1 2 Previous Next 46 Replies Latest reply on Oct 20, 2015 11:39 AM by A.T. Romano

After adding naration, not able to play audio in Premiere Elements

miguelriddler

When I added naration to a project, I could no longer hear the audio with my video.  You can see the audio but you can't hear it.  How do I fix this?

• 1. Re: Audio
          Sandeep Singh Adobe Employee

Hi miguelriddler,

Thanks for posting on Adobe forums,

Please check your audio output setting for Premiere Elements 12 In Edit-Preferences.

2014-01-30_0129.png

Thanks,

Sandeep

• 2. Re: After adding naration, not able to play audio in Premiere Elements
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Also, if you're recording with a USB microphone, be sure to unplug the microphone before playing back your timeline.

• 3. Re: After adding naration, not able to play audio in Premiere Elements
              A.T. Romano Level 7

miguelriddler

What version of Premiere Elements are you using and on what computer operating system is it running?

You wrote

When I added naration to a project, I could no longer hear the audio with my video.  You can see the audio but you can't hear it.  How do I fix this?

Could you clarify what you wrote? Given you have video on Video Track 1 and its linked audio on Audio 1.

You add a narration to the Narration Track. What audio do you no longer hear

a. just the audio on Audio 1

b. just the narration on the Narration Track

c. both the audio on Audio 1 and on the Narration Track

Thanks.

ATR

• 4. Re: After adding naration, not able to play audio in Premiere Elements
                miguelriddler Level 1

I am using premiere elements 12.   I first placed a video on track one.  After the video I placed two still pictures on track one.  I could hear the audio at this point.  I wanted to and narration to the two still pictures.  I followed the narration instructions and used a microphone that is plugged into the mic plug in in the back of the computer.  After this you could only hear the narration. For some reason, the audio for the video still showed up on the audio for track on, but you couldn't not hear it.  I then deleted the narration, but I still could not hear the audio on track one.

A tech worked with me and we found a way to and narration using the sound recorder on my computer. However, you can not watch the sound recorder and the video together which makes it very hard to get the timing correct.

One more thing, I am using a Hewlett pacert computer that is one month old.

If you know how to fix this.....thank you.

Sent from my iPad

• 5. Re: After adding naration, not able to play audio in Premiere Elements
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

miguelriddler

Please excuse the questions but I do not want to take anything for granted.

Given you have video with linked audio on Video 1 and Audio 1 and right next to the video on VIdeo 1 you have 2 stills.

Where is the Timeline Indicator positioned by you immediately before you go to create your narration for the 2 stills.

After the Narration is created, where does the narration automatically appear on in the Narration track - directly under just the 2 stills or elsewhere?

Given you are at the stage where you find video on Video 1, audio on Audio 1 (No Sound), and narration on Narration track (With Sound)... now you go to the Tools Menu/Audio Mixer and click on it to open it.

With the Audio Mixer opened, watch Audio 1 and Narration in the Audio Mixer as you move the Timeline Indicator from left to right. When it passes through Audio 1, does Audio 1 in the Audio Mixer show 0 dB (and the mute button does not have a check mark)? When it passes through Narration, does Narration in the Audio Mixer show 0 dB (and the mute button does not have a check mark)?

Please check out those details if you have not already and then we will see if we spot any factors in all this that have not been explored.

Thanks.

ATR

• 6. Re: After adding naration, not able to play audio in Premiere Elements
                    miguelriddler Level 1

I put the timeline indicator at the stills.  The narration appears directly under the stills and does not overlap with the audio from the video. 

Sent from my iPad

• 7. Re: After adding naration, not able to play audio in Premiere Elements
                      My World

For some reason, that happens to me some times. I restart my computer and it starts working.

• 8. Re: After adding naration, not able to play audio in Premiere Elements
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Going back to the latter part of ATR's post #5, regarding the Audio Mixer, when you play the Timeline from the beginning, to you see the VU Meters for Audio Track 1 registering? Then, when the CTI (Current Time Indicator) reaches the Narration (below the two Still Images), does that also register in the VU Meters?

