4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 6, 2014 12:18 PM by rob day

How do I add a bunch of lorem ipsum text to the InDesign spell check dictionary?

bettyx1138

When I spellcheck a huge doc w/ lots of lorem ipsum text spellcheck takes forever.

If I use only one certain block of loremipsum text that's in the spellecheck dictionary it wouldn't stop at those words every time. Can I do this? Thanks.

Using CS6.

• 1. Re: How do I add a bunch of lorem ipsum text to the InDesign spell check dictionary?
          Joel Cherney Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I don't know, but it seems like the wrong way to go about it to me. I'd just mark my lorem ipsom as "No Language" so that the spellcheck would skip it.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: How do I add a bunch of lorem ipsum text to the InDesign spell check dictionary?
            bettyx1138 Level 1

Ah, that's awesome thanks, Joel.

(I'd still love to see an indd feature in spellcheck "ignore placeholder text" that we've put in w/ the "Fill with placeholder text" feature... I shall submit that.)

• 3. Re: How do I add a bunch of lorem ipsum text to the InDesign spell check dictionary?
              rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I'd still love to see an indd feature in spellcheck "ignore placeholder text" that we've put in w/ the "Fill with placeholder text" feature... I shall submit that.

When you add place holder text there's nothing that distinguishes it from regular text, so it seems like a difficult feature to add.

You could script the adding of placeholder text and set the language of its text flow to No Language in the script.

Something like this AppleScript could have a key command (note that it sets no language to the entire textflow of the placeholder text frame):

tell application "Adobe InDesign CS6"

--the Placehoder text menu item

set lorem to item 1 of every menu action whose id is 119681

--check that there's an insertion point an fill with placeholder

try

set sel to class of selection

set c to {insertion point, character, word, paragraph, text}

if sel is in c then

invoke lorem

--set th

set applied language of parent story of selection to "[No Language]"

end if

end try

end tell

• 4. Re: How do I add a bunch of lorem ipsum text to the InDesign spell check dictionary?
                rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

This is a bit better, it will change the added place holder text to No language and leave other text in the frame alone:

tell application "Adobe InDesign CS6"

--the Placehoder text menu item

set lorem to item 1 of every menu action whose id is 119681

--check that there's an insertion point an fill with placeholder

try

set sel to class of selection

set c to {insertion point, character, word, paragraph, text}

if sel is in c then

--the starting insertion point of the placeholder

set myStart to index of last character of parent story of selection

invoke lorem

--the ending insertion point of the placeholder

set myEnd to index of last character of parent story of selection

--the added placeholder

set myLorem to object reference of text from character myStart to character myEnd of parent story of selection

set applied language of every word of myLorem to "[No Language]"

end if

end try

end tell