22 Replies Latest reply on Jan 30, 2014 10:00 PM by A.T. Romano

XBox 1 and Blu Ray Disks

Michael Stehly Level 1

My grandson has an XBox 1.  It will play commercial Blu Ray disks.  I created a Blu Ray disk with Premiere Elements 12 of one his football games.  The XBOX 1 will not play the Blu Ray disk. 

• 1. Re: XBox 1 and Blu Ray Disks
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

As far as I know, burned discs are not REQUIRED to be played in any BluRay player... so some do, and some don't

Does your burned BluRay play in other players?

• 2. Re: XBox 1 and Blu Ray Disks
            A.T. Romano Level 7

Michael Stehly

Please check out the following online article on XBox One and Blu-ray

http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/apps/watch-bluray-dvd-movies

and determine if there is anything that will work for you in it.

What brand and type disc did you use for the Premere Elements 12 burn to Blu-ray? What

was the burn to Blu-ray preset?

As an offshoot of John's question, does your Premiere Elements 12 Blu-ray disc format on Blu-ray disc

play back

a. via a computer player

b. any standalone Blu-ray player

c. other

We will be watching for your progress.

Thanks.

ATR

• 3. Re: XBox 1 and Blu Ray Disks
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Michael,

John T. makes a good point, regarding the playing of any burned disc. Actually, no DVD, or BD player is certified to play ANY burned disc, whether DVD-Video, or BD, but most will.

I do not know about the X-Box units, but MS did pull support for playing DVD-Videos from Wndows Media Player, at a point in the past. They made a blanket assumption that any burned DVD-Video was a pirated commercial disc, which was very far from the truth. At a point, they relented, as a cottage industry of WMP DVD-Video plug-ins developed.

At a point in the Sony Playstation's life, Sony released an auto-download-install firmware update, to keep them from playing any burned BD, for about the same reasons that MS had used years before. There were lawsuits, but I do not know how those sorted out?

With Sony's near stranglehold on BD, I would not be surprised if they put pressure on some other companies, to do similar - provided they did not loose those lawsuits.

As a test, I would take that BD that you created, and play it on a BD player, hooked to a TV, to see if it plays, or if there is some issue with the disc itself.

Please report how that test goes, and maybe others will know specifically about X-Box units.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: XBox 1 and Blu Ray Disks
                A.T. Romano Level 7

Hunt

As a test, I would take that BD that you created, and play it on a BD player, hooked to a TV, to see if it plays, or if there is some issue with the disc itself.

Wouldn't you get helpful information about disc issues just by trying to playback the disc in a computer player (one that came with the Blu-ray burner)?

ATR

• 5. Re: XBox 1 and Blu Ray Disks
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Hunt

The XBox One document that I cited earlier in this thread says that the device supports only mastered Blu-ray discs and DVDs.

What is your interpretation and or knowledge of the concept of mastered Blu-ray discs and DVDs in this regard?

Are those alternative terms for store purchased movies?

Or is mastered another term for finalized disc?

ATR

• 6. Re: XBox 1 and Blu Ray Disks

As far as I know, mastered means a "glass master" created by a replication facility, to then "press" the "image" into "hot aka semi-liquid" plastic

• 7. Re: XBox 1 and Blu Ray Disks
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

John T. Smith

Thanks.

If that is the case and going on what the XBox One says about supporting only mastered Blu-ray discs and DVD discs, would you think that our homemade Blu-rays and DVDs should not be expected to play in XBox One?

I am not sure how liberally the word mastered is used, like in DVD for DVD-VIDEO and such. Any other information that you have on mastered as applied to these discs would be appreciated. My Googling was not turning up information that I sought on this.

ATR

• 8. Re: XBox 1 and Blu Ray Disks
                        Michael Stehly Level 1

The XBOX 1 web site states that it will not play homemade Blu-Rays disks.  However, my homemade DVD's play on  it.  I am going to experiment by publishing my AVCHD videos on a DVD disk.  I have a Sony and  Samsung Blu Ray player.  My Blu Ray disks play on both of  them.

• 9. Re: XBox 1 and Blu Ray Disks

>not sure how liberally the word mastered is used

In the context of what is REQUIRED to play on a DVD or BluRay player, there is only one definition of mastering

>My Googling was not turning up information

https://www.google.com/#q=dvd+glass+master

or

https://www.google.com/#q=blu-ray+glass+master

• 10. Re: XBox 1 and Blu Ray Disks
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

John

Thanks. I found all that before. I meant I was not turning up information that made me feel comfortable with a definition of mastering as it applied to this XBox One situation.