If you do not see the VU Meters responding, for that Audio Track 1 Clip(s), look below that Track, and determine whether you have a check in the Mute checkbox. You should not.

Please let us know what you see in the Audio Mixer, when you play the entire Timeline.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 9. Re: After adding naration, not able to play audio in Premiere Elements
                          djepie

Same problem here! Video based on about 500 clips almost ready, just adding two very short narration clips and from that very moment I can only hear narration and nomore audio tracks. Getting crazy!

Knipsel.JPG

• 10. Re: After adding naration, not able to play audio in Premiere Elements
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

djepie

What version of Premiere Elements are you working with and on what computer operating system is it running?

What is the total duration of the Timeline when you add your two very short narration clips.

Can we presume that these two very short narration clips are destined for underneath two stills on Video 1 where the 500 videos are also placed?

I tried to reproduce this on a limited Timeline and saw no problems with the program's audio, on Audio Tracks, Narration Track, or Soundtrack.

Any further details so that I could add them into my troubleshooting schemes?

Thanks.

ATR

• 11. Re: After adding naration, not able to play audio in Premiere Elements
                              My World Level 1

As I said, the only thing that I have had to do, in the situation, was to re-boot.

• 12. Re: After adding naration, not able to play audio in Premiere Elements
                                My World Level 1

I am now working with version 12. I have a two hour and ten minute video, cut into about15 clips.

• 13. Re: After adding naration, not able to play audio in Premiere Elements
                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

My World

In the morning, I will build a project as you describe to see if I can repeat your results with regard to the audio clips involved.

How are the photos position in relation to the 15 clips? Are using Video and Audio Fade In and Fade Out?

More later.

Thanks.

ATR

• 14. Re: After adding naration, not able to play audio in Premiere Elements
                                    djepie Level 1

I am using PRE12 and Windows 7 64bits.

Total duration 49 minutes. The narration is in the first half.

The narration clips are underneath videoclips, containing audio themselves, and ofcourse being part of the 500 videoclips are placed, together 49 minutes.

In PRE9 I never had this problem.

Fortunately I found a copy that doesn't have the narration and that performs well in playing audio. But that's a December copy.

I made a new copy of the problem video, deleted 95%, including all narration, created a flash video from it, but that one is still mute.

• 15. Re: After adding naration, not able to play audio in Premiere Elements
                                      My World Level 1

In my project, I've made a slide show in another program and used that video as a PIP, using the audio already in original video.

• 16. Re: After adding naration, not able to play audio in Premiere Elements
                                        My World Level 1

I'm lost. From what I can tell, it should work.

• 17. Re: After adding naration, not able to play audio in Premiere Elements
                                          retired2012

Hello Same situation.  Running Premier Elements 12.1 (build 20140225.12.1.620828).  Mac 10.8.5 3.2GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon.  Memory 12 GB 1088 MHz DDR3.  Premiere and the files are on a 1 TB Appled installed hard drive.  Everything was running as expected with some Narrations added to the .jpg photos and about 15 .mp4 videos.  The Audio tracks show the yellow lines and the vertical sound lines (squigly).  In "Mixer Options" the mutes are UNCHECKED.  the horiontal green bars light and move when I drag the TimeLine bar across the narrations but DO NOT move when panning the Audio 1 track.  My next step will probably the redownloading of the software, reentering the Serial number (Purchased), installing and then downloading the curent upgrade.

Retired2012

• 18. Re: After adding naration, not able to play audio in Premiere Elements
                                            A.T. Romano Level 7

miguelriddler

To this day, I have not been able to reproduce the Premiere Elements 12 issue where narration from the Narration Tool is silencing the Audio tracks and Soundtrack contents. Yet the frequency of reports of this problem appears to be increasing from the Premiere Elements 12 user.

Since I cannot reproduce the problem, I have not been able to work on trying to find a solution to this matter reported by others. So I am asking you and others who are having this problem to do the following as possible fix

1. Update Premiere Elements 12 to 12.1 from within the project's Help Menu/Update.

2. Then try a fix that worked for Llamadude99 and that she reported here on March 2, 2014. She wrote

"I was trying different things and I went to tools to narration. I removed the mute audio before recording, then deleted the narration I previously did and then pressed undo, to bring it back and my audio returned on my video. Very strange but it worked..."

