8 Replies Latest reply on Jan 30, 2014 2:14 PM by KenKollar

System fonts

KenKollar

Is there a way to keep system fonts from being used n InDesign? To not show up in the pulldown?

• 1. Re: System fonts
          BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

What version of ID? CC allows you to create favorites.

• 2. Re: System fonts
            KenKollar Level 1

Im currently using cs5.5 - We cannot use cc

• 3. Re: System fonts

Then you cannot do anything with the font list.

• 4. Re: System fonts
                KenKollar Level 1

One would think there would or should be a preference for this. It would keep people from using fonts that truely may not belong to them - which last I checked - is kind of a big deal. Is it something that may be fixed in the future for InDesign?We will be going to cs6 soon, and would love to see this maybe put in the works for a patch or something. I am really surprised this has not come up before.

• 5. Re: System fonts

There is a preference for it…In InDesign CC.

I’m sorry but there’s just no way to disable the appearance of fonts in any version of InDesign earlier than that and CS6 while still being sold is feature complete and will not see anything but fixes for serious bugs.

• 6. Re: System fonts
                    KenKollar Level 1

Do Font audits still happen in the graphics world? I would prefer my folks to use our sever fonts - which are Adobe, and not some junk font that may be named similar yet not an Adobe font., and send it out for publication. Font audits can prove very costly for using fonts you do not own. To me this is serious enough for a fix, though it is not a bug - it is a problem.

• 7. Re: System fonts

Have you considered a server based font management system? Extensis Universal Type Server may fit the bill but you can’t turn off required system fonts.

• 8. Re: System fonts
                        KenKollar Level 1

Yes actually - and am working to correct this currently. Thanks Bob. Was just wondering if there was another way. We are using UTS with UTCs.

I know some folks in the field that it would help, yet they do not have the knowledge to not use system fonts they may have downloaded to their desktop and are using the wrong fonts with knowing due to using the pull down. We replace fonts that are not on our system. Just was hoping there was a way for others to not use system fonts. Thanks again.