22 Replies Latest reply on Feb 2, 2014 11:10 AM by the_wine_snob

Problems creating a 16:9 DVD menu with Elements 12

JesBo Level 1

Hi,

I'm new here and I need your help.

My system is a Macbook with OS 10.8.5, 8 GB RAM.

I try to create a dvd, for that I added a TS-file which I recorded on my Sat-Receiver (HD). The resolution is 16:9 (1280 x 720). When I go to the dvd menu creator and chose a layout, then change the background pic (which is also sized 1280 x 720) I get black bars on the top and the bottom, and the original pic is compressed.

Any ideas what I can do so that I don't get the black bars?

I also have another question. Is there a limit of the file size? I tried to import a TS file with 13 GB and the program crashes every time.

Would be great if someone could help me, thank you in advance

Jessie

• 1. Re: Problems creating a 16:9 DVD menu with Elements 12
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

What are your project settings, as listed under the program's Edit menu?

• 2. Re: Problems creating a 16:9 DVD menu with Elements 12
            JesBo Level 1

Hi, thanks for answering. The settings are:

AVCHD 720p, Framesize 1280 x 720. I will add a screenshot for more details. Bildschirmfoto 2014-01-31 um 17.57.39.png

These are the settings made by the program as I imported the file, I didn't make changes.

Thanks for any help.

Jessie

• 3. Re: Problems creating a 16:9 DVD menu with Elements 12
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

These project settings should produce a 16:9 DVD video. So I'm not sure why your 1280x720 image isn't filling the screen.

When you burn your video, do you still see black bars above and below the menu page image?

• 4. Re: Problems creating a 16:9 DVD menu with Elements 12
                JesBo Level 1

I haven't tried that yet. Weird thing is, when I chose the layout - without adding my background pic - it shows the main menu image with bars on top and bottom, also left and right side, but the scene menu is shown correct in 16:9. When I add my background pic, both menus are with bars. But I will try and burn it on a DVD and get back to you with the results.

• 5. Re: Problems creating a 16:9 DVD menu with Elements 12
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Jessie

I am understanding this as a Movie Menu issue.

What specific DVD Menu are you selecting for your AVCHD 720p24 project?

Be that as it may, this is the situation as I see it which seems to confirm what you are encountering.

You show that you have selected a 720p24 project preset (1280 x 720 pixel frame size). That project preset will direct the program as to which set of disc menus to display in the Movie Menu section (s, w, hd - representing 720 x 576, 720 x 576 16:9 flag, 1440 x 1080 respectively). With your 720p24 project preset, you should be seeing Movie Menu thumbnails for HD as well as non HD themes.

Based on your results, I think you are selecting one of the HD menus. When you do and when you select a 1280 x 720 still image as your background insert, you will see black borders. To eliminate the black borders, click on the image insert when on screen and then use the image's bounding box handles to size the insert to fit the insert area. If you had selected one of the non HD choices in Movie Menu, you would not have seen black borders with this 1280 x 720 still image insert..

Please review and then let me know if you need clarification on anything that I have written.

Thank you.

ATR

• 6. Re: Problems creating a 16:9 DVD menu with Elements 12
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Jessie

I did not see your latest post until I had posted mine.

So, I wanted to point out that the black borders seen in the Movie Menu preview section were not corrected in the end product burn to disc NTSC_Widescreen_Dolby DVD.

And, Scene Selection Page thumbnails displayed with black borders for the scenes. Also, not corrected by burn to DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc.

But, again, what specific disc menu are you using so we can do a one on one comparison.

Thanks.

ATR

• 7. Re: Problems creating a 16:9 DVD menu with Elements 12
                      JesBo Level 1

Hi ATR,

thanks a lot for that. You're right, I used one of the HD menus, so based on what you said I tried a non HD menu.

So, this one perfectly fits the screen on both, main and scene menu. But, as soon as I add another background picture sized 1280  x 720 I get black bars on top and bottom, not as wide as they were while using a HD theme though. But I can't eliminate them like you suggested. When I try to use the bounding box the whole pic scales, it seems like the bars are added to the pic.

