7 Replies Latest reply on Jan 29, 2014 10:01 PM by A.T. Romano

DVD-BURNING ERRORS

tonebone Level 1

Hi  A. T. Romano,

I've been waiting for the more later, but in the mean while, I have been trying to work with the program.  I am in the make a DVD and I am having problems, such as, fail to render auto or audio levels, failed to return a video frame, and I believe it read transcending error.  It also read please save as soon as possible low in memory.

You had sent earlier-

The user is the one who places menu markers. So, just do not put a stop markers at the end of the last item on the Timeline and you will be OK. If you have that stop marker there, then right click it and delete it.

What do you mean by this?  I told the program to place markers every ten minutes, do you think this is too much?  It looks good on preview-especially when you view the select your scene.  I believe one render problem was audio, should I render audio in the edit mode? And, is there a way to tell the program to render audio only, while in the time line?

In the scene line should I group all the clips together or should I ungroup them?

Thank you.

tonebone

• 1. Re: DVD-BURNING ERRORS
          A.T. Romano Level 7

tonebone

Good to see your thread. This morning I saw an email notification about your posting at the Adobe Forums, but, when I went to open the email notification, there was nothing there.

I just saw your thread just now, and it is about 1 am where I am. First thing in the morning I need to go back and see where we left off and check out the details.

On my agenda to look into

In the scene line should I group all the clips together or should I ungroup them?

Group/Ungroup is an option in the Timeline workspace or the Expert workspace Clip Menu. How are you grouping or ungrouping in the scene line?

What kind of markers did you tell the program to set every ten minutes? Menu markers? Are you doing that through the automatic menu marker dialog?

That automatic feature would not place stop markers. So, if there are any stop markers on that Timeline, you would have had to place them manually yourself. So, you are saying no stop markers, especially at the end of the last item on the Timeline.

Are you toggling back and forth between Timeline Sceneline or Quick Expert or just working in one?

We need to check out the make up of that Timeline.

We will catch up to each other in the morning.

Once I find your other thread, I will cross reference it to the one that we are in now.

ATR

• 2. Re: DVD-BURNING ERRORS
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Tonebone,

For the error "Failure to Return Video Frame," a most likely cause is that you have a gap in the Video Track, which is uncovered by any other Video (Audio does not count here). To eliminate that error, I would search the Video Track(s) for any uncovered gaps.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: DVD-BURNING ERRORS
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Also, here is a Tips & Tricks article on Transcoding errors, in general: http://forums.adobe.com/message/3505831#3505831

And, in case you have encountered it, "Failure Compiling Movie."

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: DVD-BURNING ERRORS
                tonebone Level 1

When I post to the reply I thought it was not the correct way to do it, so I removed it and made a new title.

Group/Ungroup is an option in the Timeline workspace or the Expert workspace Clip Menu. How are you grouping or ungrouping in the scene line?

I am grouping in the scene line-don't know how to group in the time line.

What kind of markers did you tell the program to set every ten minutes? Menu markers? Are you doing that through the automatic menu marker dialog?

I used the automatic menu maker dialog.

That automatic feature would not place stop markers. So, if there are any stop markers on that Timeline, you would have had to place them manually yourself. So, you are saying no stop markers, especially at the end of the last item on the Timeline.

I guess I do not know the difference between markers.  I am having a hard time selecting to trim, paste, etc.; it is as though I do not know anything. When rendering in the edit mode of the time line I took the marking that look like a flag on one end and dragged the other end to the desired time line and, then, asked it to render.  This took a long time because of the probably like of memory-I continued to get errors.

Are you toggling back and forth between Timeline Sceneline or Quick Expert or just working in one?

Yes, between Timeline and Scene line, but doing the work in Timeline.

Thanks

tonebone

• 5. Re: DVD-BURNING ERRORS
                  tonebone Level 1

Bill,

Back in 2011 you mentioned this:

To counter this, and to also address some other issues, I end each Timeline with 02 sec. of Black Video, and always end my Audio, within that Black Video Clip. As there is a difference in block size between some Transcoded Audio, and the accompanying Video, this also eliminates the possibility that the Audio file will have a very slight difference in Duration.

How would I be able to do this?  Because, I am having problems trimming, cutting, etc.

Thanks

tonebone.

• 6. Re: DVD-BURNING ERRORS
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Tonebone,

Not sure how it will help with the Trimming issue, but to create Black Video, one would go to the Assets Panel, and under New, choose Black Video. That will create a synthetic Video Clip, that is all black, and at the Duration set in Edit>Preferences>General>Stills Duration - probably 05 sec. unless the default has been changed. Then, after this Black Video has been created, I would Dbl-click on it, to Open it in the Source Monitor, which should appear on-screen. There, just set the Out Point to 02 Sec.. You can close the Source Monitor, and now drag that 02 sec. Black Video to, say the end of the Clips on the Timeline. I add a Dip-to-Black between my last Video Clip, and the Black Video.

