Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

RH11 upgrade: Popups in 'view' not working

New Here ,
Jan 29, 2014 Jan 29, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Wondering if anyone is having a similar issue.  I just upgraded from RH9 to RH11.  When using the 'view select topic' button (the glasses) the hyperlinks that go to another page are working fine, but pops are grayed out and not working.  They work fine in the generated .chm, so it is not a show-stopper in getting content to clients, but it is a hassle when wanting to verify everything works and looks good in the viewer before taking the time to compile.  Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Popups rely on DHTML. When upgrading, one thing to always consider trying is clicking Tools > Upgrade DHTML Effects in Topics (working from memory here and that may not read exactly as I typed it)

Give that a try and report back if it worked!

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the advice, but that did not work.  Standard DHTML dropdowns are working in the 'view', but not the hyperlink popup boxes.  (I also restarted RH just to make sure the DHTML upgrade stuck.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 28, 2014 Feb 28, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any other thoughts?  This is still not working for me after doing the DHTML upgrade.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 28, 2014 Feb 28, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Just as a quick test, if you create a brand new topic, then add a popup inside that topic, does THAT popup work?

Trying to determine whether it's an issue with an existing topic that has been upgraded from an earlier version or if it exists in an entirely new topic.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 03, 2014 Mar 03, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rick,

I tried a couple things:

• Added new topic (Test) and referenced as popop from existing topic = doesn't work
    • Changed it to a hyperlink = works
  • Added 2nd new topic (Test2) and referenced as popup from Test (i.e. both new topics) = doesn't work
    • Changed it to a hyperlink = works
  • Verified that hyperlinks are working in other topics (existing)

Again, this all works fine in the generated .chm file, just not within RH11 in the view screen.

Thanks again for your thoughts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 24, 2015 Sep 24, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey AURORAxmp,

Did you ever solve this issue.

I just upgraded projects fro RH9 to RH11 (under TFS source control) and have noticed the same irritating issue.

Do new (not upgraded) installations suffer the same issue?

Thanks,

Erik

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a known issue and has been around for quite some time. It is not consistent as it works on some computers but not on others. The only thing I can think of is that is has to do with IE security settings. But I haven't been able to pinpoint it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi William,

I doubt it has to do with IE security. On my old client running IE11 the viewer works in RH9 and not in RH11. I'll try to chat with Adobe tomorrow

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, this was never solved for me.  When I originally did the upgrade nothing else on my machine had changed.  I have since moved to newer IE versions but still have the issue.  It is so frustrating, as the viewer is a quick way to check things and we use a LOT of the pop-ups.  I recently grabbed the latest RHv11 (11.0.4.291) and still have the issue. 

Erik, let us know if Adobe has any feedback.  As you can see, I've been limping along for awhile now.  🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 11, 2015 Nov 11, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Erik,

Did you get any info from Adobe on this issue?

I am now finding that some of my pop-up boxes in the CHM file are also not sizing appropriately.  They are marked to auto-size.  Some do auto-size and some cut off the topic.  Does not seem to be dependent on the amount of text.  Just wondering if that might be a related issue.  I have not searched the forum yet for this secondary issue, but thought I would mention it.

Jonell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 12, 2015 Nov 12, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Aside from making sure you have all patches applied, have you tried adding an extra blank line or two at the end of the popups?

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 13, 2015 Nov 13, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the reply Peter.  Yes, I am up to date on patches.

I tried adding an extra blank line and that worked.  Although on one topic, adding one line showed all the text but still did not auto-size the box appropriately (wrapped text of last line...only three words), while two extra did the trick.

Does this give you some clue on what is going on?  Going through thousands of topics to find which ones are not auto-sizing appropriately and adding extra lines is not an acceptable solution.  (And still does not solve original issue of the View links still not working.)

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 15, 2015 Dec 15, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The viewing issue is down to RoboHelp's internal workings so sorry I cannot help you. As Willam has said, it was a known issue when upgrading to Rh10, see Item 16 in Using RoboHelp 10. I haven't seen lots of reports about it so it does seem to be project specific.

I could test the same project for you in RoboHelp 2015 if you are willing to share it. See the Contact page on my site and send the project as instructed there. Do make sure you include a link to this thread and please do not email the project direct. Alternatively you could download the trial but don't put it on your production PC.

As to adding blank lines, that's easy. Using the multi file find and replace you search for the body tag

</body>

and replace it with

<p>&#160;</p>

</body>

adding as many blank lines as you wish.

Do take a backup of the project before you start.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 08, 2015 Dec 08, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope nothing, sorry

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp