5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 3, 2006 4:32 AM by Newsgroup_User

Text Heading 1 problem

Petunia2
      Hi,

When I create text with font 'Heading 1' it creates too much space beneath the text. There is too much gap between the text and anything below it.

I have tried closing the gap with CSS with no luck.

Is there a way to close this gap or is it just normal when you use H1?

Thanks!
        • 1. Re: Text Heading 1 problem
          Level 7
          > I have tried closing the gap with CSS with no luck.

CSS is the key. Tell us exactly what you have tried. A code snippet would be
          best.

Walt

"Petunia2" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
          news:earnbi$r73$1@forums.macromedia.com...
          > Hi,
          >
          > When I create text with font 'Heading 1' it creates too much space
          beneath the
          > text. There is too much gap between the text and anything below it.
          >
          > I have tried closing the gap with CSS with no luck.
          >
          > Is there a way to close this gap or is it just normal when you use H1?
          >
          > Thanks!
          >

• 2. Re: Text Heading 1 problem
            TCarp Level 1
            What did you put in the css style sheet for h1? Also, what follows the <h1><h1> in the html? A <p>, another <h1>, a <table>, ???
            • 3. Re: Text Heading 1 problem
              Petunia2 Level 1
              Hi,

The H1 text is in a table cell and direcly below it is another cell. I would like to close the gap between the text and the cell below it.

Here is the code:

<tr>
              <td> </td>
              <td colspan="2">
              <div align="right">
              <h1>Photography.</h1>
              </div>
              </td>
              </tr>

and the H1 CSS is:

H1 {font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 12px; color: #BFCDEA; text-decoration: none; line-height: 8px}

Many thanks for any assistance!
              • 4. Re: Text Heading 1 problem
                818g Level 1
                According to this code, it is only one table row with two (initially three) cells. There is a non breaking space in the first one. The second and the third cells were merged and a right-aligned h1 tag is in there.

As far as here is no cell below the text I really don't understand what gap you'd like to close.

>The H1 text is in a table cell and direcly below it is another cell. I would like to close the gap between the text and the cell below it.
                • 5. Re: Text Heading 1 problem
                  Level 7
                  Your table structure seems needlessly complex, but perhaps it make sense
                  in a larger context. The space between your <h1> tag and what is below
                  it is determined by:

1. The bottom margin settings on the <h1> tag

2. The bottom padding settings for the <h1> tag

3. The cell spacing value for the table (I can't tell what this is from
                  your code fragment since this goes in the <table> tag)

3. The cell padding value for the table (I can't tell what this is from
                  your code fragment since this goes in the <table> tag)

4. Whatever margin and/or padding settings apply to the element in your
                  table structure below the cell with the <h1> element

Since you have merged two cells in the fragment you provide it seems to
                  me likely that you may have merged other cells in the table. If so, the
                  height of the cell containing the <h1> may be affected by the height of
                  other cells in the table, causing the <h1> have more space below it than
                  you want. This is impossible to evaluate without seeing a compete page.

--
                  James M. Shook
                  http://www.jshook.com