9 Replies Latest reply on Jun 21, 2006 4:09 AM by Newsgroup_User

deleting text on existing image

Alf_enterprises
      Hi there,
      I was wondering as I have looked and looked and looked and dont know how to do this.

I have a template that I want to use some of the images etc. Anyway, one of them has an image and I am editing it in Fireworks. I want to get rid of the text but don't want to use Marquee tool where you just change the colour. As then I will lose the background. The background is pretty hard to copy or near impossible.
      Is there any way I can delete the text but still keep the background?
      Thanks heaps
      Larissa
        • 1. Re: deleting text on existing image
          Level 7
          Alf_enterprises wrote:
          > Hi there,
          > I was wondering as I have looked and looked and looked and dont know how to do
          > this.
          >
          > I have a template that I want to use some of the images etc. Anyway, one of
          > them has an image and I am editing it in Fireworks. I want to get rid of the
          > text but don't want to use Marquee tool where you just change the colour. As
          > then I will lose the background. The background is pretty hard to copy or near
          > impossible.
          > Is there any way I can delete the text but still keep the background?

Not if the image is already a bitmap in which case the text is not text
          but just pixels as the rest of the image. To better judge if the image
          can be salvaged at all you should post it on a site and give us a link.

You mention that this comes from a template. Most commercial templates
          come with editable Photoshop or Fireworks file. Did your template come
          with one? where does the template come from?

--
          St�phane Bergeron
          reach:connect:communicate
          www.webfocusdesign.com
          blog:tutorials:articles:gallery
          www.pixelyzed.com
          • 3. Re: deleting text on existing image
            Level 7
            Alf,

It can be done but you will have to exercise some patience.

For the section where it says Slogan Here use the Stamp tool to copy
            over a pattern from the right of the text.

For the section where it says Your nice Company I would create a
            rectangle over most of it, feather the edges, give it a linear gradient
            and pick the colors of the gradient from just outside the rectangle on
            the left and right sides.
            For the horizontal lines you will have to create a 1 pixel high
            rectangle and give it a gradient fill. Copy and Paste for the rest of
            the lines.
            For the verticals create a 1 pixel soft line select the color from the
            existing lines close by.
            Use the Opacity slider for each line to make them blend in.

alex

Alf_enterprises wrote:
            > " http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a193/missy_1983/main01.jpg"
            > Click on the link....
            >
            • 4. Re: deleting text on existing image
              Level 7
              Alf_enterprises wrote:
              > " http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a193/missy_1983/main01.jpg"

I'm asking again. Where does the template come from? Did you have an
              editable .psd (Photoshop) or .png (Fireworks) in the package?

--
              St�phane Bergeron
              reach : connect : communicate
              http://www.webfocusdesign.com
              blog : tutorials : articles : gallery
              http://www.pixelyzed.com
              • 5. Re: deleting text on existing image
                Alf_enterprises Level 1
                It comes from here

http://www.comteche.com

And when I opened it in fireworks it did ask me if I wanted to open it as a file or as a PNG. I didn't try the PNG. I don't even know what PNG is....how stupid I know.
                Theres too much to learn.... it supposed to be a template and it is so hard to change it...urghhhhh

Thanks heaps for the advice...
                Its for my partners business. They want a website and I know a fair bit... just not up with the images thing yet... getting there
                • 6. Re: deleting text on existing image
                  Level 7
                  Alf_enterprises wrote:
                  > It comes from here
                  >
                  > http://www.comteche.com
                  >
                  > And when I opened it in fireworks it did ask me if I wanted to open it as a
                  > file or as a PNG. I didn't try the PNG. I don't even know what PNG is....how
                  > stupid I know.
                  > Theres too much to learn.... it supposed to be a template and it is so hard to
                  > change it...urghhhhh
                  >
                  > Thanks heaps for the advice...
                  > Its for my partners business. They want a website and I know a fair bit...
                  > just not up with the images thing yet... getting there

OK. I downloaded one of their sample templates and it does come with
                  editable Photoshop files. That can complicate things as you work in
                  Fireworks but the one i opened from the sample download opened without
                  fuss. A lot of elements were flattened to bitmaps but most of the text
                  was editable as text. In the ZIP file you downloaded when you purchased
                  your template from there, there's probably a folder called "psd"
                  somewhere. Open the appropriate file in there (there were 4 different
                  "pages" in the sample) and you should be able to edit the text as it
                  won't be flattened (or rasterized). You will probably need to slice the
                  layout to be able to export the images you need into the template's HTML
                  code. Don't hesitate to ask further questions after you find and open
                  the Photoshop file.

If you edit the file in any way, just remember to save it right away as
                  a native editable Fireworks PNG file. That way you will keep text and
                  other elements editable. You'll export Web optimized files later.

HTH!

--
                  St�phane Bergeron
                  www.webfocusdesign.com
                  www.pixelyzed.com
                  • 7. Re: deleting text on existing image
                    Alf_enterprises Level 1
                    Okay I have another problem. Can I open it with anything other than Adobe paintshop, corel draw or microsoft paintshop? I don't have any of them. Is there any free ones? Or can I use the trial version to do it?

Sorry I know this is such a pain and thanks so much for this.
                    I have no idea when it comes to this type of stuff.
                    • 8. Re: deleting text on existing image
                      Level 7
                      Like St�phane said - go ahead and open the PSD file in Fireworks and
                      save it as a PNG file.

alex

Alf_enterprises wrote:
                      > Okay I have another problem. Can I open it with anything other than Adobe
                      > paintshop, corel draw or microsoft paintshop? I don't have any of them. Is
                      > there any free ones? Or can I use the trial version to do it?
                      >
                      > Sorry I know this is such a pain and thanks so much for this.
                      > I have no idea when it comes to this type of stuff.
                      >
                      • 9. Re: deleting text on existing image
                        Level 7
                        Alex Mari�o wrote:
                        > Like St�phane said - go ahead and open the PSD file in Fireworks and
                        > save it as a PNG file.

Yeah... that's what I meant :-). Sorry if I haven't been clear. Just
                        open the PSD files in Fireworks and work from there.

--
                        St�phane Bergeron
                        www.webfocusdesign.com
                        www.pixelyzed.com