8 Replies Latest reply on Jan 31, 2014 1:27 PM by A.T. Romano

Videos randomly only show blank green screen

NicoleSM Level 1

I have a Dell computer with Windows 7. I am using my iphone 4s to capture videos and then edit them in Adobe Premiere Elements 12.

What seems to be at random, I insert a video and only the audio works. Instead of seeing my video footage, I see a blank green screen.

I have tried to move that video around and changing applied effects to see if that will somehow restore the video. I have tried Smart Fix but that did nothing as well. I deleted the video from the program and tried to drop the file again but it still showed a blank green screen. I tried restarting the program but that did not change anything. I even tried uploading the video from my phone to my computer all over again but that did not change anything.

If I play the video on my computer through Quick Time Player or Windows Media Player (NOT with the Adobe PE 12 program) it plays fine. I play it on my phone and there are no problems either. The only problem is that randomly there are videos that will show a blank green screen in the program. What can I do to fix this?

I would genuinely appreciate any help offered!

-Nicole

• 1. Re: Videos randomly only show blank green screen
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Nicole,

Welcome to the forum.

With any Video display issues, the first thing that I investigate is the version of the video driver that I have installed, as the driver is a common cause for what you describe.

First, some questions about your Dell:

1. What is the make and model of your video card/chip?
          2. What is the installed version and date of your video driver?
          3. When you check the video card's/chip's Web site, is that the latest version for you model of card/chip, for your OS?

Now, one extra consideration is your Dell. Dell, HP, Lenovo, Toshiba and some other companies, will re-wrap an nVidia, or AMD/ATI video driver, for their specific card/chip. I would also check on the Dell Web site, and their Download page, to see if THEY offer a newer video driver.

Good luck, and let us know a bit more please.

Hunt

• 2. Re: Videos randomly only show blank green screen
            NicoleSM Level 1

Thanks for such a quick response!

I will try my best to answer your questions and give as much info as I can. Please bear with me as I do not consider myself to be tech savvy.

I have Windows 7 Home Premium laptop with a 64-bit Operating System.

Driver provider: Intel Corporation, Driver Date: 8/25/10, Driver Version: 8.15.10.2202, Digial Signer: Microsoft Windows Harware Compatibility Publisher

Chip type: Intel(R) HD Graphics (Corei3)

I checked Windows.microsoft.com and it says, "Note: Laptops don't have video cards. Laptops either have integrated graphics or a graphics processing unit (GPU) built into the computer in place of a video card." So I don't even know if I answered any of your questions.

Very confused,

Nicole

• 3. Re: Videos randomly only show blank green screen
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Nicole,

That is a good start.

The Intel i3 is your CPU (Central Processing Unit).

Your laptop will have a GPU (Graphics Processing Unit), and it will be a chip on the MoBo. It might also come from Intel, or come from nVidia, or AMD/ATI.

Probably the easiest way to get that information, plus the number and date of the video driver (not sure if the driver listed above is for the video, and if it is, would indicate an Intel GPU, probably in the 3000, or 4000 HD family), is to go to Start, then Run and type in "dxdiag" (without the " marks. Then look in the Display Tab. That will get all of the display information on your computer.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Videos randomly only show blank green screen
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Here is a look at the Dxdiag screen with the Display Tab shown:

Dxdiag_screen_01.png

As you can see, this laptop has an nVidia GPU, and the installed driver info is to the right.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Videos randomly only show blank green screen
                  NicoleSM Level 1

I took a screen shot using the snipping tool.

Video display.PNG

• 6. Re: Videos randomly only show blank green screen
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Nicole,

That is exactly the info needed, and thank you for posting the screen-cap.

Now, I am not the most qualified person to talk about the Intel GPU's and the available drivers, but I see that yours is going on 4 years old - that is "ancient" in the world of video drivers. I would check first on the Dell Web site, to see if they offer a newer video driver for that Intel GPU and your OS. If not, then I would go to the Intel Web site, and check their driver download page, again for a newer driver for that GPU and your OS.

The reason that I list the two possible sources in that order, Dell first, Intel second, is that, as I mentioned, Dell often re-wraps video drivers (and some other drivers), for their specific hardware, and OS versions. They would be my first choice. However, if they have done any re-wrapping, they might not have the latest, so that is why Intel would be my second stop.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Videos randomly only show blank green screen
                      NicoleSM Level 1

Thank you for your help! I will look into that.

Verry appreciative,

-Nicole

• 8. Re: Videos randomly only show blank green screen
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

NicoleSM

Do you find that these random videos with problems were shot with varying low lighting conditions?

The best I can tell you are probably shooting 1080p30 with your iPhone 4S.

Trying taking this problem video into the free HandBrake program and converting it to 1920 x 1080

at 30 frames per second, making sure that the frame rate setting is for Constant and not variable frame rate.

The codec set should be H.264.

http://handbrake.fr/

If you need any help with setting the program up, please let me know.

After the program's scanning of the video after being import into the program, it is very much straight forward with the key settings mentioned above.

Looking forward to your results.

Thanks.

ATR