Maybe there's a way to edit an existing menu layout, but I couldn't find them. I've done some research about that, but I can't find any files on my system, I guess they're hidden somewhere... Sorry for being such a pain, I used to work with Magix Video Deluxe under Windows, where I was able to create my own menus...

• 8. Re: Problems creating a 16:9 DVD menu with Elements 12
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Jessie

Thanks for the follow up.

You should be able to size your main menu inserts as well as the images in the scene thumbnails.

Which specific disc menu are you interested in? I will road test the whole thing and post screenshots to prove the point and make how to suggestions.

As for modifying existing disc menus, you need to get to the .psd files for the main and scene menus.

I wrote a very detailed account of Premiere Elements DVD Template Creation in 2010 when I frequented another forum.

http://www.elementsvillage.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56244

You might want to check it out. I do not visit that forum any longer, so if any questions about the thread cited, please ask me here at the Adobe Premiere Elements Forum.

The following is a link to one of my blog posts on modifying existing disc menus for a specific circumstance.

http://www.atr935.blogspot.com/2013/05/pe-one-page-14-scene-buttons-dvd-menu.html

If the black borders are your only concern, we should be able to adjust them out without having you create new menus.

Please review and then we can discuss this further if you want to.

Thanks.

ATR

• 9. Re: Problems creating a 16:9 DVD menu with Elements 12
                          JesBo Level 1

Hi ATR,

I thank you.

Actually I don't really like one of them, but there are 2 or 3 I could work with, I will add a screenshot as I don't know the names in English. All the others have too many inserts on it which I can't remove...

So, if there's a way to get rid off the black bars I think that would be great for now (I still don't find the psd-files on my hard drive, and I don't have Photoshop, I work with Gimp).

Again thanks,

Jessie

Bildschirmfoto 2014-02-01 um 09.48.10.png

Bildschirmfoto 2014-02-01 um 09.48.29.png

Bildschirmfoto 2014-01-31 um 20.31.04.png

• 10. Re: Problems creating a 16:9 DVD menu with Elements 12
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

Jessie

Just starting my day and will do this right now.

I will be using 1280 x 720 inserts (where applicable) and a AVCHD 720p24 project. I give you the full details about replacement opportunities in those menus as models.

More soon today.

ATR

• 11. Re: Problems creating a 16:9 DVD menu with Elements 12
                              JesBo Level 1

Hi ATR,

I really appreciate your help. My day is almost over, so maybe I'll be not back until tomorrow, but I'm really looking forward, thanks again.

Jessie

• 12. Re: Problems creating a 16:9 DVD menu with Elements 12
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

Jessie

I started with Weddings Elegant. With the AVCHD 720p24 project preset...

The thumbnails for the scenes in the Scene Selection Menu have no black borders. However, the menu does not come with a background replacement insert area. Bottom line: if you want to change the main menu background on this one (no black borders), you will need to go into the theme's main menu .psd and change the Background Layer Group. I will tell you how next time.

I cannot determine what that other menu is? Any help on identifying it? What category are you finding it under?

More later.

ATR

• 13. Re: Problems creating a 16:9 DVD menu with Elements 12
                                  JesBo Level 1

Hi ATR,

the other menu is in the kid's corner?, for me it's the last menu to chose, something like "Good-Night-Theme". Also the 3rd pic, but this one is a HD menu, also in the kid's corner.

What I don't get, I just tried it again with the wedding menu, and now there are also bars in the main menu...Bildschirmfoto 2014-02-01 um 20.12.23.png

And yes, I've specifically chosen a theme without an insert area as I thought I could change the whole background, but like I said before, I get black bars as soon as I add another pic. The same happens when I change the pic in the scene menu.

Bildschirmfoto 2014-02-01 um 20.13.33.png

Thanks,

Jessie

• 14. Re: Problems creating a 16:9 DVD menu with Elements 12
                                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Jessie

Here goes.

