10 Replies Latest reply on Feb 10, 2014 3:58 PM by Peter Spier

Where can I download InDesign CS4?

thompsch Level 1

I purchased in the past and had to wipe my computer.  Trying to download the program again.  I have my serial number for activation.

• 1. Re: Where can I download InDesign CS4?
          Larry G. Schneider Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Try here but follow the directions explicitly

http://prodesigntools.com/tag/cs4

• 2. Re: Where can I download InDesign CS4?
            thompsch Level 1

Thank you for the response.  I have visited that site and tried to download the three files it says are required for Indesign cs4 for windows but each link gives me a 404 error.  Do you know any reliable sources to get this software download?

• 3. Re: Where can I download InDesign CS4?
              Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Did you actually read the page and follow the directions?

• 4. Re: Where can I download InDesign CS4?
                John Waller Adobe Community Professional & MVP

but each link gives me a 404 error.

You cannot just go to the page and click the links.

Follow the Very Important Instructions (steps 0 to 6) on the download page first.

THEN click the download links.

Do you know any reliable sources to get this software download?

You'll be hard pressed to find a more reliable source than the links at the prodesigntools page.

Follow the instructions and the links will work just fine.

• 5. Re: Where can I download InDesign CS4?
                  thompsch Level 1

I'm sorry, that was posted too soon.  I have the Adobe download assistant downloaded as well as the three files listed for ID cs4.  I clicked on the link in step 6 to the product installation instructions but am stuck there.  I have the 7z file and another file that is about 135mb but it isn't labeled a .exe file.  I am unable to get anything to execute.  If I click on them and specify the Adobe download manager as the program to run them, the download manager opens but nothing else happens. 

The instructions do say that they are for products downloaded with Akamai download manager.  Is that different than the Adobe download manager that I have?

All of your advice is very appreciated.  Again, apologies for the previuos oversight on the instructions...  Thanks

• 6. Re: Where can I download InDesign CS4?
                    Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

When you strictly follow John's advise you will get it. Any other way is not successful. Do it.

THe advise is to get the software WITHOUT the download manager.

• 7. Re: Where can I download InDesign CS4?
                      thompsch Level 1

I am still a bit confused.  I have followed John's instructions explicitly, steps 0-6 as he mentions.  Step 1 is to follow a link to download the Adobe download manager so I am unsure why you mention above that this is to download it without the download manager.  I followd the instructions and have the files downloaded into one folder on my desktop.

The last step, step 6 in the instructions, says to follow a link to the product installation instructions.  It says to make sure all of the files are completely downloaded (which mine are) then...

Important: Some Windows product downloads include two files: an .exe file and a .7z file. To install the software, it's necessary that both files are downloaded and located in the same folder. Otherwise, an error can appear when you start the installer. Errors include "Windows cannot open this file" and "The file archive part of Adobe [product name] is missing."

•  
                        Double-click the .exe file (Windows) or the .dmg file (Mac OS) that was downloaded. Follow the onscreen instructions to install the product

This is where I am stuck.  Of the three files that I downloaded, I have a .7z file but the other two just show they are "File" as their file type.  If I double click the .7z file it opens the Adobe download assistant but nothing else happens and there is nothing showing on the manager to suggest I can do anything else with it.  Also, at the top of the instructions page it says this

Important: These instructions are for products downloaded using Akamai Download Manager (Akamai NetSession Interface). These products include software purchased on the Adobe.com Store and some trial software, including Acrobat X Pro.

So my question above was if there is a difference between the Akamai Download Manager and the Adobe Download Assistant that I was directed to download when following the instructions on the previous page.

I feel like I am close.  I have the files, just not a .exe file.  The files that downloaded are large (550 mb file and a 135mb file) so I would think they are what I need to load the program.  However, I cannot get anything to run or load the files beyond where I am at.

• 8. Re: Where can I download InDesign CS4?
                        thompsch Level 1

The last step, step 6 in the instructions, says to follow a link to the product installation instructions.  It says to make sure all of the files are completely downloaded (which mine are) then...

Important: Some Windows product downloads include two files: an .exe file and a .7z file. To install the software, it's necessary that both files are downloaded and located in the same folder. Otherwise, an error can appear when you start the installer. Errors include "Windows cannot open this file" and "The file archive part of Adobe [product name] is missing."

Double-click the .exe file (Windows) or the .dmg file (Mac OS) that was downloaded. Follow the onscreen instructions to install the product

This is where I am stuck.  Of the three files that I downloaded, I have a .7z file but the other two just show they are "File" as their file type.  If I double click the .7z file it opens the Adobe download assistant but nothing else happens and there is nothing showing on the manager to suggest I can do anything else with it.  Also, at the top of the instructions page it says this

Important: These instructions are for products downloaded using Akamai Download Manager (Akamai NetSession Interface). These products include software purchased on the Adobe.com Store and some trial software, including Acrobat X Pro.

So my question above was if there is a difference between the Akamai Download Manager and the Adobe Download Assistant that I was directed to download when following the instructions on the previous page.

I feel like I am close.  I have the files, just not a .exe file.  The files that downloaded are large (550 mb file and a 135mb file) so I would think they are what I need to load the program.  However, I cannot get anything to run or load the files beyond where I am at.

• 9. Re: Where can I download InDesign CS4?
                          Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

As I wrote, this page is for downloads WITHOUT download manager. Do what it is written, save all downloaded files on exactly the very same place and install.

• 10. Re: Where can I download InDesign CS4?
                            Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

If you followed the instructions correctly you should not have used a download assistant at all, as I recall.