Please let us know if this worked for you.

Thank you.

ATR

• 19. Re: After adding naration, not able to play audio in Premiere Elements
                                              retired2012 Level 1

Hello again

I opened the rendered.mov files stored in the folder for my project and they are STRIPPED of the audio.  I opened up the rendered videos in Quick Time 7 and enabled the "Movie Inspector" and "A/V Controls? and found that the audo was gone.  It looks like Premiere removed the audio when rendering the videos.

Any ideas from Adobe??

Retired202

• 20. Re: After adding naration, not able to play audio in Premiere Elements
                                                A.T. Romano Level 7

retired2012

This is not Adobe. This is a user to user Forum. If you need an answer to "Any ideas from Adobe?", then best contact Adobe via Adobe Chat while you still have the current version.

Could you please explain.

"I opened the rendered.mov files stored in the folder for my project and they were STRIPPED of audio."

Based on that description, did you open the Adobe Premiere Elements Previews Files Folder in the 12 Folder (Libraries/Documents/Adobe/Premiere Elements/12) and tried to play back your rendered files for your project somewhere? What type of project was it SD or HD? Where the files you looked at MPEG2.mpg or something else?

What happened if you tried to import one of these rendered files back into Premiere Elements 12.1. Did it import and was there no content in Audio 1 when you dragged the clip to the Expert workpspace Timeline?

If you went into your Media Cache Files Folders, were any of the conformed audio files wiped out also?

I note that you are working with Premiere Elements 12.1 Mac

ATR

• 21. Re: After adding naration, not able to play audio in Premiere Elements
                                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Retired2012,

The Render files are for Video playback, at its smoothest. They will not contain any Audio, but are Video-only.

PrE uses the CFA (Conformed Audio) files for the Audio.

Can you tell us what your desired intention is, regarding the Render files?

If you are looking to have output AV (Audio and Video) files, for full playback, outside of PrE, say in Apple's QT Player, then you will want to Publish+Share your Timeline to a multiplexed AV file, say an MP4, or a MOV file, which will contain both the Audio and Video Streams in one file.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 22. Re: After adding naration, not able to play audio in Premiere Elements
                                                    A.T. Romano Level 7

retired2012

The bottom line is that we await your clarification on "rendered.mov", and I write this additional post to put post content in context with one another.

Details

Hunt has made a good point in that preview files (often referred to as rendered files) do not come with the audio that might have been part of the video/audio file that you may have rendered on the program's Timeline to get the best possible preview of what you were seeing in the Edit area monitor. If you had a SD project going, the preview file would be DV AVI video (whether you had rendered a photo or a video at the Timeline level). If you had a HD project going, the preview file would be MPEG2.mpeg (whether you had rendered a photo or a video at the Timeline level). In the case of the MPEG2.mpeg that comes with a companion .xmp file with information on the .mpeg. Whether the project were SD or HD, the preview file that you generated from the project's Timeline would not have audio in its file.

When I replied to your question, I was not sure if you were using "rendered.mov" to refer to an export of your Timeline or one of these preview files, and my question sought to get that information from your answers to my questions.

Hope all is going well. Looking forward to your follow up.

Thank you.

ATR

• 23. Re: After adding naration, not able to play audio in Premiere Elements
                                                      retired2012 Level 1

The "rendered.mov" file was found in my Premier project folder and I tried to open it out of curiosity.  I have learned to stay with the app and all it can do and not exlore any of the individual files it generates.  I love to explore a program and learn all of its corners.  Adobe TV and Lynda.com are excellent.  I absolutely love the Premier Elements over the Final Cut Trial version and Apple's iMovie.  However, would you know if Adobe would take back my registration code on its Premier Elements app and apply some of my investment toward the purchase of the Premier Pro. I want to epand my video editing and production quality that includes the recent purchase of a Blue Yeti Microphone.  Thanks for your responses.