Part 1. Premiere Elements 12. Wedding/Elegant Disc Menu.

Objective

Wedding/Elegant Theme with your full replacement background by

• Replacing Background Layer Set for the Elegant_pal_s_mm.psd (for MainMenu)
                                    • And/or Replacing Background Layer Set for the Elegant_pal_s_sm.psd (for Scene Menu)

Elegant_pal_s_mm.psd and Elegant_pal_s_sm.psd are found in the Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit path:

Local Disc C

Program Data

Adobe

Premiere Elements

DVD Templates

All_Lang

Wedding

(V) Elegant

1. Copy the two .psd files cited above and paste them inside a folder that you create for them on the computer desktop. To avoid confusion, rename the files to

Elegant_pal_s_mm.psd

and

2 Elegant_pal_s_sm.psd

Name the folder that they are in 2 Elegant.

From the 2 Elegant Folder edit the .psd to replace its original Background Layer Set with the photo of your choice.

• Size your personal photo to fit the space provided which is in accord with the required .psd file sizeof 720 x 576 pixels. Delete the original Background Layer Set, and name the new  Layer Set Background.
                                    • Now take the 2 Elegant Folder with these two edited .psd files and place them in the following path which I prefer.

Local Disc C

Program Files

Adobe

Premiere Elements 11.0

DVD Templates

Common

In the Common Folder create a new folder name My Special Menus. And in the Special Menus Folder, place the 2 Elegant Folder.

• When you open Premiere Elements 12 with the NTSC AVCHD AVCHD LITE 720p24 project preset and use the Wedding Elegant menu, the photo of your choice (placed there in the .psd file) will present without black borders in the Movie Menu Screen.
                                    • Do not attempt to replace the Background in the Movie Menu customization area of the project. If you want another Background repeat the path described above.

Considerations

• Wedding/Elegant is a special type of Adobe menu design where the main menu .psd has a “dummy” Background which is overwritten in the project by a .swf video that is in the Online Folder. The .swf file involved is named "elegant_pal_s_mm_bg.swf".
                                    • This Adobe menu is designed with just a “s” (standard) and “w” (widescreen) set of .psd files; whereas many menus have a "hd" high definition set of .psd files as well as the “s” and “w”. Since you are working with a "hd" project, the program decides which set you get of the only two choices. Oddly, with the NTSC AVCHD AVCHD LITE 720p24, the program opts to present you with the “s” set for the .psd. This can be verified by inspecting the Notepad document for the saved project.prel with menu applied.
                                    • There may be other schemes to achieve the end result. But this one seemed the path of least resistance.
                                    • Since you do not have to open Layer Sets, you should be able to do the background replacements with Photoshop Elements or Photoshop. When you need to get into the Layer Sets, then you need Photoshop CS or higher and it is hard to find a version of Photoshop Elements on a given computer system that will open the Layer Sets (very ify). I have no idea if you can do any of this .psd editing with Gimp.
                                    • There were no problems with the fit of the images in the scenes of the Scene Selection Menu.

I tried all sorts of variations and tricks to avoid the black borders when trying to force a photo to fill the space provided in Movie Menu customization area within the program. The one above was the path of least resistance for me.

When I originally responded to your thread, I thought that you were having difficulties with the main menus with the insert spaces provided. No such luck.

On to the next menu that you mentioned.

ATR

• 15. Re: Problems creating a 16:9 DVD menu with Elements 12
                                      JesBo Level 1

Hi ATR,

I'm very sorry for the delay, but I had hard times trying this out First thing I can tell, it doesn't work with GIMP. I was able to edit the *psd files, I even was able to work with the layer sets, but when I saved it and started Premiere, then chose my layout, Premiere crashed with an error message.

So I had to find someone with a Photoshop version, run over there, edit, run back, and hooray, it worked

So with all this trial and error, I think I learnt a lot about the whole menu thing. I even found out that it's possible to combine two templates, main menu from one theme, scene menu from another theme. With this, I think I can go on from here and make my own menus like I want and need them.

