10 Replies Latest reply on Jan 30, 2014 10:46 AM by SJRiegel

Trying to set up a master page with a front and back; any suggestions

egbowen

I am trying to set up a master page for spec sheets.  They will have a front and back and there will need to be many different products using that master page.  any recommendations on best way to do this?  I can't seem to set a master page up with front and back.  Brand new to ID.  any help much appreciated

• 1. Re: Trying to set up a master page with a front and back; any suggestions
          HeyMikey Level 3

Hey EG,

Your default document has one Master A automatically. If you need a "back" page, simply create a new Master, and in the 'based on' field, make sure it is 'None' and name it anything you want. Apply the new Master to the document pages you want to be the backs of your spec sheets, and you're set. If you want the new Master to be based on Master A, then in the pull-down menu, choose that Master, and the new Master will have all elements of Master A, and you can then add new items to your new Master as well.

Cheers!

-Mikey

• 2. Re: Trying to set up a master page with a front and back; any suggestions
            DonnaMc

Another answer... If you are working a booklet or brochure that needs folios or other elements to be oposite side of a readers spread, make sure facing pages is checked when you create your new document (or go into document settings and check it) then place all common elements on the master pages. When using these masters the one on the right will always be the page 1  in your document.

Some people use single page masters to do this but on multi-page documents I find it faster and easier to make sure that the elements (ie. horizontal lines that cross over both pages) end up at the same x, y coordinates using facing pages masters

• 3. Re: Trying to set up a master page with a front and back; any suggestions
              egbowen Level 1

Thanks for responding!

What I am trying to do is create single page documents with information on the front and back.

There will be many of them for the variety of products we sell.  I am new to In Design and investigated further.  Maybe I should not use master pages??  Maybe links will accomplish this?

The template for the product sheet will be the same for all.  From time to time there is a piece of information on it that changes.  For example if the phone number changes, I would like to just be able to change it on all spec sheets easily with a push of the button.  I attached a PDF of one of the spec sheets I am referring to.

Thank you so much for your help!

• 4. Re: Trying to set up a master page with a front and back; any suggestions
                DonnaMc Level 1

If there is a template page then creating a master page seems like a good idea. When you pull those master pages down to the document you can add and change any of the elements. If you need to change any of the template items (like the phone number) you can change it on the master and all the pages that use that master will be changed ***

*** if you edit the item in  the actual document pages ('over riding' the master)  that item on that particular page will no longer be connected to the master page. This means any change made to the master will not carry through to that page. Whenever I change something on a master page I usually go though every page to make sure that the change has been made. Since we work shifts, I never know if someone else has gone in and "disconnected" anything from the masters.

• 6. Re: Trying to set up a master page with a front and back; any suggestions
                  egbowen Level 1

Hi Donna!

Thank you so much!  I am still struggling with basic setup.

I get the master page set up.  What I do not understand is the saving of the documents for each individual spec sheet.  For example page 1&2 will be saved as ‘widget 1’, page 2&3 will be saved as ‘widget 2’.

Also, I did a print screen (below), as you can see, I cannot seem to get a page 2 to line up next to page 1??

It appears it is making this document one long book?

Again, I truly appreciate any help.  I looked online….no luck!

cid:image001.png@01CF1DA9.933471C0

• 7. Re: Trying to set up a master page with a front and back; any suggestions
                    John Mensinger Adobe Community Professional & MVP

egbowen wrote:

What I do not understand is the saving of the documents for each individual spec sheet.  For example page 1&2 will be saved as ‘widget 1’, page 2&3 will be saved as ‘widget 2’.

Maybe I missed something. What I think you want:

2-page document

Master A applied to page 1; Widget 1 front page content added

Master B applied to page 2; Widget 1 back page content added

Save as Widget 1.indd

Widget 1 front page content altered to represent Widget 2 front page content

Widget 1 back page content altered to represent Widget 2 back page content

Save as Widget 2.indd

Repeat for each Widget

Why is there a page 3?

egbowen wrote:

Also, I did a print screen (below), as you can see, I cannot seem to get a page 2 to line up next to page 1??

cid:image001.png@01CF1DA9.933471C0

Cant see that. Attachments are disabled. To upload and display your screenshot, click the camera icon at the top of the editing window.

Not sure what you mean about page 2 lining up next to page 1.

• 8. Re: Trying to set up a master page with a front and back; any suggestions
                      egbowen Level 1

That is exactly what I want.

Page 3 is there only because I can’t seem to get a page 2 next to page 1!??

So sorry…please clarify:

The name ‘master spec 2014’ refers to the file that holds the master pages?

How do I select just page 1&2, or 3&4 to save them independently.  Furthermore, will they reside in the document  ‘master spec 2014’ or will it be a totally separate file that appears across the top of the work screen?

Again, tons of thanks!

• 9. Re: Trying to set up a master page with a front and back; any suggestions
                        egbowen Level 1

I played with this some more.  Because they( the set of 2 pages per spec sheet) are all saved as separate documents,  changes made in one document on the master page do not affect the unopened document.  Unless I am still missing something, maybe using links is my only option???

Thanks!

• 10. Re: Trying to set up a master page with a front and back; any suggestions
                          SJRiegel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

For a changeable master that updates on all your documents, my approach would be to make an 2-page InDesign doucment containing all the pieces that will be common to all doucments, and then place the InDesign document pages onto two master pages. This way, any updates made to the main InDesign doument will update in any document using it.

Going forward, I would have an InDesign template with the placed files on the master pages, and changable parts on the two document pages.

bty, I would not reccomend having the two pages side-by-side in your document if they will bleed off the edges.