9 Replies Latest reply on Feb 4, 2014 2:49 PM by A.T. Romano

premiere elements 12 problems on Windows 8.1

MrSpiffo

Premiere Elements 12 exhibits the following problems in Wndows 8.1 that do not show up in Windows 7.

1.     When you try to render the timelines, it stops anywhere from 2 seconds to 2 minutes into the program  You get the "Windows must close this application" message. Tried this multiple times without a fix.  Reinstalled the program with the same result. 

2.     Coming into the opening splash screen, I ask to go to a recent file.  The program opens up like a new project.  I have to use the file open dialog to open the file.

3.     When I play the timeline, it occasionally stops playing and I have to hit the play icon to keep it going.  

I tried shutting off indexing, which did not work and of course reinstalled the program.

I have elements on my desktop also, and it does not display any of these issues.  My laptop that has the problems has an I 4770 processor, 16GB of RAM and windows 8.1 64 bit.    (My desktop is an I5 with 8GB Ram and windows 7 64 bit.)

This is confusing and stops me from using my new laptop.  Does anyone have any ideas?

• 1. Re: premiere elements 12 problems on Windows 8.1
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

What is your exact brand/model graphics adapter (ATI or nVidia or ???)

What is your exact graphics adapter driver version?

Have you gone to the vendor web site to check for a newer driver?

For Windows, do NOT rely on Windows Update to have current driver information

-you need to go direct to the vendor web site and check updates for yourself

ATI Driver Autodetect http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/auto-detect-tool

nVidia Driver Downloads http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

• 2. Re: premiere elements 12 problems on Windows 8.1
            MrSpiffo Level 1

I have a nvidia Geoforce GT740M and uploaded the latest driver.  All three problems still remain.

Thanks for the suggestion.

• 4. Re: premiere elements 12 problems on Windows 8.1
              A.T. Romano Level 7

MrSpiffo

Once you have factored in or out the video card/graphic card factors involved if any, then let us consider the following:

I have Premiere Elements 12 on both Windows 7 and 8.1 64 bit (also for a time had it on Windows 8 64 bit). It works fine. So, I know that Premiere Elements 12 is compatible with Windows 8.1 64 bit operating system.

Any problems that I have had with Premiere Elements 12 were the same if the program was on Windows 7 64 bit or Windows 8 or 8.1 64 bit.

I had a terrible time with getting it installed and stabilized...the major things that I ran into included

a. 1 to 2 minute wait time related to File Menu/New/Project

b. 1 to 3 minutes wait time for the program to closed with or without a project save involved.

a. ccleaner run through (regular cleaner and registry cleaner part) to get rid of any possible leftovers from

uninstall/reinstall of program) may or may not have helped

c. Sign Out/uninstall/ccleaner/reinstall with antivirus and firewalls turned off did not help.

d. Right clicking the desktop icon, selecting Run As Administrator even when I was running the program from a User Account with Administrative Privileges may or may not have helped

e. Making sure to have the Scratch Disks directed to the same place and that place having enough free space to accept them (if an external hard drive is involved, rule in or out its contributions to any of your problems) may or may not have helped

Some may opt for disabling Start Up programs. That did not work for me.

Disabling antivirus and firewalls did not help me. HOWEVER, recently there have been dramatic problems with Premiere Elements that were resolved by disabling specifically the McAfee antivirus program in use. Are you using McAfee? Check that immediately if so. I never used McAfee. Could be a problem with a recent update of McAfee.

Did you use Premiere Elements 11 before this version 12. If not, we can go over the Welcome Screen and your use of it to open existing projects. When you select Existing Project are you next clicking on "Open" or the actual text of the name of your existing project?

You know that you can bypass the Welcome Screen so that the program opens to the Premiere Elements Editor

a. See Welcome Screen settings icon at the top of the Welcome Screen to set for Editor opening

b. Right click the desktop icon, select Properties, select Open File Location which should take you to the Adobe Premiere Elements 12.exe. At that location, find the Adobe Premiere Elements.exe file, create a desktop shortcut for it, and then use that desktop shortcut to open the program to the Editor.

Please review the above and then let us know if any of that applies to your situation.

Thank you.

ATR

• 5. Re: premiere elements 12 problems on Windows 8.1
                MrSpiffo Level 1

My laptop does have dual graphics adapters.  I disabled the Intel on the motherboard, but it did not do any good.  The rest of the info did not give me any direction with my particular problem.  Thanks for the suggestions;

• 6. Re: premiere elements 12 problems on Windows 8.1
                  MrSpiffo Level 1

AT,

I did not run into the same problems that you had.  I am not using McAfee, but am using kapersky .  Tried the run the program as an administrator and it did not help.  I am not using an external hard drive and the scratch drive is all set to the same as project on my large hard drive.  The problems I described seem to be related to the same issue, whatever that is.  I have now set to go directly into the editor, but the render issue is still there as well as the stopping during a playback, which I think might be because I cannot render which will smooth the playback.  Previously on the welcome screen, I clicked on the file I wanted, which sent me into a blank editor.  Initially, the rendering worked fine but after I put in about 20 minutes worth of video clips, it seemed to have problems.  I will try to start another project and see if I have the same problem.  If do not have this problem with a new project , I will begin to troubleshoot the project with the issue. 

I appreciate your ideas and solicit any more comments/suggestions you may have.

Thanks,

Mr Spiffo

• 7. Re: premiere elements 12 problems on Windows 8.1
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

MrSpiffo

Thanks for all those details which are excellent for troubleshooting strategy planning.

Let us see how you do with the new project.

Also, let us look at different source media (even if it has to be jpg photos) to see if your source media formats may be at issue here? What are the properties of your source media and what project preset are you or the project setting for the project based on the properties of those source media.

If you do not know the source media properties, maybe we can gather that information from knowing the brand, model, and setting for the camera that recorded the source media.

Thanks. Looking forward to your results.

ATR

• 8. Re: premiere elements 12 problems on Windows 8.1
                      MrSpiffo Level 1

AT,

The problem is with this project only.  I started a new project with the exact source media as the previous troubled project.  I added transitions where they were previously.  The problems seem to be project specific.   It may be a corrupted file or FX effect etc, that causes the problem  I was unable to remove the problems by removing transitions. 

Another project on a Windows 7 64bit computer has exhibited a strange problem.  Occasionally, when I use the autotone tool, it results in a white screen with some very small random color splotches.  When I hit reset, it goes back to the original tone.  This will continue until I restart the program.  I do not know the reason and do not think it would be worth troubleshooting the problem.  My various problems that occur have taught me to do the following:

1.       Save constantly.  It prevents a lot of rework if your program crashes.

2.       If the program does not act normally,  restart the program.

3.       If you have audio problems (audio cannot be heard, although you can see the waveforms), check youtube or music files to see if they have the same problem.  If they do, I have had good luck restarting my computer.

Problems with Premiere Elements diminish the pleasure I get using the program.  However, that may be part of the video software animal, since I have never had any program that did not have problems.  You tend to settle on the one that has the least amount of problems and is easiest to use.

Thanks for you help.

MrSpiffo

• 9. Re: premiere elements 12 problems on Windows 8.1
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

MrSpiffo

Thanks for the update. Glad for the good news that you have found the problem to be project specific. Sorry that there is a problem at all.

Have you seen the recent thread of Jerry Mann regarding his "Random Flashes" in this videos that he has traced to the Auto Tone and Vibrance feature of his Premiere Elements 10

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1396875?tstart=0

Hope the news is totally good next time.

Please let us know of your progress when you get the chance.

Thanks.

ATR