I can't thank you enough for showing me the right way!!!

Jessie

• 16. Re: Problems creating a 16:9 DVD menu with Elements 12
                                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Jessie

Thanks for the update.

Based on what you wrote it would seem that you are OK with the disc menu situation. So, unless you want me to, I will hold off going through analysis for the other disc menus in which you cited interest in prior posts.

Not sure if you ran into it yet, but there is another maneuveur that might come in handy at the right moment. For a given menu theme, if you like a Scene Selection page, maybe more buttons than Main Menu page and you are going for a one page menu, you can switch the names for the main menu .psd and the scene menu .psd.

We will be watching for further developments and be ready to offer further assistance if needed. You have done a great job moving forward on this.

Thanks.

ATR

• 17. Re: Problems creating a 16:9 DVD menu with Elements 12
                                          the_wine_snob Level 9

JesBo,

I was able to edit the *psd files, I even was able to work with the layer sets, but when I saved it and started Premiere, then chose my layout, Premiere crashed with an error message.

When you tried to use the PSD's, edited in GIMP, what was the exact text of the error message?

I am curious why the PSD's, edited in GIMP would not work for you. While I have not used it in many, many years, I was under the impression that it would work in, and Save a PSD properly, but it appears that I am incorrect.

Thanks, and good luck,

Hunt

• 18. Re: Problems creating a 16:9 DVD menu with Elements 12
                                            A.T. Romano Level 7

Hunt

I have GIMP on another computer and will give it a try editing the disc menu .psd targeted here and let you know the results.

Possibilities for the Premiere Elements crash after the GIMP edit of the disc menu .psd could be:

a. GIMP edit

b. placement of the edited .psd in the Premiere Elements program files

c. other

Since Jessie was successful with the Photoshop edited .psd, I would think that should rule out "b".

So that leave "a" and the wide open "c". So let us see if I can confirm that "a" is or is not causing the crash.

More later.

ATR

• 19. Re: Problems creating a 16:9 DVD menu with Elements 12
                                              JesBo Level 1

Bill Hunt,

I made a screenshot of the error message:

Bildschirmfoto 2014-02-02 um 12.29.14.png

I assume it's because of the Mac Version of GIMP. It's a bit different as the Windows version, especially the saving part. I just can't "save" a file, I have to "overwrite" or "export as...". When I got the error, I always have overwritten the existing *psd file. Maybe I should try to export it, I will try that.

ATR,

thank you again for your help, but I think you can hold off with the other layouts. And no, I didn't know that I can switch the menues names, but I will sure try that, that's a great tip! Actually I don't need a main menu, just the scene menu.

Jessie

• 20. Re: Problems creating a 16:9 DVD menu with Elements 12
                                                the_wine_snob Level 9

Jessie,

Thank you for that information. Being a PC-only guy, can give one a narrow view of things, and also, it was many versions ago, that I last tested GIMP, so many things have likely changed there too.

Appreciated,

Hunt

• 21. Re: Problems creating a 16:9 DVD menu with Elements 12
                                                  JesBo Level 1

You're welcome, Hunt.

I just tried the other way and exported the edited *psd file, with the same result. Premiere crashed with the same error message. So I'll have to wait to get another chance to nerve my friend who has Photoshop

Jessie

• 22. Re: Problems creating a 16:9 DVD menu with Elements 12
                                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Jessie,

Curious behavior, and I have zero clue what is wrong with that Mac GIMP PSD. Only thing that even comes to mind would be the handling of PSD Layer Sets, which are the "backbone" of Menus/Menu Sets in PrE?

Glad that Ps is working for you. Because I owned Ps from the first day that it was ported to the PC (oh so very long ago), I never warmed to GIMP, so never used it, past my initial foray with the program.

I'll keep this tid-bit tucked away, incase I run across it again.

Today is a red-letter day, 'cause I have learned three things (two Mac-related), and it's not even Noon here!

Thanks for reporting.

Hunt