7 Replies Latest reply on Jan 30, 2014 8:33 AM by the_wine_snob

1280 x 960

pquail

Does anyone know the closest preset in Premiere Elements 12 for 1280 x 960 footage at 47.95 fps? Can you create a custom preset? Apologies if this has been asked before, have scoured the forum with no luck. Thank you

• 1. Re: 1280 x 960
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

PrE does not allow one to directly create a "custom" Preset. The program offers several standard Video Frame Sizes, and Frame-Rates, and that is all. PrE's "big-brother," PrPro does allow custom Presets, just not PrE.

Now, some users have had success by creating a New Project, with similar characteristics, then hacking the PREL (the Project file) in a text, or XML editor, but there can be some issues, and one should know exactly what needs to be changed, and how.

For your material, a 1920 x 1080 @ 50i, is probably as close, as it gets.

However, just as with the hacked PREL, there will be compromises to be made, when it comes to the output of the Project. How do you plan on delivering the output from your Project?

Also, is this footage coming from a video screen-cap program, or something similar?

Will black bars around the output footage be acceptable?

Good luck, and let us know a bit more, please.

Hunt

• 2. Re: 1280 x 960
            pquail Level 1

Thank you so much Bill, this is exactly the information I need. You probably guessed it is GoPro video. Upgraded to 12 as heard that the programme handled the file automatically on opening which wasnn't quite my experience. Am mostly interested in preserving the quality and care less about the black bars. Will be used to upload to youtube and blu-ray disc. Much appreciate this and will let you know how I get on 

P

• 3. Re: 1280 x 960
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Thank you for the info.

Actually, I was thinking about some non-standard video, and not a GoPro. As the GoPro produces several different formats, with some models up to 4K footage, I am surprised at the dimensions of the Frame Size, that you have. Why was that chosen to begin with?

Most GoPros can record at 1920 x 1080 (a standard HD Frame Size). Why not use that, as PrE will be able to handle the footage perfectly.

For higher definition material, I have Imported and edited GoPro 2.7K footage, in a 1920 x 1080 Project. There was another step required, to use GoPro 4K footage, which was to convert it via the GoPro CineForm "converter," but then that worked fine too.

Have you looked into the other recording modes for your GoPro? That would be how I would address this, so as to not have a lot of hacking, or even the acceptance of black bars around the Frame. Keeping within the standards would be my first choice.

If you have already produced footage at 1280 x 960, you might get adequate results by Importing that into a standard 1920 x 1080 Project, then Scaling that footage UP to match. Though there will be a small loss in overall quality, with that Scale to Frame Size operation, the footage from the GoPro is quite good, and one may never even notice that it has been Scaled. Then, for subsequent shooting, just change the mode on the GoPro to 1920 x 1080.

Good luck, and please let us know if that is helpful.

Hunt

• 4. Re: 1280 x 960
                pquail Level 1

In regard to the frame size, I needed the verticality to capture high canyon walls/mountains from a canoe. In retrospect I could have got away with 1920x1080 16:9  ( there is a 1920x1440 4:3 setting but this is also not a preset in Elements). You have made me curious about using 2.7K footage which I had sworn off.

very helpful, thanks again

P

• 5. Re: 1280 x 960
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Ah, and thanks for the explanation for that Frame Size.

As the Aspect Ratio for the 2.7K footage will be 16:9, just like the 1920 x 1080 footage (unless one modifies things, with say a mask to get to something akin to Cinemascope, etc.), it should work fine. The processing power for the 2.7K footage is higher, for smooth playback and editing, but with a fast i7, with adequate RAM and fast HDD's, running a 64-bit OS, things should be smooth.

With the non-16:9 footage, there will be some pillarboxing, but for the subject matter that you describe, I do not know of any way around that, beyond shooting 16:9, and Tilting up to cover the vertical nature of the subject matter - that, or just shooting wider, but that will likely include material on either side of the vertical cliffs, that might not be wanted. Also, doing a smooth Tilt, or even Pan, from a canoe is not that easy!

Good luck, and please let us know how your Projects progress. Also, when done, please post a link, as I know that I would like to see that sort of scenery!!!!

Hunt

• 6. Re: 1280 x 960
                    pquail Level 1

Bill,

You've been a tremendous help, thank you. Have already used the modified preset you suggested on a sample clip and it's very close in quality. Will post a link when done

P

• 7. Re: 1280 x 960
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Great news, and please keep us updated.

Happy editing,

Hunt