• 24. Re: After adding naration, not able to play audio in Premiere Elements
                                                        A.T. Romano Level 7

retired 2012

I admire your spirit of exploration and experimentation with Premiere Elements.

As I have mentioned we are not Adobe, just user to user, so I am not sure what Adobe allows or does not allow for changes from Premiere Elements to Premiere Pro. But, you could ask. For a start, you might try to contact Adobe via its Adobe Chat.

You would click on the following link, and, when it opens, click on "Still need help? Contact use." to bring up the Adobe Chat to discuss Orders, Refunds, and Exchanges.

http://helpx.adobe.com/contact.html?product=premiere-elements&topic=orders-refunds-and-exc hanges#

I would think that the important matters would be

a. did you purchase directly from Adobe

b. are you within 30 days of purchase of Premiere Elements 12 Mac?

And Premiere Pro CC is on a different purchase arrangement than Premiere Elements

But all that has to be gotten from Adobe who has the final say on this.

Best wishes

ATR

• 25. Re: After adding naration, not able to play audio in Premiere Elements
                                                          KeithDevlin

I have the same problem. Adding an narration kills the existing sound. If I record the narration on a different device, and then just add it to my project as an asset and put it manually into the narration track, it works fine -- I get narration and the original soundtrack, as required, and can adjust the levels as required.

• 26. Re: After adding naration, not able to play audio in Premiere Elements
                                                            A.T. Romano Level 7

keithdevlin

What version of Premiere Elements are you using and on what computer operating system is it running. I suspect Premiere Elements 12. (As an aside, if 12, please update 12 to 12.1 Update using an opened project's Help Menu/Update).

Back to the Narration Tool/narration issue....

Thank you for your report on your experience with this problem. Have you gotten the Llamadude99 fix or a modification there of to work for you when you use

the program's Narration Tool to create the narration for the project?

Thanks. Your report is appreciated by all.

ATR

• 27. Re: After adding naration, not able to play audio in Premiere Elements
                                                              JohnMinkara

I've had the same frustrating problem. Taken a while to work it out.

If you record narration with "Mute audio while recording" ticked (or checked), then all other tracks are permanently muted.

Uncheck this box while recording and all is OK.

It is a BUG that need fixing.

John Davis

• 28. Re: After adding naration, not able to play audio in Premiere Elements
                                                                A.T. Romano Level 7

John Davis

In what version of Premiere Elements are you running into this loss of audio on Soundtrack and numbered audio tracks when you add a narration clip from the program's Narration Tool to the Timeline? My guess is version 12. So far, it is the only version for which there are reports of it happening. And, is what I have described happening to you? Or do have a variation of the happening?

In about March 2014, Adobe released the 12.1 Update for version 12. Now a new version, 13, has been released. Based on history, it is highly unlikely that Adobe will provide an

update for 12.1 to correct this issue which is not seen by all.

It will be interesting to learn if any of the version 13 users encounter this problem.

Thanks for reporting your case.

ATR

• 29. Re: After adding naration, not able to play audio in Premiere Elements
                                                                  KeithDevlin Level 1

I am using PE 12 on a brand new MacBook Pro Retina display running OS 10.9.5.

• 30. Re: After adding naration, not able to play audio in Premiere Elements
                                                                    KeithDevlin Level 1

I did select the mute button while recording.

• 31. Re: After adding naration, not able to play audio in Premiere Elements
                                                                      JohnMinkara Level 1

ATR,

Version 12.0 on Win 8.1.

I bought it online mid Aug 2014.

I'm updating to 12.1 as 12.0 just crashed.

Maybe I should update to version 13

John Davis

• 32. Re: After adding naration, not able to play audio in Premiere Elements
                                                                        A.T. Romano Level 7

John Davis

Adobe has been doing a free move from 12 to 13, but I think it may be within 30 days of the release of Premiere Elements 13 (released September 24, 2014).