Now, the "block size difference" should not affect you, as one is Transcoding the full Timeline, when one is authoring a DVD. That block size difference can show up, when one Exports/Shares/Publishes the Timeline as two separate and discrete files - one for the Video Stream and the Audio Stream, to be authoring in another program, like Adobe Encore. Many full-featured authoring programs work best with non-Muxed, elemental files. Others, like Sony's DVD Architect seem to work just fine with a Muxed MPEG DVD file, where both the Audio and Video Streams are contained in one file.

Going back to the Black Video, I find that starting with Black Video, and ending with Black Video, can help get past any "black flashes" in a DVD-Video, where the laser has to seek to a new location on the disc - those black flashes happen during times when the Black Video is on-screen, so are not seen by the viewer.

I also use Black Video to basically extend the Duration of a pair Dip-to-Black Transition, to visually indicate that more time has passed.

Good luck, and hope that explains the process. Please let us know if it is useful to you, for the edits that you are doing.

Hunt

• 7. Re: DVD-BURNING ERRORS
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

tonebone

A little late, but I have now finished going over where we have been in your prior thread. There are still gaps in the communications the need to be filled since they relate to current issues that you have.

Computer Resources

In all that I have read, I see that you went from Premiere Elements 3.0/3.0.2 to 12. But I could find no mention of the computer that you are running 12 on. That is important for resource reasons. Unless Premiere Elements 12 is specifically on Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit, it is going to be a 32 bit application running either in 32 bit system or 32 bit compatibility mode of a 64 bit system. The 32 bit system limits the supported installed RAM to 4 GB of which typically 3.2 to 3.0 GB or less of that are available. So, immediate questions become

a. What computer operating system are you running your Premiere Elements 12 program on?

b. How much installed RAM does the computer with Premiere Elements 12 have?

c. How much free hard drive space does your computer have? And, do you have a supplemental drive external or internal for storage of the preview files, conformed audio, and conformed video files?

d. What are the formats for what you have on the Premiere Elements Timeline, since certain formats can drag the situation to Low Memory Messages? What is the size of this project as reflected in Space Required and Bitrate in the burn dialog Quality area when you get to burn to with your DVD disc in the DVD burner drive?

Individual Techniques Issues

Group and Ungrouping.

You are going to have to give me a step by step of how you are grouping ungroups clips in the Quick workspace of Premiere Elements 12. I just do not see it possible. You can select all your clips for grouping there, no problem. But, when you go to the Clip Menu/, the only option there is "Remove Effects", no Group and Ungroup commands or anything else. I see Group and Upgroup as options under the Clip Menu in the Expert workspace only. You should strongly consider staying in the Expert workspace...Quick has less options and, in Expert, easier to see what is going on. In Expert workspace Timeline, you select the clips that you want to group, go to the Clip Menu/Group. Or, you can right click anywhere in the selection clips and select Group or Ungroup from the pop menu. Have you used the interesting technique of selecting clips by drawing a rectangle around the clips with the mouse cursor. Nice when the clips are adjacent to one another.

Trimming

You say that you are having problems trimming - what and where? Do you have a large video clip that you want to split into smaller clips or are you just want to trim an edge from a Timeline clip? In the first case, you should get to know the Preview Window with its Set In and Set Out points. For minor Timeline trims, look at using the Scissors Tool which is now a tab on the stem of the Timeline Indicator (red stem with blue head). Keyboard shortcut for Scissors Tool is Ctrl + K. Please take a look at my blog post which goes into details on trimming large clip in the Preview Window with its Set In and Set Out points.

http://www.atr935.blogspot.com/2013/06/pe11-project-assets-organization-for.html

I am not sure how this "black video" factors into this, but your details on how you perceive your need for that might be helpful.

As for the pasting problems, what problems are you having there? Have you remembered to move the Timeline Indicator accordingly for the copy/paste and selecting the right Timeline components for a given action? If you give the specifics of what you are running into with trimming and paste, we will customize a reply on that.

Expansion of the Expert workspace Timeline and working in the Expert workspace are essential for troubleshooting possible irregularities in the Timeline content structure. Do you have many instances of video transitions between video clips? I do not think that we have gotten into it, but trimmed versus untrimmed clips could factor in at times in the  placement of these transitions.

Burn to DVD Problems

You wrote

I am in the make a DVD and I am having problems, such as, fail to render auto or audio levels, failed to return a video frame, and I believe it read transcending error.  It also read please save as soon as possible low in memory.

a. This is going to require a lot of detail from you and detective work identifying possible offending components of your Timeline structure. I think that the quickest way to communication on this is via screenshot. Can you post a screenshot of the entire Timeline content just before you head to disc menus and burn to?

b. What are the formats that you have on that Timeline? Do you have any DV AVI type, MotionJPEG.avi....?

Please review. We will be watching for your reply and respond to your specific situation.

Thanks for reading through the suggestions and comments.

ATR