14 Replies Latest reply on Feb 1, 2014 10:42 AM by the_wine_snob

    Need help with getting an outline on an image!

    RyanAFC

      I Am currently using Photoshop and I have an image pasted onto a layer. I wish to get an outline of this character for me to then slightly edit however it won't let me do this. Anyone know how?

        • 2. Re: Need help with getting an outline on an image!
          RyanAFC Level 1

          Thanks a lot. Also is there a way I can remove colour from an image just keeping outlines? So I have a white image with black outlines?

          • 3. Re: Need help with getting an outline on an image!
            Jeffrey Tranberry Adobe Employee

            Image>Mode>Grayscale...

            • 4. Re: Need help with getting an outline on an image!
              Trevor.Dennis Adobe Community Professional (Moderator)

              Is this layer transparent around the image/object on the layer?  That is to say, with all other layers turned off, can you see the checkerboard background?

              • 5. Re: Need help with getting an outline on an image!
                RyanAFC Level 1

                Pplease excuse me as I am relatively new to Photoshop. The picture of the guy with the hood, I wish to just remove the colour from the picture while keeping the outlines. Is this possible? image.jpg

                • 7. Re: Need help with getting an outline on an image!
                  BKKDon Level 4

                  You have started so many threads for the same thing, and have got answers all over the place!!!  That makes it diffiuclt for you and the people answering you.

                   

                  You have been told how to remove the colour, and told how to produce line art.  However, that was before seeing the above image, which does not have enough information to produce line art.  You could turn it into a Silhouette using Curves or Levels.  Is that what you mean?

                   

                  Please don't start any other threads. (I having to try very hard not to qualify that comment)

                  • 8. Re: Need help with getting an outline on an image!
                    BKKDon Level 4

                    BKKDon wrote:

                     

                    You have started so many threads for the same thing, and have got answers all over the place!!!  That makes it diffiuclt for you and the people answering you.

                     

                    You have been told how to remove the colour, and told how to produce line art.  However, that was before seeing the above image, which does not have enough information to produce line art.  You could turn it into a Silhouette using Curves or Levels.  Is that what you mean?

                     

                    Please don't start any other threads. (I having to try very hard not to qualify that comment)

                     

                    Not sure who is using this ID but it seems to be a MVP type person by the replies posted ... This is NOT BkkDon.

                    • 9. Re: Need help with getting an outline on an image!
                      PhotoRoy1 Level 1

                      Since RyanAFC has only 6 posts and 4 of them on on this thread it is impossible for him to be posting all over the place.

                      • 10. Re: Need help with getting an outline on an image!
                        Trevor.Dennis Adobe Community Professional (Moderator)

                        I wrote #7, plus several other posts around that time which were accredited to BKKDon.  The forum appears to have got its knickers in a twist.   The only thing that comes to mind, is that I had a number of browser tabs open at that time, at least two of which repling to BKKDon posts.  (I was trying to make sense of all the different threads (s)he had started apparently on the same subject.)

                         

                        So forum crashing and burning aside, did you (BKKDon) get the answer you were looking for, and are you going to limit the number of threads you start for a single issue?

                        • 11. Re: Need help with getting an outline on an image!
                          Noel Carboni Level 8

                          I just saw a post over on the forum comments section about posts being attributed to the wrong person.

                           

                          Never a dull moment with Jive forumware.

                           

                          If you could figure out how to get that to happen on purpose (post comments under someone else's name), imagine how much trouble you could stir up... 

                           

                          And yes, RyanAFC DID post a number of different threads on the subject - then just disappeared once some answers started coming in.  Hope he didn't get fired for not being able to produce a sketch of Darth Vader.

                           

                          And I'm not sure whether you might have also confused two different folks somewhere in all this, Trevor.  Or I have.

                           

                          -Noel

                          • 12. Re: Need help with getting an outline on an image!
                            BKKDon Level 4

                            Trevor Dennis wrote:

                             

                            I wrote #7, plus several other posts around that time which were accredited to BKKDon.  The forum appears to have got its knickers in a twist.   The only thing that comes to mind, is that I had a number of browser tabs open at that time, at least two of which repling to BKKDon posts.  (I was trying to make sense of all the different threads (s)he had started apparently on the same subject.)

                             

                            So forum crashing and burning aside, did you (BKKDon) get the answer you were looking for, and are you going to limit the number of threads you start for a single issue?

                             

                            Hi Trevor,

                             

                            It wasn't me who started the threads ....if I look at the threads it is RyanAFC, Adri Ferrari, Birck and Michael Walton ... I was on the Lightroom forum replying to a question about upgrades.

                             

                            Don.

                            • 13. Re: Need help with getting an outline on an image!
                              Trevor.Dennis Adobe Community Professional (Moderator)

                              Noel Carboni wrote:

                               

                              I just saw a post over on the forum comments section about posts being attributed to the wrong person.

                               

                              Never a dull moment with Jive forumware.

                               

                              If you could figure out how to get that to happen on purpose (post comments under someone else's name), imagine how much trouble you could stir up... 

                               

                              -Noel

                               

                              In the early days of Usenet we used mail-to-news clients via DOS, and then with Windows 3.1.  The headers for each post were in a seperate text file to the body of the post, so you could edit them directly.  You could invent any path you liked, and additional path would be added as the posts wended their way around the world.  So, while the end user might see Demon (which _all_ UK posters had to use because it ws the only option), they would see a list of servers around the world preceeding it.

                               

                              The only thing you couldn't 'spoof' was the NNTP Posting Client, but you could get pretty damn close with creative use of ASCII.  As a consequence, you never knew who was posting what sometimes.

                               

                              This was a long time ago, but probably not so long that I should have been old enough to know better, but there was nothing more enjoyable back then than an organised 'raid' on a particular Usenet group.  I think I got just the one AUP (Acceptable Use Policy) sent to me, but a lot of my buddies either recieved long account suspensions, or were banned altogether.

                               

                              It's all still there on Google in groups like rec.motorcycles and rec.motorcycles.harley 

                               

                              The mail-to-news gateways were all closed after the very first spammers discovered them. 

                              • 14. Re: Need help with getting an outline on an image!
                                the_wine_snob Level 9

                                Noel,

                                 

                                I just saw a post over on the forum comments section about posts being attributed to the wrong person.

                                Yes, I recall that same thread, with Adobe-Admin, and some others, trying to sort out what happened, and how. Do not recall a full report on that ocurrance though. Also, that was the first report of such, that I can recall, at least with the Jive forums.

                                 

                                Odd indeed.

                                 

                                Hunt