3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 31, 2014 3:37 PM by Peter Spier

Handing off a file: placed inDesign files

RuthK Level 1

I'm working in InDesign CC.

I have a catalogue which has multiple placed indesign files. I need to hand off this file to someone using CS6, so I would normally save the file as IDML. Do I need to also supply the placed inDesign files as IDML as well (which they would then relink if needed?)

That seems like the way to go but I forsee a potential for disaster

Ruth

• 1. Re: Handing off a file: placed inDesign files
          Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

I would recommend first of all make a package. Then open the file in the package and save as IDML. Then send thw whole packed folder. Later when you get it back, relink this file.

But it is not a good workflow to jump back and forward between different versions because every conversion to IDML causes some kind of damage to that file because newer features are not supported in the older version and IDM is not perfect in supporting every prroperty.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Handing off a file: placed inDesign files
            RuthK Level 1

Thanks, that's exactly what I have done. I appreciate your explanation re IDML as I will pass it on to the client.

Thankfully this is just a one off. On this occasion I've been given no choice and am being dragged into it kicking and screaming. I'm still hoping to get away with sending a PDF and just getting them to replace pages in Acrobat.

R

• 3. Re: Handing off a file: placed inDesign files
              Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

I can tell you from experience that CS5.5 would crash when trying to open a .idml file that referred to placed CS6 files, and I would presume CS6  will behave similarly if the placed files are CC.