Has the 12.1 Update proven more stable for you? Is it the Premiere Elements 12 Editor or the Elements Organizer 12 that is crashing on you. I am OK once

Premiere Elements 12 is installed, but keeping the Elements Organizer 12 crashing is an ongoing challenges in spite of my home remedies of creating a new catalog and deleting the Elements Organizer 12 settings file.

If you are thinking version 13, please look at the tryout before purchase to assure its compatibility with your computer environment and project goals.

We will be watching for further developments.

Thanks.

ATR

• 33. Re: After adding naration, not able to play audio in Premiere Elements
                                                                          A.T. Romano Level 7

KeithDevlin

Thanks for the computer operating system and Premiere Elements 12 information.

Good information to have to try to keep track of this loss of audio with addition of Narration Tool's narration syndrome.

Thanks again.

ATR

• 34. Re: After adding naration, not able to play audio in Premiere Elements
                                                                            JohnMinkara Level 1

12.1 has just crashed after 1 hour of use.

Details belo:

John Davis

Asus 17" laptop, 250 GB SSD and one 1TB HDD

• 35. Re: After adding naration, not able to play audio in Premiere Elements
                                                                              A.T. Romano Level 7

JohnMinkara

Thanks for the update. Sorry the news was not better.

Let us see what we can do with more details of the Premiere Elements 12/12.1 workflow.

1. What was the size of the project when it crashed after 1 hour of use? Were you able to salvage anything major from the AutoSaves? Putting the AutoSave aside for the moment, could you reopen the project project file (project.prel) and start working on whatever might have been saved? At the time of the crash, how many files were on the Timeline, what types of edits had been completed? When the program crashed, what were you doing in

the project?

2. Did you install the program to the Local Disk C and is the SSD = Local Disk C?

Where are the Scratch Disks directed and how much free hard drive space is at those locations?

Let us take a look at the above and then we can determine if the details can point to the reason for the crash.

Thanks.

ATR

• 36. Re: After adding naration, not able to play audio in Premiere Elements
                                                                                Armando74

I have the same problem. This is what I notice.

I created another audio track and moved the narration there. No audio at all on playback.

I moved the soundtrack to the narration track and on playback I can only heard the soundtrack.

So the problem seems to be that once a narration is created, only the narration track can be heard.

I don't think this has anything to do with audio settings but a plain bug.

I keep having issue after issue with Premiere elements 12. I wonder if professionals has to be dealing with this problems all the time. I just want to make my Minecraft video :[

• 37. Re: After adding naration, not able to play audio in Premiere Elements
                                                                                  Armando74 Level 1

[RESOLVED]

1) Create a new audio track

2) Move your narration there

3) Create a new narration with the option "Mute audio while recording" unchecked

4) Recod anything, then click Done and then delete that narration.

Everything else should be un-muted now

• 38. Re: After adding naration, not able to play audio in Premiere Elements
                                                                                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Armando74

This is an older thread which seems to incorporate more than one discussion.

Results from a Google search and search for information on this issue in this forum might have expedited your path to a solution.

The loss of sound from the numbered audio tracks and/or soundtrack when narration is added with the program's

Narration Tool is an old story which is documented in several threads here as well as in the following blog post.

http://www.atr935.blogspot.com/2014/06/pe12-audio-losses-after-narration.html

Thank you for sharing what worked for you related to this particular Premiere Elements 12/12.1 issue in your specific

computer for your specific workflow. By the way, on what computer operating system do you have your Premiere Elements 12/12.1

running?

Have you installed the Premiere Elements 12.1 Update? If not, please do so using an opened project's Help Menu/Update. The

12.1 Update is not expected to help you with the Narration Tool narration issue, but does contain a fix for the Expert workspace text style issue.

ATR

• 39. Re: After adding naration, not able to play audio in Premiere Elements
                                                                                      tremely

This bug has been around since at least Premiere elements 7.  I teach a video class, and this problem appears on about 20% of the students' projects, on random computers.  We upgraded to elements 12, and the bug has not been fixed.

A workaround I've used is to create a few new audio tracks, and move all audio except the narration to the newly created tracks.  All existing audio tracks when the narration was created will now be broken.

1 2 Previous Next