1 Reply Latest reply on Jan 30, 2014 11:15 AM by Joel Cherney

Problems with Turkish characters not displaying correctly

BM_VCA

A user is having problems with certain Turkish characters in particular fonts not displaying correctly (as shown below).

The two fonts (Gill Sans and Helvetica LT CondensedLight) are used for English language marketing material.  Ideally, for continuity, the same font would be preferred for our Turkish language marketing material rather than changing it to a similar font.

Capture.PNG

Helvetica LT CondensedLight

Turkish character “ İ ” does not display correctly in either Word or InDesign.

Gill Sans

Turkish characters “ ş ” and “ ğ ” display correctly in Word but not InDesign.

My questions are:

1. For Gill Sans, why are the characters not displaying in InDesign but are in Word?

2. I've noticed here: http://www.webtype.com/font/gill-sans-family/#glyphs-tab that the required characters are available within the Gill Sans font.  Is this because the font is newer and includes the additional characters?  Would this work in InDesign?

• 1. Re: Problems with Turkish characters not displaying correctly
          Joel Cherney Adobe Community Professional & MVP

One of the big differences between InDesign and Word is that Word will happily substitute glyphs without telling you. So, unless your installs of Word and of InDesign are using different versions of Gill Sans (which is possible, BTW) then your s-with-cedilla and your g-with-macron are actually not in Gill Sans but in some other font. I'm guessing Arial.

It's possible that you have more than one Gill Sans installed (e.g. one in your Document Fonts folder and another in your system fonts folder) that have different glyph complements. Gill Sans has been around a long time, and the version I have from the 90s has no Turkish support whatsoever.

As far as the capital-I-with-dot, you can check your glyph coverage in a variety of ways. In both InDesign and Word, you can open up a window that shows you all of the glyphs in a font. In InDesign, find it in Type -> Glyphs. In Word, it's called "Insert Symbol" and you can find it in Word 2010 by going to Insert -> Symbol -> More Symbols. I am guessing that the answer to this question is simply that your cut of Helvetica LT has no cap-I-with-dot. You'd need to pick a font that actually has support for Turkish. On WIndows, I use a very full-featured freebie called BabelMap to check font coverage. They have a Web version here:

http://www.babelstone.co.uk/Unicode/babelmap.html

but I personally prefer the downloadable .exe file.