7 Replies Latest reply on Apr 25, 2014 8:22 AM by i4nd90

Only 1 hour of audio in After Effects

MyD

I have a composition that is 1;08;23;15 in duration. It includes audio, video and jpg files. After exporting it to the Media Encoder Queue, and waiting the hours it takes to finish, I found that there is no sound for the first 8 minutes 23 seconds. I tried changing out the audio file, etc and still no audio.

I then tried making the composition duration longer - now at 1;20;22;29. I moved the audio ahead 9 minutes. If there was an issue with that audio file, the audio should have started at about 17.5 minutes into the video. But now the audio does not play until 20 minutes 22 seconds into the completed video.

Why would I only get 1 hour of audio?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

• 1. Re: Only 1 hour of audio in After Effects
          Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You haven't given us any technical information.

This is not something AE normally does, so we're going to have to troubleshoot.

For a start, what format is your audio file?

Is your audio file 41000Hz or 48000Hz or something else?

What is your OS?

What (exact) version of AE are you using? 12.2.0? 11.0.4? 10.5.1?

What are your computer's specs?

And aaaaaaanything else you can possibly think of that might help us figure out your problem.

• 2. Re: Only 1 hour of audio in After Effects
            MyD Level 1

-Specs:

Adobe AE CC 12.0.0

The audio file used in the composition is a wav file @ 48 kHz

Windows 7 Professional

64-bit AMD Phenom II x4 955 Processor 3.21GHz

8.00 GB RAM (6.5 GB allocated for using Adobe AE, Photshop , etc - I was previously using an older version of Adobe products and if I didn't have the much RAM shared for when using these, it was impossible).

-The output for the final video is H.264 "Match source - High bitrate", Video: 1280x720 video, 29.97 fps; Audio: AAC, 320 kbps, 48 kHz, Stereo

-There must be some box somewhere that I have/have not checked that's limiting the audio output, but I can't find it.

-I have a MOV video file (which in this composition, I have turned the video sound off), the one wav audio file (which is the cleaned up audio from the aforementioned video file), and some jpgs. Basically I pulled out the audio from a video. I edited the stripped out audio (noise reduction, makings some points louder so speakers could be heard, etc) - really basic stuff. Now I want to sync the cleaned-up audio file with the original video and add in a few transitions/intros (jpgs).

-In the output video,everything has rendered correctly, except I am only getting the last hour's worth of sound. The sound suddenly cuts in (and sounds fine) at 8 minutes 23 seconds into the video (when the total video time is 1 hour, 8 minutes, 23 seconds).

-If there is something else in the creative cloud that would work better/easier, let me know. AE and Adobe's audio editing software is the biggest pain in my azz, but I don't know what else I could use that I have already paid for or is free.

• 3. Re: Only 1 hour of audio in After Effects
              Todd_Kopriva Level 8

Update to After Effects CC (12.2). There are a lot of bug fixes that you are missing.

http://adobe.ly/DVA_updates

• 4. Re: Only 1 hour of audio in After Effects
                MyD Level 1

I've clicked on Help for AE, AI and Photoshop. The "updates" option is grayed out/not selectable. Going into Apps in the Creative Cloud Bridge, everything is listed as "up to date" with a green check mark. I'm the admin for this, so that's not the issue. I've also tried disabling my firewall temporarily to see if it was blockign my access somehow.

• 5. Re: Only 1 hour of audio in After Effects
                  Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I'm not discounting your problem syncing audio but I'd never do a project like the one you describe entirely  inside AE... Do your effects shots in AE, but edit in Premiere Pro and export there. That's a much more efficient workflow. You'll have a better opportunity to judge your final product and it will save you a bunch of time in the long run.

Try using the Creative Cloud App to update... If that doesn't work, simply uninstall AE and re-install with the CC app.

• 6. Re: Only 1 hour of audio in After Effects
                    MyD Level 1

I did all of the video/image elements in AE. Then used Premiere Pro to add in the audio. Worked like a champ (after I figured out how to use it). Thanks so much everyone!

• 7. Re: Only 1 hour of audio in After Effects
                      i4nd90

I had the same problem as illustrated in http://forums.adobe.com/message/5989646

i4nd90 wrote:

My work flow is now to complete my compisition in AE, split it up into chunks (usually only need 2) and then import them both into a Premiere sequence. Render that, and you're away. Hope the workaround benefits someone out there...