3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 29, 2014 2:27 PM by Fred Matthews

AE CC Freezes when using Layers panel

Fred Matthews

Hello all,

I'm having an issue with the Layers panel, which is docked to my Comp panel, freezing my system whenever I try to click into any other panel. I can open a project, click on a layer to do some painting and then if I try to go back to the Comp panel...it freezes. My only solution is to open the Task Manager and shut down AE. If I save everything before I try to get out of the Layers panel then I am okay but that getting old fast.

I'm working on an hp Z420 Workstation. This system is entirely new as of December 2013 and there haven't been any major  issues but this has popped up and it's getting in the way of production.

Thanks,

Fred

• 1. Re: AE CC Freezes when using Layers panel
          Todd_Kopriva Level 8

Please provide answers to the questions here so that we have some more information and can have a better chance of helping you:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/961743

• 2. Re: AE CC Freezes when using Layers panel
            Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You might have just as well said "I just bought a new car, can someone tell me if it has leather seats?"

OS version and updates AE version, and some kind of detail about what is in the Layer Panel when it freezes. Otherwise we can only guess and my guess is that you have some incompatible footage in the layer panel or you're running out of memory, or your MP and memory settings are off, or your Disk Cache is full, or . . .

• 3. Re: AE CC Freezes when using Layers panel
              Fred Matthews Level 1

Running Windows 7 and AE6 is version 12.2.0.52 and I'm on the Cloud so it stays up to date.

We have two identical suites and we just tested the other one with the same results. The Layer window freezes AE whenever I dock it with the Comp window.  I can dock Layers with any other window and I can dock any other window with the Comp window and they work fine...but for some reason the Layer and Comp windows don't play nice together.

I have tested it in old projects, new projects, with footage, without footage, in my personal workspace, in the AE workspace options. I keep my system pretty clean when it comes to memory so that isn't an issue. Plus, the other system rarely ever runs AE so that nulifies the memory option.

Thanks,

Fred