try and burn a dvd direct and then save a jpeg of the error message.

I'm not using the adobe premiere elements 8,1 update

I have auto rendering on in the background. Do I need to have this ?

How do I find out if the Full hd video is progressive or interlaced?

I'm using PAL 1080I 25

to burn video to dvd you say a 16:9 source going to 16:9 product.  If the square pixels are 1.0 initially do they get changed when exporting to a mpeg 2 dvd?  The advanced options in elements just let you select 16:9 widescreen (1.458) there isn't another option.  I think my pixel aspect ratio is 1.0. 

If if exported as a mpeg2 HD 1920 x1080, I wouldn't be able to burn this on a dvd though

Lastly how to I burn to a folder and make a VIDEO_TS? 

thanks for your help

• 8. Re: exporting a mpeg2 to burn onto a dvd
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

saraysounds

Lifesavers, musts

I could never work with Premiere Elements 8 without

a. Automatic Background Rendering Off

Premiere Elements workspace Edit Menu/Preferences/General and the option there.

and

b. AutoAnalyzer Off

Elements Organizer 8 workspace Edit Menu/Preferences/AutoAnalzyer Options Off

and

c. Premiere Elements 8.0.1 Update installed.

https://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/thankyou.jsp?ftpID=4653&fileID=4342

Export to MPEG2.mpg File

If you want to take your Timeline content to a MPEG2.mpg file, then please look at

Computer

MPEG

with the preset = NTSC DVD Widescreen

(leave defaults)

I am not necessarily recommending that choice.

Burn to Folder

Share/Disc/DVD Folder (4.7 GB)

That put a folder on the hard drive at the location that you designate. In that folder is the OpenDVD Folder and the VIDEO_TS Folder. You want only the VIDEO_TS Folder to take into ImgBurn for the burn to DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc.

http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/burn_dvd_folder_imgburn.cfm

Ignore any mention of Audio_TS in the article, and watch out for unwanted downloads with ImgBurn (watch your download and install options closely)

Step by step instructions if necessary.

Please review and ask questions if you need clarification.

Thanks.

ATR

• 9. Re: exporting a mpeg2 to burn onto a dvd
                        saraysounds Level 1

I have turned AutoAnalyzer Off

The automatic background rendering was already turned off

I now have to install the update.

I rendered to copies - AVI and MPEG 2. 

MPEG 2 produces black vertical bars either side and if flickering constantly

mpeg2.JPG

AVI has black bars both vertically and horizontally and has a rippling effect when there is movement (dancing, handclapping)

avi.JPG

AVI settings were set at quality - 100%.  Field - upper first (same as original file), Square pixels 1.0 (same as original file) and render at maximum depth.  Its strange that for the mpeg 2 file I couldnt set the pixel aspect ratio but on AVI I could and the black lines are worse.  I'm really confused. 

Both have taken 8 hours each to render.  45 minutes video.  I will burn to a folder like you suggested.  Failing that, i'm not sure what do to about the black bars or the flickering and rippling. 

• 10. Re: exporting a mpeg2 to burn onto a dvd
                          saraysounds Level 1

Is there another program I can use to burn the folder PE uses to disk?  I have nero express but it only accepts iso images.  IMG burn doesn't always work with my projects. 

If exporting the file to a mpeg2 when do I choose interlaced or progressive.?

thanks again for all your help.