Let us see what Michael Stehly's exploration turns up, starting with his homemade DVDs being able to be played on this XBox One device.

Thanks again.

ATR

• 11. Re: XBox 1 and Blu Ray Disks
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

One could get useful info by testing on a computer, or with a BD player attached to a TV. It does not have to be only one, or the other.

Hunt

• 12. Re: XBox 1 and Blu Ray Disks
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

Hunt

I was just looking for the quickest way to get supportive information on this. Computer playback seemed quicker to me.

I never exclude a viable source of information.

Moving forward or backward in this case (backward to post 5), what is your take on my question to you in post 5 of this thread?

ATR

• 13. Re: XBox 1 and Blu Ray Disks
                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

I would say that my theory was born out, by the info that you posted. Sony has definitely had a war against any burned BD material, and MS has shown a propensity to fight against it too. MS believed that burned DVD-Videos were illegal, and were vehicles for copyright infringement - until they realized that they were loosing a lot of the market share, and money, and that there WAS a legit market for burned DVD-Videos. However, in my case, it was speculation, based on prior experiences, where you had a link that supported that case - ONLY commercially replicated BD's allowed. As we were typing at the same time, I did not have that info to backup my contentions.

To validate my speculation, I recommended a test, similar to what you proposed - something besides the X-Box.

Because of Sony's stance on anything BD, that does not come from them, I really wish that they had lost the BD vs HD-DVD-Video battle. I feel that many non-Sony studios would agree with me. Even with BD's potential, hey have effectively killed the format. Though inferior in many ways, DVD-Video is still accepted far more than BD - it has fallen far short of any projections, as a delivery medium, and most of that is thanks to Sony. They want total and exclusive control, and to be the only supplier of the medium. So far, they are failing, but that does not stop them from trying. I feel that they "killed the golden goose," and keep beating its dead body.

Hunt

• 14. Re: XBox 1 and Blu Ray Disks
                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

As I have about 6 BD players sitting around me, and as the OP is looking for a display on a TV, I opted for the BD player route, hooked to a TV.

Multi-drive BD burners/players, and especially the one used to create the BD, are more lenient than most BD players.

Just my thinking.

Hunt

• 15. Re: XBox 1 and Blu Ray Disks
                                      Michael Stehly Level 1

The AVCHD to DVD plays on the XBOX 1.

• 16. Re: XBox 1 and Blu Ray Disks
                                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Michael Stehly

Thanks for that interesting news.

Are you saying that the Premiere Elements 12 AVCHD burn to DVD and the DVD-VIDEO on DVD play on the XBox One, but not the Blu-ray disc format on Blu-ray disc from Premiere Elements 12?

If so, very interesting.

Do you have Blu-ray burn software that might have come with your Blu-ray burner to see if Blu-ray disc format on Blu-ray disc produced with it would also not play back on the XBox 1?

Thanks again for the update.

ATR

• 17. Re: XBox 1 and Blu Ray Disks

I am going to GUESS that your "AVCHD to DVD" disc played because it was written/burned by a DVD frequencey laser, not a BluRay laser

• 18. Re: XBox 1 and Blu Ray Disks
                                            A.T. Romano Level 7

Michael Stehly

I do not know if you said or were asked before, but what type of a burner are you using with Premiere Elements to produce your AVCHD on DVD disc. You do not need a Blu-ray burner for that AVCHD burn to DVD. So

a. DVD burner

or

b. Blu-ray/DVD burner

Thanks.

ATR

• 19. Re: XBox 1 and Blu Ray Disks
                                              Michael Stehly Level 1

The AVCHD to DVD and the DVD-VIDEO on DVD play on the XBOX 1.  The Blu-ray disc format will not play on the XBOX 1.  My burner is an LG BE14NU40.  The software that came with the burner is an old version of Cyberlink Power Producer.  I do not use it. 

• 20. Re: XBox 1 and Blu Ray Disks
                                                Michael Stehly Level 1

I do not know.

• 21. Re: XBox 1 and Blu Ray Disks
                                                  Michael Stehly Level 1

My LG burner is a combination Blu-ray and DVD burner.  I did not know that I could burn AVCHD to DVD on my internal DVD Burner.

• 22. Re: XBox 1 and Blu Ray Disks
                                                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Michael Stehly

That is one of the nice things about the burn to AVCHD DVD and Premiere Elements, you do not need a Blu-ray burner. A DVD burner will work. However, AVCHD DVD will typically not play on the DVD player, needs Blu-ray player that supports it or a computer player that supports it.

ATR