8 Replies Latest reply on Feb 12, 2014 6:18 AM by MW Design

Export to XML from InDesign

Marsoni

Hi,

We are given an indesign file earlier, and recently there are many updated on it and also we were said to make the same changes in the XML file even, i was given a dtd along with it.

I Wanted to know if the file in indesign is completely updated, and i say export it in XML format, will the new data be tagged and also can i add the DTD for validation.

please let me know how can i do this.

Thanks

• 1. Re: Export to XML from InDesign
          pooja2087 Adobe Employee

Hi,

If the InDesign document is tagged i.e. xml structure is created by tagging individual page items and then if there are come changes made - addition of few more items for instance then they will have to be either autotagged or tagged manually for them to reflect in the xml structure pane. DTD can consequenlty be loaded in ID and exported along with the xml including it in the XML declaration.

For more details regarding XML export from InDesign, please refer the link: http://help.adobe.com/en_US/indesign/cs/using/WSa285fff53dea4f8617383751001ea8cb3f-6cd1a.h tml

Regards,

Pooja

• 2. Re: Export to XML from InDesign
            Marsoni Level 1

Hi Pooja,

There is no structure created, the files that i have are those created in InDesign, IDML files. Can this be converted to XML? when i tried one the output was.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes" ?>

<Root />

• 3. Re: Export to XML from InDesign
              Laubender Adobe Community Professional & MVP

@Marsoni – your output XML is the result of an untagged InDesign document.

No tagging, no XML contents…

Uwe

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Export to XML from InDesign
                Marsoni Level 1

Ok. Thanks for the solution. Can you please let me know how to make it tagged text? The files are basically created in InDesign directly.

• 5. Re: Export to XML from InDesign
                  MW Design Level 4

It takes a little bit of planning the tags, depending upon where the XML will be headed and its purpose.

In a nutshell, open the tags panel. Create the necessary tags. Apply those tags to your text.

To do that, highlight the text that should be applied a specific tag. Click once on the appropriate tag in the Tag panel. Make sure to turn on View Hidden Characters. Try to avoid selecting the paragraph return marker.

You'll now see the Tag brackets surrounding the text.

Mike

• 6. Re: Export to XML from InDesign
                    MW Design Level 4

Oh. One more thing. If you have the Structure Pane open, you will be able to view the XML you are building.

1 person found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: Export to XML from InDesign
                      Marsoni Level 1

Thanks for the solution @MW Design,

Basically i have 500 page book for which i need to do this tagging stuff, can this be automated, like in InDesign, if there is a heading, it should be centered and bolded, is there a way where i can create a tag and indesign applies to all the heading tags?

• 8. Re: Export to XML from InDesign
                        MW Design Level 4

The answer is yes. The degree of post-export clean-up will vary with how well you adhered to using paragraph styles judiciously and accurately enough to truly identify each paragraph type.

I have only used XML coming into ID. Never for exporting. One project I am working on is a directory. And I didn't use paragraph styles judiciously in how I would likely receive an XML file. So I just went through the ID document and created/applied some more styles to reflect how I would have received this as an XML file. For instance, the same style was applied to all the address lines, phone numbers and email addresses. So I created a few more styles and did a find & replace to apply those styles.

Next, I altered each paragraph style. In the paragraph Style options, the last entry is for Tagging. Really only meant for HTML and ePub export and does not physically apply XML tags. I simply used the paragraph style names for the Tagging.

Then I exported the publication as an HTML file (unchecking the use of CSS). Depending upon how well you assigned paragraph styles to your content, the HTML file produced needs editing.

For instance, beginning at the first line, you need to delete the entire content down through the end of the opening Body tag. Same at the bottom of the file from the end up to the closing body tag.

And you need to add as the first line:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes"?>

You will also need to create an Opening and closing tag that wraps the entire publication. Because of my publication structure, which is a 180 page contact book, the paragraph style for the beginning of each entry was named PrimaryContact. So right after the <?xml version... line above, I added the tag <Contacts> and at the very bottom of the file, the closing tag </Contacts>

Then I needed to add an opening and closing tag for each PrimaryContact. Now, the amount of information varies for each contact. But using a decent text editor, it was easy enough to do a search and replace to "wrap" each PrimaryContact entry with the tags <Contact> and </Contact>

This reply took longer to write than the actual work. It could probably be scripted, but like I said, I have not exported XML out of ID (other than to see what ID produces). And I started a new publication, imported my directory's paragraph styles, brought in this new XML with mapping tags to styles and everything laid out like the original.

Without actually seeing the publication, all I could do was the above. So while the particulars of your needs are different, the principles/procedures apply.

Take care, Mike